Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Whispered wrote: »
    Ammonia salt? Sounds interesting!

Tastes like wee. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was going to ask but didn't want to seem stupid :D

Is it a Scandinavian thing?

I used to work with a man who had a Finnish girlfriend. Loooooong shifts with a lot of time to fill. One night we managed to convince him that while visiting his gf's home town he had eaten "pissfish". I know there is a proper name for it but that is what we decided to call it. Poor fella was disgusted. Selective reading of wiki paragraphs helped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Is it a Scandinavian thing?

Yeah, I think Dutch people are into it as well. It's just unbelievably awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Ya, i had it when a Finnish coworker brought it in. The outer coating was like a vaguely unpleasant salty sweet, but when i broke through to the center i almost cried. I asked him was it some sort of sick joke, but he genuinely liked them (As i gather they all do in Scandinavian regions).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Dutch usually call it "zoute drop" or "salty liquorice" although it's not normal salt but ammonium chloride that's used. I have a Swedish hillwalking friend who regularly brings back bags of small fish shaped salty liquorice called "salty fish" and offers them round to unsuspecting people to try and then laughs wryly when they pucker up their faces :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Indeed. I asked if the poster enjoyed it, I've never come across anyone who's actually eaten this. As far as I was aware, it was a 'joke' that Americans love to indulge.

I have done a number of times, maybe you should control your sense of outrage, you're very quick to get your back up.

Response seems over the top alright, I'm sure everyone here has seen food combos that surprise them and that they'd be doubtful on whether they like them. Isn't this forum about educating others on new ways to eat food, amongst other things? Your initial pot seemed fine, albeit a bit shocked.

I'd honestly feel a bit unwilling to ask people about unusual meals now, which seems a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Alun wrote: »
    The Dutch usually call it "zoute drop" or "salty liquorice" although it's not normal salt but ammonium chloride that's used. I have a Swedish hillwalking friend who regularly brings back bags of small fish shaped salty liquorice called "salty fish" and offers them round to unsuspecting people to try and then laughs wryly when they pucker up their faces :)

Salmiakki in Finland. Ugh, I've eaten it by accident when offered to me there. I even dislike normal liquorice so I don't know why I tried it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Response seems over the top alright, I'm sure everyone here has seen food combos that surprise them and that they'd be doubtful on whether they like them. Isn't this forum about educating others on new ways to eat food, amongst other things? Your initial pot seemed fine, albeit a bit shocked.

I'd honestly feel a bit unwilling to ask people about unusual meals now, which seems a shame really.

If you have a problem with a moderator's action feel free to send them or any of the moderating team a private message. Meanwhile, the thread has moved on.

As Faith said:

Faith wrote: »
    Our general rule here is "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". We don't want this forum to become a place where people won't post for fear of criticism. We'd ask that all posters respect this, and remember that your tastes may not be the same as others. That doesn't mean either of you are wrong, and it can be discussed in a polite and friendly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love love love salt licorice. Salmiaki vodka is great too:eek:

A couple of duck dinners from last week:

Pan fried duck breast. Roasted squashed baby potatoes, carrots and tomatoes with garlic and thyme. Wilted spinach. Blackcurrant jus.

oSm3Qk5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Very well browned :o duck confit. Wet polenta. Tenderstem broccoli with tomato sauce from home grown tomatoes.

6NsteEI.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I r sick *sniffle* so dinner was a whole Kerrygold garlic baguette with tea, followed by hot buttery toast and a bucket of tea. Cadbury's Mint Crisp for dessert with yet more tea.

Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Had a kids halloween party today so I've spent all day on my feet with nothing but sugar, so the hanger was setting in, nothing else for it but cheesy curry chips!

Is that on the menu in a chipper or do you have to request it? Or did you make It yourself. Never heard of cheesey curry chips but it sounds weirdly good. Like a curry chips and coleslaw sandwich. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the chipper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Curry cheese chips are amaaaaazing, they're not usually on the chipper menu but if you ask they'll do them for you!

Dying to try them now. With batch.

Dinner for me was wrap pizza, the sauce came out soooo well. Heavy hand with the garlic and oregano seems to be the trick for me :o. I had it with Sweet potato fries, corn cob and pesto mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Steak with swede and sweet potato wedges. I can't remember how it tasted - it was baby's first meal and I was terrified she was going to choke. Turns out she doesn't like swede!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Steak with swede and sweet potato wedges. I can't remember how it tasted - it was baby's first meal and I was terrified she was going to choke. Turns out she doesn't like swede!

It's probably too strong tasting, a little mashed with mostly potato would ease her in gently. Exciting times, introducing solids :)

Ah exciting. I was so excited about my fellas first meal. His first food was a broccoli floret and corn cob. So cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Is that on the menu in a chipper or do you have to request it? Or did you make It yourself. Never heard of cheesey curry chips but it sounds weirdly good. Like a curry chips and coleslaw sandwich. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the chipper!

I just did it at home, you haven't lived til you try it! It was a stable of my college days

Oven chips, lidl curry sauce (tastes like proper chip shop curry) and mountains of melting cheese, unhealthy and delicious in equal quantities :).

We had chicken curry last night. I really wanted chipper chips with it but I settled for onion rings on the side. Those frozen ones are handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Curry cheese chips are amaaaaazing, they're not usually on the chipper menu but if you ask they'll do them for you!

Curry Cheese Chips not on the menu?? Are they not everywhere these days?

I was once in Cavan around 1994 and asked for my usual curry cheese chips in a chipper, got a funny look and was handed a curry chips with an easi single on top of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jh79 wrote: »
    Curry Cheese Chips not on the menu?? Are they not everywhere these days?
    I have been searching just-eat for a few things lately to see how popular they are, and if they are in any takeaways near me.

273 hits for curry cheese chips. I don't think I ever had them.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=curry+cheese+chips+site%3Ajust-eat.ie&oq=curry+cheese+chips+site%3Ajust-eat.ie&aqs=chrome..69i57.9768j0j8&client=ubuntu&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&q=%22curry+cheese+chips%22+site:just-eat.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

One of my best friends came over last night so I cooked steak, chips, peas, fried onions and mushrooms, and pepper sauce.

It was delicious.

Got the regular rib eye's in Dunnes the other day for €5.99 for a pack of two. Not as nice as the Aldi ones but nice enough, and after enough alcohol the taste doesn't matter once you're fed.

Tonight both of my best friends are coming over so I am doing my Nandos style chicken in pitta with salad, some chips, some salad and more alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Last night, slow braised pork ribs and a kinda potato onion fry up. Lovely.

Tonight, 8 hour slow cooked shin beef with dumplings. I always threaten to post pictures and don't but will try tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Quick lazy dinner here.

I made my brucetta topping and ate it in a bowl with 2 extra ingredients.

Basic topping is chopped cherry tomatoes, parmesan, basil and olive oil drizzled over.

I added some scallions and crispy bacon to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Makood wrote: »
    Last night, slow braised pork ribs and a kinda potato onion fry up. Lovely.

Tonight, 8 hour slow cooked shin beef with dumplings. I always threaten to post pictures and don't but will try tonight!

No dumplings and looks rough but was really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Roast Hake on a bed of sliced potatoes riddled with onions garlic and olive oil. The Hake fillet was nearly a foot long, enough for two adults and a small child but I soldiered on and enjoyed every morsel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Roast topside of beef, medium rare, roast potatoes, roast carrots and onion gravy, followed by Hallowe'en sweets. :pac:

We got a takeaway. Honestly one of the nicest Chinese takeaways I've ever eaten from is in our little town. Open kitchen and all.

We shared a portion of veg chowmein, springrolls and chilli sauce. I wanted spice and extra garlic to help fight off a cold and they delivered on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

picked up some of this phal sauce in wales yesterday on way home ,pataks ... anyone use it,if so is it the real deal?

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/images/large/QWOP2126.jpg

update on the pataks phal , made a beef phal with some half price sirloin,cut into strips and coated in jalfrezi spice mix,fried onion,green pepper ..took out,added meat to hot pan and seared it well,add jar of phal and cook for 15 mins .. i like a bit of heat and it delivered, its as hot as a in house sit down curry madras,if not a tad hotter. delicious i have to say.

and its full of flavour.

would recommend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement