Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We're having a bit of a 'Well, it's not MY turn to go shopping' standoff at the moment so until someone cracks (*not* me) it's store cupboard dinners round mine, no matter how random those dinners might be. Tonight I made a tomato & cream sauce (sour cream - fresh cream would have been nicer) with leftover chickpeas, sausages, green beans and parmesan.

It was tasty if sour from the cream. Imagine sour cream making food sour! Why did it surprise me so much that that happened?

52252948-0de0-4a3b-87d9-d221a9ce7bea_zps98aa564e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Lamb rogan josh from the slow cooker. Very nice indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Last night was a pasta bake with garlic, leek, sausage, mushroom, mozzarella and feta, along with purple sprouting broccoli. Tonight I was exhausted after a horrific day at work that involved dealing with power cuts, falling branches, car crashes and computer failures so I threw together a kind of half stirfry half salad thing. Pak choice, garlic, chicken, tomato, avocado, lime, coriander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Elbow wrote: »
    Any chance of a recipe for this, looks fantastic!
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/654053 - It's basically this, only using milk chocolate instead of dark, and no cocoa powder (just because I only noticed it was needed after I had started. Would probably still leave it out though since I don't like things to be too chocolatey; becomes very sameish in my opinion).

Looking back, my mistake might have been leaving them in a good bit too long - I was looking at them more like brownies and less like cheesecake, so tried to get rid of the 'wobbly' middle. Plus I cooked them in cardboard instead of metal, which probably messed with the heat spreading around evenly.

I might try it with a 'better' mix for the cheesecake bit in future - this one is particularly good: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2869/new-york-cheesecake . Might help it settle better.

Also be REALLY careful, gentle and most importantly minimal when swirling and only use a skewer, nothing thicker. I tried this before a few months back and used a fork - the brownie basically just ate all the colour of the cheesecake before I even put it in the over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We were meant to go to a friend's surprise birthday dinner but it was cancelled due to the vile weather. So we opted for an Indian takeaway as we also had a power cut. Had chicken tikka to start, some dopiaza, saag aloo AND a naan and now I feel sick. I over indulged like Elvis at an all you can eat buffet and am paying for it now, woe is me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

We had chicken, ham and mushroom vol-au-vents - not very exciting, but finished off with chocolate cake

9eqc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Chicken vol au vonts here too, a late dinner after waiting for the power to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Dolbert wrote: »
    Lamb rogan josh from the slow cooker. Very nice indeed!

Can you share the recipe please and thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

cofy wrote: »
    We had chicken, ham and mushroom vol-au-vents - not very exciting, but finished off with chocolate cake

Do you have a link to the recipe for that cake? It looks AMAZING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Oven baked cod with lime and glenstall butter, seasoned with S&P. Sat on a bed of cannelloni beans with red onion, garlic, avocado, asparagus, cucumber, cherry toms on the vine, lime juice and a few chilli flakes for a kick.

489E232F-0D08-4D1F-B2D5-6CB369D27355_zpsc2x8t32n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Can you share the recipe please and thanks?

No probs! Mine is adjusted to be low-FODMAP due to husband's IBS (before anyone starts to bemoan the lack of onion & garlic). You could also replace some of the root veg with cauliflower. I use the M&S Indian spice kits as they're on the 'approved' list.

Coat 750g diced lamb (I used shoulder) in the first spice kit sachet.
    Sear in a hot pan with garlic-infused olive oil* and diced spring onion (green part)*
    Line the slow cooker with 2 chopped carrots*, 2 finely chopped peppers and a handful of baby potatoes, sliced. Add the lamb.
    Add a tin of tomatoes, 100ml Just Bouillon stock*, the second spice kit sachet, a few tablespoons of natural yoghurt, a squeeze of tomato paste, a drop of lime juice, and a few shakes of dried ginger and dried coriander. Add more chilli if you wish.
    Cook on low for 8 or so hours, serve with basmati rice.

*Dietary adjustments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

tmc86 wrote: »
    Oven baked cod with lime and glenstall butter, seasoned with S&P. Sat on a bed of cannelloni beans with red onion, garlic, avocado, asparagus, cucumber, cherry toms on the vine, lime juice and a few chilli flakes for a kick.

<mod snip>

What is it about Glenstal butter? It's bloody amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fiddlechic wrote: »

Fermentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

For dinner tonight we had breakfast pizza!

D4202BB9-60F5-499B-BDD5-0179EB1A61CB_zps34afxnyf.jpg

And the base test.......

D6C47716-BEBD-4916-BD8F-94EB99E31F38_zpsdofxksfc.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ wow ^^^

Just finished breaded chicken, celeriac and apple slaw, sweet potato fries with tomato relish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Shorba - a lamb soup with tomato, chickpeas and small pieces of pasta. Served with a little rose harissa and a squeeze of lemon. Bread to dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Good, ol' fashioned beef stew like my Nan used to make. Got a bit carried away with the amount I put in, so that's what I'll be having between now & Sunday. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having roast baby potatoes and roast chicken legs that were marinading in soy sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic, chillie flakes and some dried herbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Do you have a link to the recipe for that cake? It looks AMAZING.

Thank you. I don't have a link as it is my own recipe but here it is.

110g butter
    60g muscavado sugar
    50g caster sugar
    140g self raising flour
    30g Bournville cocoa powder
    20g Cadburys cocoa powder
    Half teaspoon baking powder
    1 cap full (drop) vanilla extract
    2 medium eggs
    Enough milk to bring the mixture to a dropping consistancy
    A fist of chocolate chips.

The chocolate chips keep the cake moist.

The topping is just
    125g of chocolate 50% cocoa
    70mls approx of cream
    and icing sugar to taste.

Filling
    Remainder of carton of cream
    1 teaspoon of icing sugar
    Fruit of choice (pear, strawberry)

The ingredients for the cake are a bit long winded, but it does make for a lovely light cake.

If you are using the mixture to make buns use a conventional oven as they are so light they will be a bit lobsided in a fan oven.

Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

cofy wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Enjoy.:)

I'll be down for a slice of that mrs!....;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Thanks so much, appreciate that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight we were planning to eat leftovers from an Indian takeaway - half cartons of lamb kadai and chicken bhuna from the freezer - with some rice. But then a friend joined us unexpectedly for dinner so I needed more food! Following a suggestion from the meatless thread I made potato, spinach and pea samosas. They were incredible. I threw a naan in the oven and steamed some basmati and, with a jar of mango chutney on the side, the three of us had ourselves a feast!

Oh and there was mango lassi, red wine and chai tea enjoyed also. :)

I don't know but I can't get enough!

Last night I grilled some Pork chops seasoned with S&P and a light dusting of Cayenne Pepper. Served on a bed of grilled brussel sprouts, sauteed leeks & red onion and lentils cooked in some Worcestershire sauce.

EFA2C3BC-41D3-4A41-A2B5-CBF650FBD4D8_zpskibu4gpq.jpg

Last night I grilled some Pork chops seasoned with S&P and a light dusting of Cayenne Pepper. Served on a bed of grilled brussel sprouts, sauteed leeks & red onion and lentils cooked in some Worcestershire sauce.

Stupid question maybe, but how did you grill the brussels sprouts? I have visions of sprouts rolling around like mad in a grill pan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Stupid question maybe, but how did you grill the brussels sprouts? I have visions of sprouts rolling around like mad in a grill pan!

I imagine he sliced them first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We reset the counter on the 'Who's been doing all the grocery shopping' clock last night by both going to Tesco so got to have dinner that didn't have a tin of beans and some frozen leftovers in it. We had a nice, simple chicken salad and garlic bread (garlic bread!! we never, ever have garlic bread! What a glorious day)

6ca46b39-f591-405a-9f31-10b05ab97e25_zps65dbc36c.jpg

Ha a sprout free for all!

I boiled them for about 4/5 mins, plunged them in cold water and sliced in half.

The pork was grilled in a griddle pan so I just lumped them in too lying them on their "cut" side. Some charred better than others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

We don't do Valentine's, but tonight's 'romantic' dinner will be spaghetti Bolognese; it was the first meal he cooked for me when we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    We don't do Valentine's, but tonight's 'romantic' dinner will be spaghetti Bolognese; it was the first meal he cooked for me when we met.

I think you're in denial about "not doing Valentine's".
    Enjoy.
    I had spag bol up a mountain for lunch. Think a couple of beers and a fantastic donner kebab from a little hut for dinner. Home tomorrow :-(

• Advertisement

Ha a sprout free for all!

I boiled them for about 4/5 mins, plunged them in cold water and sliced in half.

The pork was grilled in a griddle pan so I just lumped them in too lying them on their "cut" side. Some charred better than others

I was worried about grilling alone! Boil/blanch quite the thing!

I just had a very romantic meal - I devoured Delia's 4 cheese souffle omelette. My love affair with cheese celebrated beautifully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement