Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had carbonara. I said I would cook on the basis he would keep my wine topped up. Worked out to be a good deal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My plans for a highly calorific romantic dinner tonight went the way of an evening spent in the Fonthill Retail Park ("The Most Romantic Place on Earth" tm) and also the way of having booked flights for my actual dream holiday last night that I need to lose my cauldron (it's well past the pot stage) belly for. So currently I am having an Aperol Spritz and later we will have more chicken salad.

Tomorrow I'm getting Cheesecake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had roast beef, carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight we had a great valentines.

We had four friends over and we enjoyed a rich lasagna (I spent half the day cooking it), a tasty spinach, rocket, tomato and picante pepper salad dressed with evoo, balsamic, maple syrup and wholegrain mustard, with coleslaw and garlic bread. Lots of great wine, a nice Chianti and a Riesling we got as a gift from a friend's vineyard. Hazlenut coffee and dark chocolate for after, followed by a group excursion to the local cinema to watch a showing of Sleepless in Seattle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Beef bourguignon

294097.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had planned to cook at home (or maybe the old reliable M&S dine in for 2 for real simplicity) but we got a last minute child minding offer (said children have told me its not babysitting or the tv controls go 'missing'!)

To be honest I wasnt jumping at the idea as most restaurants have specials etc on and I wasnt in the mood (not the best of times recently). So rang up one of our usual haunts and was told there was a Vals special menu :( but that the ala carte was also on:D

So the good lady had the special and we shared her starter of Scallops (very good) and desert banoffi (nicely presently but a bit too sweet for me but herself liked it but could finish it)

For mains it was the Rib eye off the Vals menu and the Fillet Surf n Turf (on a hot stone) for me. Neither were knock out but were were too bad and ticked the box (and Kenco didnt burn himself on the stone as he normally does!)

The venue itself was ticking over no more than that which I was a put surprised by (ala carte menu more limited than it used to be but normally busy enough). Dropped in a bar up the road for a drink before heading home and the same thing, very dead for a Friday night. Maybe it was just the 'burbs and town was hopping

Now to plan tonights dinner.....

I made a huge pot of beef stew last night so we will either have that or else a garlic chicken creamy pasta dish.

I'm leaning towards the pasta as I haven't had pasta got ages and would like some for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

Polish cuisine all the way:)

1184754_10203298219241080_1660304986_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

fibix wrote: »
    Polish cuisine all the way:)

It's pretty. But what is it?

Potato and cheese dumplings, just like momma used to make ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Potato and cheese dumplings, just like momma used to make ;)
    What's the Polish name, I know I had these before and I can't for the life of me remember! (I had polish housemates back home)

What's the Polish name, I know I had these before and I can't for the life of me remember! (I had polish housemates back home)

pierogi :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pierogi :)
    YES! :) Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken wings weekend, serving two kinds tonight - half of butchers spicy marinade, the other half is turmeric rub.

2014-02-15%2018.08.25_zps3qxn9mpl.jpg

*camera phone sucks

Also serving last night's Bolognese with conchiglie pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Chicken wings weekend, serving two kinds tonight - half of butchers spicy marinade, the other half is turmeric rub.

Those wings look fab. I have serious food envy!
    Tonight it was sirloin steak, with roasted veg: baby carrots, brussel sprouts, mushrooms and baby potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We made the most amazing salsa tonight.

Tomatoes
    Scallions
    Avocado
    Jalapeños
    Sweetcorn
    Black beans
    Lime juice
    Sea salt

So simple, such a flavour sensation.

We piled this in a tower of glory on top of a bed of warm corn tortilla chips with a little melted cheese, and topped with a blob of sour cream.

I was halfway through dismantling the tower before I remembered a photo.

jzfogi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Leftovers.

294191.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

YES! :) Yum!

Yum Yum but the good missus calls them Varenyky-Her being a red and all that. I adore these and especially when covered with mayo and ketchup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We ordered some food from Diep at Home last night and it took 2 full hours to arrive - and then it was cold! Rang them up to discuss it and they very kindly sent us free food tonight plus a full bottle of wine to apologise. I'm now very full of delicious massaman curry... and wine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Puy lentils with torn Lombo ham, garlic, green beans and grated carrot, seasoned with lemon juice and salt and pepper topped with a poached egg. (Aka whatever I could find in the fridge)

Currently having M&S hot chocolate and raspberry truffle bakes with Carte D'Or salted caramel ice cream.

And vino :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night I did roasted veg with herby chicken and baby potatoes.
    The veg was delicious.

I placed roughly chopped red and yellow peppers, red onions, carrots, unpeeled cloves of garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper all in a tray, covered in foil and baked for half an hour.

Flavour was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Salmon marinade in grated ginger,garlic, chilli, spring onions, soya sauce, lime juce and honey griddled with stir fried veg and noodles. Was lush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tuscan duck ragu with mafaldine pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Finished watching House of Cards season two yesterday, and with all the talk of ribs, I couldn't resist...

Went to the butcher and bought two full racks for just the two of us! Eyes were WAY bigger than my belly but at least today's dinner is sorted too!!!

Cooked low and slow, then smothered in sweet bbq sauce. Heaven...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finished watching House of Cards season two yesterday, and with all the talk of ribs, I couldn't resist...

Went to the butcher and bought two full racks for just the two of us! Eyes were WAY bigger than my belly but at least today's dinner is sorted too!!!

Cooked low and slow, then smothered in sweet bbq sauce. Heaven...

Were the pigs slow bled? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Salmon marinade in grated ginger,garlic, chilli, spring onions, soya sauce, lime juce and honey griddled with stir fried veg and noodles. Was lush.

Nom, Nom. That's on my to do list.

We settled on the creamy chicken pasta last night and after cooking the chicken we realised it had gone off, despite being frozen the day it was purchased.

So we ended up getting takeaway, I had chicken and mushrooms in a maderia sauce with basmati rice. Absolutely gorgeous.

My boyfriend had lamb shank in a Thai curry sauce which he couldn't eat. It was inedible.

Tonight however we are having striploin steaks, scallion mash, spinach cooked in milk and butter, and I will make a mushroom and whiskey sauce too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

dipdip wrote: »
    We piled this in a tower of glory on top of a bed of warm corn tortilla chips with a little melted cheese, and topped with a blob of sour cream.

Gosh that looks good. REAL good.

Do you make your own chips? I ask because I bought a bag of blue masa on a 'BLUE MASA!!! MUST BUY!!' whim when I saw it for non-extortionate prices in a shop a couple of months ago. Never done anything with it, I think tortilla chips might be the way to go but not sure how to go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had pan fried rainbow trout this evening (caught by Mr. Merkin while out fly fishing this afternoon!) with roasted new potatoes and a little salad. The fish was delicious, so wonderfully fresh and moist, nyummy if I do may say so myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Merkin wrote: »
    Had pan fried rainbow trout this evening (caught by Mr. Merkin while out fly fishing this afternoon!) with roasted new potatoes and a little salad. The fish was delicious, so wonderfully fresh and moist, nyummy if I do may say so myself.

I always enjoy looking at your gravity-defying food Merkin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement