Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Roasted lemony chicken with roasted parsnips, potatoes and charred onions.

Got a heap of turnips from the CSA so roasted them under the chicken and made soup for the week too! (hate turnips. chickeny turnips = transformative).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hairy Bikers cumin roasted peppers, courgettes, red onion and potatoes http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/cumin-crusted_vegetables_96980
    Didn't have Maris Pipers so just used some quartered baby potatoes instead. Absolutely gorgeous.
    And slow roasted beef, and boiled carrots with lots of parsley.
    Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

... nothing to see here...

Chicken with thyme roasted grapes and goat's' cheese, potatoes, and corn on the cob. Mmmm, thyme in everything!

photo_zpsbpkxlk8s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Spicy spag bol for us tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Chicken chasseur here with new potatoes and green beans. Baby Merkin licked his little chops. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Oven poached salmon, roasted butternut squash, mashed carrot and parsnip and brocoli. I had some brussel Sprouts to use so I par boiled them and stir fryed them with peppers, baby corn, onions and lots of garlic. Delish!

Merkin wrote: »
    Chicken chasseur here with new potatoes and green beans. Baby Merkin licked his little chops. :)
    Could you post the the recipe for this please? It sounds delicious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

kylith wrote: »
    Chicken with thyme roasted grapes and goat's' cheese, potatoes, and corn on the cob.

Roasted grapes, eh? Intereshhtingg. Tell me more!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Roasted grapes, eh? Intereshhtingg. Tell me more!

Well you get some grapes, right. Then you roast them :D

Toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme then roast them for about 10 minutes until they start to pop. I served them on flattened chicken breasts that had been topped with soft goat's cheese that had been mixed with some Greek yoghurt. Very tasty.

• Advertisement

Could you post the the recipe for this please? It sounds delicious. :)

You can think Mr. Coleman of Norwich :o I use a packet in cooking about once a month as I make everything from scratch so damn and blast me getting caught out :)

I added in lots of carrots and extra mushrooms (just cut them in half as they shrink when cooking) and then just followed this. Very easy dinner and there's lots left for tomorrow

http://www.colmans.co.uk/chicken-chasseur-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Oh Merkin I'd completely forgotten that stuff! My mum used to make it all the time, it's really tasty! I'm going to have to get some for January comfort food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Brown rice with grated courgette, carrot, diced turkey leg (last of the Christmas poultry!), soy sauce and sriracha. Nice but no December-hedonism-binge like I had become accustomed to.

Merkin wrote: »
    You can think Mr. Coleman of Norwich :o I use a packet in cooking about once a month as I make everything from scratch so damn and blast me getting caught out :)

I added in lots of carrots and extra mushrooms (just cut them in half as they shrink when cooking) and then just followed this. Very easy dinner and there's lots left for tomorrow

http://www.colmans.co.uk/chicken-chasseur-recipe
    Thanks so much Merkin :) Would Dunnes or Supervalu have that sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night I made what turned out to be a lovely pasta bake despite completely forgetting to season the passata. Plenty leftover as well. I also had a drop of passata left in the jar so I made spicy baked beans which will be reheated and eaten with a fried egg for lunch today. Can. Not. Wait.

Thanks so much Merkin :) Would Dunnes or Supervalu have that sauce?

Not sure about Dunnes but I'd imagine so. I got it in Tesco but Supervalu stocks it too afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seared tuna with chilli and lime dressing. Mango salsa. Wilted spinach. Pan fried oca

6GFPKHj.jpg

Courgette noodles with garlic and lemon prawns.

photo%201_zpszrzulm2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

how do you make the courgette noodles!? What a great way of cutting down on the carbs/pasta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Seared tuna with chilli and lime dressing. Mango salsa. Wilted spinach. Pan fried oca

I saw these in the English Market and thought that they were just small, very straight Jerusalem Artichokes. I tried them, but expecting something else I was disappointed, must try again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Tonight we had glazed mustard maple salmon, baked potato and broccoli. With tea and a slice of Christmas cake after. :)

how do you make the courgette noodles!? What a great way of cutting down on the carbs/pasta!

I and many others here have a doohickey called a Spiralizer which makes noodles out of anything. It's nice...but it's no pasta!

Cedrus wrote: »
    I saw these in the English Market and thought that they were just small, very straight Jerusalem Artichokes. I tried them, but expecting something else I was disappointed, must try again.

I like them. We grow them in the garden but only ever get enough for a couple of meals.
    Kinda like lemony potatoes.
    Supposed to be good raw too but I haven't tried that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Made a mushroom and roasted chestnut risotto tonight. I Rehydrated dried porcini mushrooms, and added that water to the stock. Meanwhile, I roasted some chestnuts and chopped them small. Used chestnut mushrooms fried in butter and added some freshly ground nutmeg. It was a lovely earthy dish! It needed a little something extra, but it was a great starting point. Id never prepared chestnuts before. They were trickier than I expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I and many others here have a doohickey called a Spiralizer which makes noodles out of anything. It's nice...but it's no pasta!

Been on the lookout for one of these for a while but haven't seen one anywhere. Where did you get yours? Is it the small handheld one you have or the big bulky one? Do you cook the courgettes after cutting?

L'prof wrote: »
    Been on the lookout for one of these for a while but haven't seen one anywhere. Where did you get yours? Is it the small handheld one you have or the big bulky one? Do you cook the courgettes after cutting?

I got mine on Amazon. I have a big bulky thing - it's a pain to store, but esy to use and clean.

I cook the courgettes after cutting - I toss them in a hot pan with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and then use them as a vehicle for bolognese sauce, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

L'prof wrote: »

I tried out the small handheld one yesterday and it worked perfectly. You can eat them raw or cooked but if cooking don't do any longer than 2mins or they turn mush.
    I had them for lunch, quickly heated up and threw in some goats cheese that melted so it turned into a cheesy sauce and added some sundried tomatoes. Pretty tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I got mine on Amazon. I have a big bulky thing - it's a pain to store, but esy to use and clean.

I cook the courgettes after cutting - I toss them in a hot pan with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and then use them as a vehicle for bolognese sauce, etc.
    I tried out the small handheld one yesterday and it worked perfectly. You can eat them raw or cooked but if cooking don't do any longer than 2mins or they turn mush.
    I had them for lunch, quickly heated up and threw in some goats cheese that melted so it turned into a cheesy sauce and added some sundried tomatoes. Pretty tasty.

Ordered one on eBay there. Worked out cheaper than Amazon who wouldn't deliver to Ireland anyway!

Faith wrote: »
    . It was a lovely earthy dish! It needed a little something extra, but it was a great starting point.
    I'd say some fresh thyme and maybe a small squeeze of lemon juice.

• Advertisement

I got mine in Stock off Stephen's Green. It was about €15 and is a handheld one with a small and a large hole. The only issue I have with it is that there's a bit of wastage when you can't grip the courgette to twist it any more.

I find it fantastic for cutting carrots and courgettes for salads too.

It ain't pasta, but for being about 200 calories less for the same size portion I'll forgive it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement