Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

You can buy courgettes and carrots pre-spiralised in Tesco now if anyone wants to try them first before buying the equipment

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

L'prof wrote: »
    Ordered one on eBay there. Worked out cheaper than Amazon who wouldn't deliver to Ireland anyway!

Parcel Motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You can buy courgettes and carrots pre-spiralised in Tesco now if anyone wants to try them first before buying the equipment

Dunnes too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

beertons wrote: »
    Parcel Motel?

Too much hassle after I found it on eBay and more expensive too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

This is the one i have. Got it from Aliexpress. Took 3 weeks so deliver but for under €5 and free shipping you can wait it out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was in Aldi and they finally had the duck fillets in so tonight will be duck, creamy scallion mash and garlic mushrooms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd say some fresh thyme and maybe a small squeeze of lemon juice.

Yeah, I was thinking thyme alright, but I didn't have any fresh stuff to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tilly wrote: »
    This is the one i have. Got it from Aliexpress. Took 3 weeks so deliver but for under €5 and free shipping you can wait it out :)

Wow, was I ripped off! And it's got a holdery thing so you can get right to the end!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Soft tacos with spicy minced beef, lettuce, chunky guacamole, tomato salsa, jalapenos, natural yoghurt and mature cheddar. Noice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beef stroganoff with potato

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Carton House seafood chowder, which very nearly ended up in the Cooking Disaster thread due to what had to be a mistake in the ratio of flour to cream in the recipe. Managed to rescue it with the addition of copious amounts of extra water, milk and cream, and it turned out lovely in the end. But it would have been utterly inedible if I'd tried to eat it as made according to the recipe.

12510510_10154446016302678_6731758920472603101_n.jpg?oh=813e60b69971b324890b44fd622b9b1c&oe=574462C3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Got a Kitchen Craft spiralizer and I entertained myself yesterday evening by spiralizing everything in sight! The joys! Made a delish Thai beef stir fry which took all of two minutes with lovely courgette ribbons and pretty carrot swirls, just added onion, garlic, fresh ginger, chillis, mushrooms, about half a bottle of soy sauce and nam pla, lime juice and the obligatory fresh coriander at the end. The courgettes were meant to replace carbs but still had to have a bit of brown rice with it :o Going to make courgetti this evening. Yay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Was planning bangers and mash with onion gravy, before realising we had no potatoes. Duh.

Had a fry instead, with our stash of Irish sausages and pudding that we got on our trip home over the Christmas break: sausage, smoked rasher, black and white pudding, mushrooms, hash browns, egg, toast, tea.

We took down the tree and decorations :( but drank mulled wine and watched Elf while we did it :)

You know you read Take A Break articles about people who fall in love with inanimate objects like The Eiffel Tower? I can't remember the name of the condition but I think I might be getting hot under the collar for my spiralizer. Tonight in chez Merkin I decided not to do courgetti but rather beautiful, twirly courribons which I enjoyed far too much. It also means I don't have to watch portion control which is never an easy task either. So I did them with garlic and cherry tomatoes (photo one demonstrating the sheer aesthetic beauty of said ribbons) and then stirred in some beautiful wild smoked trout. It was scrumptious and I am satisfied and don't gave the usual groany feeling of eating my own bodyweight in pasta. Yay. Win win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^ That is indeed a beautiful looking dish. Mr. Pig looks like he wants to dive in :)

^ That is indeed a beautiful looking dish. Mr. Pig looks like he wants to dive in :)

:D Greedy little piggy that he is, have to keep an eye on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Roast chicken breast topped with passata, mozarella, oregano, garlic salt with roast potato's and side salad dressed with balsamic. All smothered in the chickeny tomato sauce. Delish!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But it would have been utterly inedible if I'd tried to eat it as made according to the recipe.

Very pasty?

We had salmon teriyaki noodles with loads of very thinly sliced green pepper and carrot. Trying to reduce the time I spend cooking right down, dinner was getting to be a 1.5 hour production most evenings

Very pasty?

Fishy gloop.

The recipe called for twice as much flour as cream, which I bloody well knew as I was reading it was wrong, even with the litre of stock, but as I'd never made it before, I ignored my misgivings and followed the recipe as written.

I'd say I added the guts of another litre of liquid in the form of water, cream and milk in order to rescue it. But, that did have the happy side effect of turning four servings into seven, so we had it for dinner again last night (it's VERY filling) and froze the rest in individual portions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Merkin wrote: »
    :D Greedy little piggy that he is, have to keep an eye on him!

Did you cook the courgette ribbons in that dish? If so, how did you cook them?

• Advertisement

Smidge wrote: »
    Did you cook the courgette ribbons in that dish? If so, how did you cook them?

Yes Smidge, although when I say cook it was more a brief introduction to the pan. I sautéed some finely chopped garlic in a little olive oil, threw in the cherry tomatoes to soften them, added a little lemon juice and black pepper and then added the courgette ribbons until they softened which took maybe 2-3 minutes. I added the smoked trout in raw because it was just so good but I think any fish could be added in after the garlic as it takes no time to cook. A very handy supper I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Was planning bangers and mash with onion gravy, before realising we had no potatoes. Duh.

Had a fry instead, with our stash of Irish sausages and pudding that we got on our trip home over the Christmas break: sausage, smoked rasher, black and white pudding, mushrooms, hash browns, egg, toast, tea.

We took down the tree and decorations :( but drank mulled wine and watched Elf while we did it :)

So, it was a 'sausage-fest' all round last night! :pac:

We had a load of cocktail sausages in the freezer that we never got to have over Christmas. Mrs B served them up with sautéed potatoes & a huge pot of beans. Magic meal!

So, it was a 'sausage-fest' all round last night! :pac:

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lamb madras made with a full lamb neck and shoulder chunks. Cooked it for about 20 hours (Solid fuel cooker, lob everything into the pot with frozen stock and forget about it until the following day) and stuck in peppers, onion and mushrooms about an hour before serving.

My portion also had sprouts.....cue baffled faces from the parents but they can feck off with their sprout hating tastebuds.
    Madras sprouts makes for interesting tummy gurgles though. *parp*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Beer has been poorly the last few days so yesterday I picked up a bag of chicken carcasses and made a stock.

For dinner we had Chinese chicken noodle soup.
    Soba noodles, chicken, Chinese sausage, garlic, ginger, chilli, shiitake mushroom, spring onion, leek, celery, Chinese leaves, coriander.

Had enough stock for more soup noodles for lunch today and we're having jook (congee) for tonight's dinner.

HxNj5sa.jpg

We had a load of cocktail sausages in the freezer that we never got to have over Christmas. Mrs B served them up with sautéed potatoes & a huge pot of beans. Magic meal!

Switch the sautéed spuds for mash and that's one of my favourite comfort dinners EVER. Needless to say it's obligatory to cut up the sausages and mix everything up into a giant volcano on the plate.

I am totally having this for dinner tomorrow.

Merkin wrote: »
    Yes Smidge, although when I say cook it was more a brief introduction to the pan. I sautéed some finely chopped garlic in a little olive oil, threw in the cherry tomatoes to soften them, added a little lemon juice and black pepper and then added the courgette ribbons until they softened which took maybe 2-3 minutes. I added the smoked trout in raw because it was just so good but I think any fish could be added in after the garlic as it takes no time to cook. A very handy supper I can tell you!

Brilliant Merkin thanks :)
    I think you should get commission now from the spiralizer crowd. I've just ordered Kyliths one on her link :)

Smidge wrote: »
    Brilliant Merkin thanks :)
    I think you should get commission now from the spiralizer crowd. I've just ordered Kyliths one on her link :)

You're more than welcome. :) I might email Kitchen Craft and show them this thread (although I'm not sure they'd take someone called Merkin seriously!) You'll love it when it arrives, let us know how you get on. :)

I had a builders supper of grilled bacon and tomato, poached egg and McCambridges. Yum.

I'm making kebabs shortly for the menfolk. Indian one with lamb for one and a southern bbq pork one for the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Stunning soup TBR

Working until 11pm last night and had steaks marinading ready to go too. However, Mrs. Loire came to the rescue with a "Jackie Delux" and chips from the renowned Cork chipper, Jackie Lennox!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement