Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Am not a fan at all of food from packets (with the exception of crisps and chocolate!) but every now and again I try something for convenience. Last night I boiled up some pre-packaged mushroom and ricotta ravioli (with a scarily long shelf life) and ate it with a home made tomato, garlic and cream sauce.

Well, the sauce was good but the pasta was bleh. So, nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Loire wrote: »
    Stunning soup TBR

Working until 11pm last night and had steaks marinading ready to go too. However, Mrs. Loire came to the rescue with a "Jackie Delux" and chips from the renowned Cork chipper, Jackie Lennox!

Oh my god I miss Lennox's ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A pilaf type thing. Rice with chunks of chicken thigh, pepper, onion, tomato and chili baked in stock. Squeeze of lime & a wee sprinkle of feta after. Looks a little bland and, dare I say it, slimy. But it was really good!

N5B3mEi.jpg?1v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Where do people get the spiralizer things? I really like the look of the courgetti! Are they expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I ordered one yesterday off Pigsback for €15! It looks to be a handy little knick-knack/do-dah/yokeymabob to have in the kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Got the aldi chicken legs on offer this week. Marinated them in garlic and lemon and roasted them- they were hideous. So tough they were almost inedible. What a disappointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

New Year's Resolution Cooking Challenge continued tonight with slow cooked lamb rogan josh and from-scratch pilau rice (and a shop-bought naan ;) ). It was our first time doing a curry-type thing from scratch and I absolutely loved it. Saturday night might have to become curry night from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm dying with a cold so dinner was simple and easy tonight.

Pan fried duck breast, finished in the oven, with some baked mushrooms.

So so good, wish I could taste it fully mind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Kovu wrote: »
    I ordered one yesterday off Pigsback for €15! It looks to be a handy little knick-knack/do-dah/yokeymabob to have in the kitchen.

I followed Tillys link and got mine for a fiver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Smidge wrote: »
    I followed Tillys link and got mine for a fiver :)

That my fave website. From runners to spirilizers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had a Thai take away last night. Shared chicken wings to start which had lots of tamarind and lime and were really good. Mr. Merkin had duck pad prik which was excellent. I had a beef Penang curry and it was just wayyyy too hot. I really like heat and would always go for hotter curries but my face actually went numb from this one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lasagna :)

2drym51.jpg

Snap, DB :)

4D5Trin.jpg

(Wee notice for anyone who doesn't drop in - Cooking Club is back for 2016 and it's Lasagne Week!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

What's tillys link?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today will be roast chicken, carrots, broccoli, scallion mash and gravy. Yum.

Can't wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What's tillys link?!

It's in this post, a page or two back http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98316261&postcount=8226

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Fried rice. Nom.

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm on steroids at the moment for illness and according to the side effects, they can increase your appetite.

Well, it's certainly the case with me...I know most of you will look at this meal and think "No bother, that's not a lot", but for me, I would never be able to finish it all.

I demolished every single bit; I was like a scavenger at the dinner table.
    Ignore my festive place-mats; I forgot to pack them away

nmg5mf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm on steroids at the moment for illness and according to the side effects, they can increase your appetite.

I was never more disappointed than when they didn't have that effect on me:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

fussyonion wrote: »

Well, it's certainly the case with me...I know most of you will look at this meal and think "No bother, that's not a lot", but for me, I would never be able to finish it all.

I demolished every single bit; I was like a scavenger at the dinner table.
    Ignore my festive place-mats; I forgot to pack them away

We had almost the same dinner! We had chicken and a wee piece of bacon.
    Mash, croquettes, garlic potato gratin, yorkies, stuffing, carrots, turnip, sprouts, green beans.
    Stuffed to the gills :D

• Advertisement

Hope you're feeling better soon fussyonion :)

Tonight we had slow cooked fillet of ham - finished off in the oven with honey, mustard and breadcrumbs.

k4h1dy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hope you're feeling better soon fussyonion :)

Tonight we had slow cooked fillet of ham - finished off in the oven with honey, mustard and breadcrumbs.

Thanks Dizzy.
    That ham looks absolutely gorgeous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Last night we had ham slow cooked in coke, then glazed with plum jam and mustard and baked. We ate it with home made bread, coleslaw and tomato and rocket salad. Few glasses of vino and Dime cake for dessert.

Tonight we had a spag bol packed with veg and red wine, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Good food weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sausage cassoulet.

photo_zpskymebzry.jpg

Salt & chili wedges & chicken fillets marinated in sriracha. Easy and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

we're having jook (congee) for tonight's dinner.

]

Jook was had. Thai brown and white rice, stock, ginger, spring onions, fried garlic, coriander, pickled chillies.

9cn7ryX.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

the beer revolu - Your food and pictures of food are absolutely stunning. Like something out of an M&S booklet. I love your posts.

Can you post your recipe for the jook?

Thanks for the compliments:o

To make jook, you just boil up cooked rice in lots of stock until it breaks down to a kind of porridge consistency. I add sliced ginger when cooking it and some chopped spring onion whites a few minutes before serving and check seasoning and add salt and/or soy sauce. I just add the greens to serve.

Last night was a glazed loin of bacon, champ, parsley sauce and fried sweetheart cabbage.

2vb7M8L.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Last night was a glazed loin of bacon, champ, parsley sauce and fried sweetheart cabbage.

Yay someone who actually likes parsley sauce! I get teased something shocking for liking it. Your dinner looks amazing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement