Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have to say, I find low-fat cheese the biggest false economy ever. It doesn't melt right and is never cheesy enough. If I was counting calories I'd much rather use the equivalent calorie amount of parmesan. You get a much bigger cheesy bang for your buck, as it were.

I actually have a bit of an issue with the whole "low fat" thing in general but that's a discussion for a different thread!

Each to their own i suppose, i hadn't intended to melt the cheese so it was perfect for me.
    It gave it a small bit of cheesiness which is all I wanted. They are low fat slices from lidl which i happen to like a lot, not necessarily for the low fatness.
    Same goes for the yoghurt, i tried it and didn't notice the difference between that and sour cream so i did save some calories in that respect.
    I had parmersan in the fridge but chose not to use it, it turned out delicious as it happens, lot fat or not :D Oh and I also drained the meat of fat which made it even more low fat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have to say, I find low-fat cheese the biggest false economy ever. It doesn't melt right and is never cheesy enough. If I was counting calories I'd much rather use the equivalent calorie amount of parmesan. You get a much bigger cheesy bang for your buck, as it were.

I actually have a bit of an issue with the whole "low fat" thing in general but that's a discussion for a different thread!

Exactly! In the Nutrition & Diet forum. As you know, we don't criticise people's food choices here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Pizza and goujons in front of the Arsenal match last night. Tonight, we're making beef stroganoff for the first time, hope it turns out well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Over Christmas I had the most delicious tomato, chorizo, white bean and veg stew in a cafe. I finally got around to attempting to make it myself and it turned out really well. I didn't make it as spicy and the smokiness of the chorizo was just right. Lovely for a cold winters evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Dinner tonight is a slow cooker mushroom and chicken stew. The sauce is tomatoey, peppery and oniony and I threw in some balsamic vinegar at the end to liven it up a bit. Had a quick taste there and it's yummy but I think I need something to serve with it as the sauce is quite thin. Any ideas? Have rice and the shop is just over the road so can pick anything up.

Edit : too late! Had it with half a crusty bap and some hummus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night we made beef stroganoff for the first time, using a Neven Maguire recipe I found on the Avonmore website.

Absolutely delicious. Really, properly tasty. We were two smug pups after dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Last night we made beef stroganoff for the first time, using a Neven Maguire recipe I found on the Avonmore website.

Absolutely delicious. Really, properly tasty. We were two smug pups after dinner.

I'm doing one of Nevin's cookery course at McNean House in March. I've completely lost my cooking mojo in the last year and I'm hoping this will reignite it. I can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ribeye steak, fried polenta, grilled tomatoes with garlic and thyme, fried courgettes with thyme and lemon.

0dgNxkG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Then last night's grilled chicken thighs with soy, ginger and garlic. Pan fried ocas. Sweet potato and Jerusalem artichoke Asian slaw. Wilted spinach.

NC5UuXX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I finally got around to making the bangers, mash & beans someone on here put me in the humour of last week.

I'm far too ashamed to show you the photo of it before I *actually* started eating, when I sliced up the sausages and mixed everything into one big pile like the child that I am :o

12507264_10154465665632678_6127216649640192108_n.jpg?oh=2a80d5e2aa53817a856a49ca72451ee6&oe=5739B7D5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Sweetheart cabbage, slow braised red wine lentils done with smokey bacon and confit of duck. We made pigs of ourselves and it was just so warming and yum when so cold outside. Lots more of the lentils left for freezing too so a very handy dinner to have again.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Black bean and quinoa burritos. They were supposed to be served with avocados but the ones someone bought were rock hard, so had them with scrambled egg and jalapeños.

375102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Black bean and quinoa burritos. They were supposed to be served with avocados but the ones someone bought were rock hard, so had them with scrambled egg and jalapeños.]

How did you do the beans and quinoa please. They look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Whispered wrote: »
    How did you do the beans and quinoa please. They look great.

Here's the recipe: http://cookieandkate.com/2015/quinoa-black-bean-tacos-recipe/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Long week.

Home made pizza tonight, with about 17 gin and tonics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Long week.

Home made pizza tonight, with about 17 gin and tonics

I nearly licked the screen looking at that. Going to have pizza and prosecco tonight. Did you buy the base or make it? And what exactly did you put on the pizza? Obviously pepperoni which I love but what else? (That's if you can actually remember making it after the joys of imbibing eleventy gin and tonics! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have a slow cooker lamb leg fillet tikka masala on the go for this eve,serving with pilau rice,curry spiced roast cauliflower,and adding cooked chicken fillets for the last 30 mins ,cant wait

Merkin wrote: »
    I nearly licked the screen looking at that. Going to have pizza and prosecco tonight. Did you buy the base or make it? And what exactly did you put on the pizza? Obviously pepperoni which I love but what else? (That's if you can actually remember making it after the joys of imbibing eleventy gin and tonics! :D)

:)

It was a fridge clear-out dinner.

The base was home made - flour, yeast, olive oil, salt, water. Mix. Knead. Cover in warm place to prove. Roll out. Prove again. Top.

Sauce was magicked out of half a can of leftover tomatoes, a tube of tomato puree and one fresh tomato, cooked in a little saucepan with garlic, dried green herbs, olive oil, splash of balsamic, sugar, water, salt and pepper.

Toppings were fresh mozzarella, bit of mature cheddar, bit of parmesan, thinly sliced onion and green pepper (ah the poor green pepper never gets a look in), bit of chorizo, bit of Aldi German black forest ham. Black pepper and whacked in the oven for 15 mins.

Sorry I'm late replying, I've been sleeping off the ha...pizza.

Our friends fed us tonight.

Delicious beef and vegetable stew with mashed potatoes and little warm home made rolls... followed by a fruit plate of mango and grapes... followed by a ton of sugary, salty snacks and prosecco while we watched a movie. It was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was mash, garlicky creamy spinach, onions & mushrooms in a cream sauce and fillet steak cooked rare.

Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was Ma Po tofu, Chongqing chicken wings and vegetable fried rice. All recipes from my newest favourite cookbook - The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken Yakisoba, it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

have a slow cooker lamb leg fillet tikka masala on the go for this eve,serving with pilau rice,curry spiced roast cauliflower,and adding cooked chicken fillets for the last 30 mins ,cant wait

roasted the sweet potato and cauliflower in coconut oil and curry powder

was delish

e1dtv5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Right, been inactive for a while, but tonight, Matthew, I had pumpkin soup.
    Pumpkin soup?, I hear you ask.
    What's so special about pumpkin soup?
    Not much, unless it's served with a side order of AYERS ROCK! (partially shielded by shrub, but still, wtf!)
    WP_20160117_19_51_56_Pro_zps24pzt3xn.jpg

I also had barramundi fish, and kangaroo. For the day that's in it. What the hell...yolo 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Last night I made Donal Skehan's beetroot burgers, and had enough to freeze four for another night. We ate them in buns with crispy lettuce, mayo and jalapeno tomato relish. Here's the frozen guys ready to be bagged and shelved.

RJ7Rxck.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had Nigel Slater's pork and quince burgers, with pickles, mustard and lettuce in buns. Man alive, the burgers were so so good. Sticky, sweet and charred. I could eat another one right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Beef with Oyster sauce and noodles, last night and chorizo with mexican rice for dinner tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pork fillet marinated in honey, orange juice, soya sauce and fresh ginger. Seared on the pan and finished in the oven. Served with mashed sweet potato and red cabbage

Roast beef, roast carrots and roast potatoes and gravy.

For tomorrow I've wrapped up some whole sweet potatoes in tinfoil and put them in the slow cooker, which I'll switch on, on low, tomorrow morning, to be eaten tomorrow night with fish and veg. I'm curious to see how they'll turn out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pork steak, seared in the pan and finished in the oven. With mash, cabbage and potato slices cooked in the Airfryer.

2zdvblv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement