Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A chicken, artichoke, and spinach pasta bake. I tried swopping the cheese sauce for a puréed cauliflower sauce but, much as I love cauli, the Pinterest claims that 'you can hardly tell the difference' are filthy lies made by filthy liars. So in the end it was half cauliflower sauce, half cheese sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jamie Oliver's green chilli, which is one of my all-time faves.

Tonight will probably be, like, crisps or something as I've a 3,000 word assignment due at 11pm that I haven't even started writing yet. Hold me.

1937215_10154472327677678_7285310144147382086_n.jpg?oh=19ff63c2f585f55eae821e3c767ff008&oe=57400B54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Pan fried salmon x2
    Steamed spinach
    Brown rice

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Chicken stir-fry loaded with veggies. I was supposed to save some for tomorrow, but the glutton in me ruined that plan. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Jamie Oliver's Humble Chicken Stew using the half roast chicken left over from Sunday. It was so tasty and comforting. Polished it off for lunch today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I had tonnes of chicken bones in the freezer; wing tips, backbones. Time to boil me some stock! With some spices and aromatics, into the slow cooker they go for 12 hours (and counting). Took some out and strained - made Pho with it by flavouring with fish sauce, flat noodles, herbs and leftover chicken from roast the other night. Finished with a squeeze of lime, and extra birds eye chillies in my bowl. The kids are down with flu, so this was perfect for them. Clean bowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

On Wednesday night we absolutely lovely Aldi Angus burgers with brioche buns and a bunch of the usual additions. We had them with sweet potato fries and fried mushies. Happy happy heads all around.

Last night I had the veggie burger and several g&ts in Oscars in Smithfield. Lovely, exactly what I wanted.

Planning a massive slow-cooked chilli con carne on Sunday. Happy weekend everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm under the weather at the minute so it was chicken soup with plenty of veggies, soba noodles, and more garlic, ginger, and 5 spice than the human body can stand. Could still hardly taste a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thursday was smoked streaky bacon, fried eggs, scallion mash.

Yesterday was scallion mash and rib steak without the bone.

Today was roast chicken breast, buttered spinach, carrots, scallion mash and gravy.

God I missed my scallion mash when I wasn't eating!!! Delicious it is <3:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was a searingly hot Thai yellow mackerel curry with pineapple on jasmine rice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Boiled a ham yesterday, for the weeks lunches. Kept the water, divided it into 2 pots. In one I have chopped carrots, the other I have half a bag of curly kale. That will be added to a creamy mash later. Marrowfat peas too. And I'm making a thick gravy, with onions and mushrooms sauted with a tablespoon of flour. Side of beef in the oven, cooked for 2.5 hours. And stuffing, that the butcher threw in as I said I never did a roast beef before. Enough for 2 days, I'll be as full as a bull.

kylith wrote: »
    I'm under the weather at the minute so it was chicken soup with plenty of veggies, soba noodles, and more garlic, ginger, and 5 spice than the human body can stand. Could still hardly taste a thing :(

i hear you , sister. We've been on chicken broth with extra ginger, garlic, spring onion and fresh turmeric for the last few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

My big pot of chilli con carne turned out absolutely brilliantly. Paired with Hoegaarden and the Arsenal match. Happy Sunday folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chilli here as well, made with turkey mince. We also listened to the arsenal game, no beer though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Last night we had stuffed mushrooms and chips. The mushroom filling was spinach, feta, red onion, bacon and breadcrumbs and it tasted amazing.

e1WhoTs.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Last week I incorporated asparagus into my cooking.

Steamed and roasted them.

Made a quiche a d soup with it too.

It was ok.

Tonight I've started healthy eating....again.

Marinated cod fillets with garlic brussel sprouts, wilted spinach, carrots and asparagus.

Have to say it was awful....I'm really not a fish person. I really didn't enjoy it.

The veg was lovely but that was it.

I did make some turkey chilli that will do me for a few days too

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Piri Piri Chicken and garlic and chorizo, potato gratin, was good but only got a little as everyone was over on the bright side the Birthday cake hit the spot (my granny's birthday mines next week)

We went to Fallon & Byrne for a late lunch/early dinner yesterday and it really wasn't up to the usual standard. We shared a pate and onion relish which was good. Pate a bit on the strong side but sweetness of the relish cut through it nicely. Mr. Merkin had duck and orange with Savoy cabbage which was ok. I (and I don't know what on earth possessed me) had beef cheek with roasted carrots and horseradish mash. I simply don't like cheap cuts of meat and I'm not into the whole 'but it's melt in the mouth'......so would an old shoe if it's been cooked long enough! It was glutinous and yuk and I ate very little of it. Lemon tart to finish, the pastry was rock hard. I'd a few glasses of prosecco, Mr. Merkin had a decent Tempranillo. The service was really poor. Very disappointing as we go there quite a bit and enjoy it but not this time.

Rib eye cooked rare-medium, scallion mash, baked garlic mushrooms and buttery, garlicky spinach here tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Haggis, tatties and neeps, with a wee dram on the side of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Fillet steak with bearnaise sauce and steamed veggies on the side. Just what the doctor ordered

Tonight was a second attempt at my entry for this week's cooking club challenge. Last night's sticky chicken was yum but so, so greasy, I had to render the fat a lot more today and omitted any additional fat.
    Served with cucumber slices and frank's to dip.

Tonight we had a Chinese, first time in months.

Chicken with mushrooms in black bean sauce, egg fried rice, skewered chicken satay and chow mein noodles.

Was delicious, will be a while before we have another so it was nice for a treat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Last night I knocked up a delicious curry, threw some random spices into the grinder: cinnamon, cardamon pods, peppercorns, garam masala, cumin, coriander seeds and ground ginger. Cooked the spices with onions, garlic, fresh ginger, chilli and coriander. Added tinned tomatoes, passata, peppers and chicken. Cooked on a slow heat for 6 hours. Had a lovely flavour and a great background spice. Even the toddlers loved it

Green saffron chicken tikka over the last couple of nights. Added a bag of spinach each night and had with cauliflower instead of rice. Really yummy. I absolutely love Green Saffron, the spices are so fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Chicken tikka masala from Jamie's Dinners. It was excellent. I used thigh instead of breast meat, though, just cause I prefer it.

12573031_10154494440617678_1543970383721918909_n.jpg?oh=b75f2f936f9afa0b8af1c398afa7ea36&oe=573E0BC8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jamie Oliver's Sausage Cassoulet.

E2734582-2B0A-4798-9A98-0648555065A5_zpsy0w9tfo5.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

That looks beautiful Gloom.

We've had a lot of nice grub lately but I've lost the will to live trying to post pictures while site's been dodgy.

Tonight I marinated chicken drumsticks and thighs in chilli, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, Frank's and olive oil, and roasted them along with some home made garlic and herb potato wedges. Ten minutes before serving I brushed the chicken with lots of BBQ sauce and returned to the oven to blacken.

I made a rocket, tomato and avocado salad, then made a tangy ranch dressing from mayo, garlic, yogurt, white wine vinegar, mixed dried green herbs, salt, pepper and rapeseed oil.

Served the whole lot with more BBQ sauce on the side and extra ranch for the wedges. Flippin fantastic it was.

• Advertisement

Lasagne for us, simple but delicious and comforting for the cold, wet weather :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement