Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh sh1tballs, have I done it again?! Sorry, when I'm about to eat its like a feeding frenzy at the zoo and I don't concentrate on my picture taking at all!:o

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Pan fried seabass on a bed of fried rocket, roasted baby potatoes and carrots and fried black pudding with shallot and basil

4XDHgT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is not a photogenic meal but may I introduce you to the best sandwich I have ever had? Made meatballs topped with shredded mozzarella and cheddar in passata with a bit of sugar, loads of salt & pepper. Served in warm, soft brown rolls with the sauce from the meatballs, strong cheddar and mayo. [SWEAR WORD] this was good. The combination of cheese that tastes cheesey when cooked with mozzarella so it was both cheesey and stretchy and the tomato sauce was beyond tasty.

Messy as meatballs shot out of a cannon at my jumper but I am sold. Meatball sandwiches forever more.

Meatballs siempre.

456d66e0-7713-4237-ae85-3c3edcb6243a_zps571fe82a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

We had beef stroganoff from the hairy bikers diet book "hairy dieters eat for life". Was nicer than my last attempt at stroganoff!! Didn't get a chance to take a picture as it was devoured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Gosh that looks good. REAL good.

Do you make your own chips? I ask because I bought a bag of blue masa on a 'BLUE MASA!!! MUST BUY!!' whim when I saw it for non-extortionate prices in a shop a couple of months ago. Never done anything with it, I think tortilla chips might be the way to go but not sure how to go about it

It was crazy delicious. I do not make my own chips. I would like to make my own as I cannot find unsalted chips anywhere and they are especially delicious. If I did try making them, I would probably make corn tortillas, then cut them into chips, brush them with oil and bake them. I'm sure they'd taste better deep fried but I can't be doing with all the faff of deep frying these days!

I do buy blue tortilla chips online when I can get them. You can buy them on Amazon when they're not out of stock and they are intensely tasty.

Tonight for dinner we had more unexpected guests so I cobbled a meal together from what we had.

Our starter was butternut squash and carrot soup with some soda bread, all home-made.

The main course was a Southwestern potato salad with stuffed portobello mushrooms. The potato salad consisted of cubed, roasted, spiced sweet potatoes, tossed with roasted corn and cooked, canned black beans. The dressing was made from olive oil, lime juice, finely chopped red onion, cider vinegar, fresh garlic and tabasco. Then I crumbled a block of feta on top and scattered over some coriander. The mushrooms were seasoned and stuffed with goats cheese, and then topped with a crumb made from bread, lemon zest and parmesan. I drizzled them with olive oil and baked them, and then served with a drizzle of a balsamic reduction.

So a real mish mash but somehow it all worked together.

The guests brought sugar cookies with a chocolate dipping sauce so we were a well fed crew. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This afternoon I had possibly-undercooked-roast-chicken in mozzarella with potato wedges, courtesy of an unfamiliar cooker.

Pic below is chilli seabass from last week. Surprisingly nice considering I never eat fish.

294384.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Valentines menu turned out to be a mixed bag, starter and main were good, dessert...... not so good :o

Starter was simply mussels in garlic butter with some nice fresh crunchy bread on the side.

Main was fillet steak on a bed of saffron and spinach risotto, topped with sweet potato crisps.

IMAG0045_zpskf6hvonf.jpg

IMAG0046_1_zpshnksrdqo.jpg

The plan for dessert was individual cheesecakes, what came out of the oven was overcooked vanilla and passion fruit flavored scrambled eggs on burnt chocolate and orange biscuits, cant win them all I suppose :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight however we are having striploin steaks, scallion mash, spinach cooked in milk and butter, and I will make a mushroom and whiskey sauce too.
    I ended up using cream in the whiskey and mushroom sauce, scallion mash and also in the spinach as it had to be used up.

Not a great photo, but the food was fantastic.

bfrsz5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Made it to the butcher early on Saturday morning to pick up some pork shoulder. Came home and made a spice rub (paprika, cayenne pepper, desert salt, black pepper, cumin, thyme, mustard powder, brown sugar, coffee) and prepped the pork leaving it in the fridge for 3 hours.

Slow roasted in the oven for approx 6 hours turning and basting once in between.

Served with a mac n cheese (gruyere & pecarino romano & smoked garlic) and homemade pull apart buns (whilst they were tasty, they weren't light enough- new recipe needed) and also an apple and beetroot slaw.

18FCBBFE-5D84-4A7F-874A-A9738BFFEBC9_zps0obbg3q2.jpg

0D67C287-6EE5-43C3-9FAD-273E43F75F62_zpsjv68sjpj.jpg

38A07585-50C2-4145-AD38-41F6AFF6599D_zpsrmmhzavh.jpg

We had leftovers for the remainder of the weekend including pulled pork, chili ketchup and poached eggs on sourdough for a tasty Sunday brunch.

Tonight I am having a 'Health & Happiness' tray with extra wasabi mayo from Kokoro sushi while watching the Lego movie (it doesn't have a fishy/any aroma, which I'm sure my fellow movie goers are pleased with). It's my occasional Monday night treat, sushi & a movie.

Because I don't want anyone calling me a sushi wanker I tend to sit towards the back of the cinema and, man, there are some quare groaning noises coming from 2 rows over. It's a kids movie you dirtbirds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Howdy, my first post here! There are tonnes of recipes in this thread that I want to try :D

Last night's dinner was my Dad's scrumptious steak Diane and my Mum's sauteed potatoes. Serious cooking duo!

The sauce is chopped onion, tomato and mushrooms with brandy, cream, French mustard and beef stock. It's lovely with pork steak too. It doesn't look great on the plate but tastes divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Madhur Jaffrey's Lamb Bhuna, with buttered cumin rice. It was a bit too spicy for others so I added some coconut milk to tone it down. Yum I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Medium-rare fillet steak and onions. Melt in the mouth.

The last bit of the pulled pork leftovers were used in last night's dinner (and today's lunch).

I was going to do a pulled pork Ramen but knowing I'd be bringing a portion to work I didn't want it too runny so it turned out to be a pulled pork noodle curry of sorts!

onion, smoked garlic, chesnut mushrooms, leeks, red pepper, coconut milk, fish sauce, soy sauce, S&P, cumin, egg noodles.

73D6F605-E59F-4608-A9BE-5159F57D086A_zpsnfpjrka3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lightly floured and pan fried hake fillets with a squeeze of lemon; potato, Jerusalem artichoke and garlic mash; Leeks sautéed in smoked bacon fat; wilted spinach.
    Not a very colourful dinner but a very tasty one.:)
    5jRWtv.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had a sea bass fillet, dusted with flour and pan fried - with mash, chantenay carrots and peas. I'm trying to like fish without batter or breadcrumbs :o

Last night we had grilled Spanish bacon, scallion scrambled eggs, garlic mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and toasted tiger bread.

We wanted something a bit different (again) from our usual dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Had a beautiful medium rare rib eye steak with wild rice, friends were over to visit so loooooots of eating out this weekend :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

tmc86 wrote: »
    Made it to the butcher early on Saturday morning to pick up some pork shoulder. Came home and made a spice rub (paprika, cayenne pepper, desert salt, black pepper, cumin, thyme, mustard powder, brown sugar, coffee) and ...

I'm not trying to be smart, and if it's a typo please forgive me. What's "desert salt"? I've not come across the phrase or the product. How does it differ from other salts?

nompere wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart, and if it's a typo please forgive me. What's "desert salt"? I've not come across the phrase or the product. How does it differ from other salts?

Its a natural unprocessed salt which has just been sun dried and has no other preservatives etc. It's from the Kalahari Desert in South Africa and would be similar to other natural salts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rabadon

Had a really nice spaghetti bolognese with bacon mixed through it. I recommend trying the bacon with it, it is very nice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bought some real live oxtail at the weekend. It's been slow cooking for five hours and will serve with some very creamy mash potatoes.

076D7C6E-BF8B-4B43-9D22-E66E14B54FC5_zpshfhnb9t0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

omg I wanna dive into that vat of stew forever.

Just had the longest day of all the longest days. Ordered a pizza. Eagerly awaiting its arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight I had plain old spag bol from a jar. Not very inventive but I threw in lots of red pepper and mushrooms, and laced the sauce with chilli powder and black and green peppercorns. Spicy bolognese is the business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

That Oxtail stew looks magnificent Gloomtastic! A big lump of crusty white bread and I'd have it all eaten!

I had a 'dinner a la fridge' tonight, liver with bacon and onions and I had a bit of mustard cream sauce that I made for some steak at the weekend, I bunged it in and I have to say it was very good. you have to like liver of course. Served with a humungous mound of Brussels sprouts - yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

The obsession with risotto, particularly mushroom risotto, continues unabated

Risotto + glass of wine + Jane Eyre (the Michael Fassbender version ;)) on dvd = perfect evening. easilypleased.com!

Tonight my boyfriend is having Thai Red Curry and I had McDonald's with a friend earlier so am stuffed now!

Ages ago B0jangles mentioned Laoganma chili sauces and sparked my interest so today I medicated away an irritating day in work by hitting the Asian Market for a new bottle of sriracha and a jar of chili black bean goodness. First though was that it looked gank and would be consigned to the back of my press with the other experimental jars of things I've frittered money away on but then I tried some. Oh my. So good, savoury and hot and addictive. I was eating the black beans from the jar with a spoon before I got a hold of myself.

cc9ef4e7-17c7-485d-83e9-62d58cd5c95e_zpsae33f775.jpg

Then because I had chili waiting to be heated for dinner but also could not not have rice and my new best friend, black bean chili sauce, I had courses. One small bowl of chili, 1 plate of rice, veg, Laoganma, soy & a little sriracha for some sweetness. I feel like I have the ready brek dragon in my belly.

Followed by a couple of marshmallows filled with grape-y stuff. Happy.

0f620641-e3b4-4796-8cca-39a4f0a17faa_zpsc084bd2a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

First attempt at pork gyoza tonight - not too shabby. Fried first and then steamed. I think I need a better cooking method as they came out quite oily. But so so delish! And the hint of ginger from the filling was yum :)

There were supposed to be leftovers for lunch but they disappeared.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

sillymoo wrote: »
    First attempt at pork gyoza tonight - not too shabby. Fried first and then steamed. I think I need a better cooking method as they came out quite oily. But so so delish! And the hint of ginger from the filling was yum :)

There were supposed to be leftovers for lunch but they disappeared.....

Amazing!!! Recipe please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement