Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Made a slimming world friendly macaroni cheese - yum! With loads leftover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Combined a couple of ideas from Sea Gastronomy (heartily recommend it as a book and information source on food from the sea)......

Seared hake with root vegetables and butter beans......

376373.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Currently enjoying a lovely cough and cold. All I wanted was something quick and tasty. Bought some courgetti, prawns and a tomato, pecorino and chilli sauce in M&S. I never buy jars of pasta sauce and I will never do so again. What I could taste of it was very disappointing. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Smoked a couple of racks of lamb ribs, then dusted with Chinese 5 spice. Dressed one with a sweet tamarind sauce, and the other with sriracha and ssamjang sauce.

Made lotus leaf steamed rice parcels and steamed choi sum and broccoli to go with the ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night I made a nice pasta dish. I used a packet of mince from the supermarket mixed in with mince from the butchers, never again. The grease from the supermarket mince (although I drained off the juice/water from it before adding in the other ings), there is still quite a lot of grease within the pasta itself, its horrid.

Tonight will be medium-rare fillet steaks, baked garlic mushrooms, buttery/garlicky spinach and scallion mash (as always!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Last night I was cooked, fillet steak with onions, portobello mushrooms, grilled tomato, asparagus, broccoli and potatoes. Eton mess followed, followed by cheese and crackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

One of those salads where the 'nice things' outrank the green things heavily. Marinated chicken thigh meat roasted with chorizo, roast sriracha chickpeas, a whole ripe avocado, bit of mozzarella, with baby gem, cucumber, lovely little cherry tomatoes and red onion. Drizzle of pistachio oil, squeeze of lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Turkey, ham and stuffing, served with potato dauphannoise (left over from Christmas), mangetout, carrot and a delicious gravy.

Was a mini christmas dinner, still have another dinners worth of turkey/ham portions left

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My husband cooked steak sandwiches tonight. Rustic French baguette (one of those pointy ones:)), smeared with mayo and mustard, with sliced medium rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, caramelised onions and rocket. Top notch.

My husband cooked steak sandwiches tonight. Rustic French baguette (one of those pointy ones:)), smeared with mayo and mustard, with sliced medium rare fillet steak, fried mushrooms, caramelised onions and rocket. Top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Teriyaki duck (Cooked medium) with lots of greens from Yama Mori. Chicken katsu curry for the other side of the table. Perfect food to end the first weekend of drinks since New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Steak sambos with blue cheese butter and balsamic-caramelised onions, served with my ubiquitous sweet potato fries.

I didn't take a pic cause, y'know, it's a sandwich, but they were awesome and I could have easily eaten another half one.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Pork noodle salad. Delicious, but too much pork (surprisingly!).

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Pork noodle salad. Delicious, but too much pork (surprisingly!).

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

Some other weekend goings-on.

Spinach falafels in flatbreads with cumin yoghurt, feta, lightly pickled red onions and baby kale. These falafels are about 1.29 per pack of 10 in SuperValu and they're AWESOME. They're also vegan and about 2 calories each, if you care about such things. Highly recommended as a freezer staple.

12650783_10154499156082678_9159298602949760854_n.jpg?oh=88679b1dbf4f13e0b855c1652ae7963b&oe=57369182

And the lamb kofta salad in Taco Taco. Not sure what such an obviously North African dish was doing in a Mexican (ish) restaurant but it was delicious.

12642797_10154506116787678_7800413903625370132_n.jpg?oh=8c4d0a9f286ce824c1409979f2c4e880&oe=572C2ECF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Pimping Curry Addict's Chicken Biryani.

InstagramCapture_90f37124-5ed9-445e-b8e8-6b8f8017c3ae_jpg_zpspvzlcreb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sunday was Vietnamese roast chicken with lemongrass, fried rice and a pile of French beans & spinach with garlic and ginger.

Tonight will be penne with sausages for me and pasta alla Norma for Mrs Minder.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Shanghai chilli prawns, with noodles and a veg dish of bok choi, mushrooms, onions, minced garlic with rice wine vinegar and soy sauce. Did a bowl of fat free natural yogurt with mint, to cool the prawns for the kids. Got the thumbs up from all, and Syn free for herself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Home made meatballs. Half beef half pork and the innards of a few nice "gourmet" sausages leftover from Christmas that were in the freezer. OMG.

Mixed with breadcrumbs, a couple of slices of stale bread softened and mashed in milk, onion (powder aaaagh, but I don't like the texture of onions no matter how cooked, but like the flavour lol), lazy garlic, what am I like. Worcester sauce, a bit of tomato puree, and a beaten egg.

Fried them off, then put them in a pot with tomato sauce, just a tin of toms blitzed and a bit of flavouring and a glass of red. Left them bubble there for about an hour.

Pasta with fresh parmesan shaving on top.

I'm full as an egg.

I made more than I needed so there's enough for about two or three more of the same in the freezer. Happy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Split a cheese board, a charcuterie board and a bottle of a very lovely Marlborough sauv blanc with my best friend in Fallon and Byrne. Monday madness. So lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

For the gentlemen I made a chicken breast curry. Loads of garlic and the usual other spices in a tomato base finished with coconut cream. I made the same for myself with split peas instead of the chicken. Instead of using a tin of coconut milk I used some from a block of coconut cream. It was very nice. It added the coconut flavour without changing the consistency of the dish. A cleaner fresher coconut flavour too. I'll definitely use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rib Eye Steak, Fried Onions, Champ, Carrots & Broccoli

Roast chicken with lemon-rosemary roast potatoes, sugar snaps and a white wine jus/gravy. Doesn't look like much on the plate but it was awesome. Will strip the chicken today and do a white lasagna tomorrow (eating out tonight) and hopefully stuffed courgettes on Thursday. And freeze the carcass til I have another one or two to make stock with.

12647499_10154508335317678_2134261516967894688_n.jpg?oh=2d667ef865cd9e568592e6118c92d353&oe=5738ABD2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Planning to roast some Kassler on the bone. Serving it with roasted potatoes and veg. I have to pop out to a removal so hope that it will all take care of itself in the oven while I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Another Curry Addict fan is born! :)

Chicken Biryani. Tasted the stock and thought it would be way too spicy for the little G's. They all had seconds!

AD687DB8-4839-41CE-8DB7-1921E9CA8A11_zpsijo4aovx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had beetroot burgers, topped with jalapeno relish, coleslaw, plastic cheese and lettuce. Served with a mix of 'chips' baked in the oven - potato, carrot and parsnip.

HYLbxE7.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight we had beetroot burgers,]

I have to ask!
    Is a beetroot burger a burger with beetroot in it or is it a slice of cooked beetroot?
    Or a vegie patty made primarily from beetroot?
    Curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I have to ask!
    Is a beetroot burger a burger with beetroot in it or is it a slice of cooked beetroot?
    Or a vegie patty made primarily from beetroot?
    Curious.

The last one - a veggie patty made with grated beetroot (and lots of other nice things, including courgette, carrot, chickpeas and tahini). It's this recipe: http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/blushing-beetroot-burgers/

Mish mash 'tapas' last night. Meats, cheeses, chutneys, breads. Green salad, tomato salad, garlic and chilli prawns. It was great.

Something light and simple tonight - Spanish omelette with green salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Thai Green Chicken curry, with basmati rice and chocolate cake for desert :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement