Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was tikka chicken wraps.

I used a Green Saffron spice packet for the chicken and wasn't gone on it at all, it left a perfume-type aftertaste in my mouth.

Only brushing my teeth and using mouthwash got rid of it.

Not sure what to do with the rest of the mix, don't want to use it for wraps again, but don't want to waste it and don't want to make a dish from it and not like that either... :confused::o Maybe binning it is the only option? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

One of my fave Cooking Club recipes - Chicken and Chorizo Rice Bake (with added red pepper).

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055822034

D9DE1BC4-4A10-48D0-9A8E-4B16D7939650_zps6knutdwm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Blue fillet steak with griddled baked potato, fried onion, and the whole lot covered in pepper sauce. Delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yellow split pea curry. Was easily the nicest curry I've ever made. As usual I didn't use any measurements so I'll never be able to do it in the exact same way again.... :(

Served with basmati rice and a plain naan. And a really cold glass of Pinot Grigio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

One of my fave Cooking Club recipes - Chicken and Chorizo Rice Bake (with added red pepper).

It's been awhile since I made this, but isn't that a tad watery?

• Advertisement

Minder's fabulous Vietnamese Roast Chicken with Lemongrass, served with chinese cabbage soup, pan fried aubergine, salad of tomato and cucumber with nuoc cham dressing, and quinoa cooked in stock.

wp_ss_20160216_0001_zpsakq9aon8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

On Monday night we tried out the Secret Chef crown of chicken with garlic and herb stuffing (Aldi) - we thought it was fantastic. Lovely crispy skin and great flavour. I made mash and gravy to go with it. A brilliant weekday dinner.

Last night I steamed salmon fillets with lemon slices and sriracha in little tinfoil pouches in the oven, served with steamed asparagus and roasted sweet potato chips. Himself, having been subjected to a childhood filled with salmon fried to a crisp in loads of fat, declared it to be the "nicest piece of salmon" he's ever had.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I made this, but isn't that a tad watery?

Yes, it seems I used too much stock. It was fine though, as it says in the recipe, it's very forgiving. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Cottage pie made to use up leftover beer-y gravy, topped with shredded potatoes. Late because I put it in the pre-heated oven, turned the oven off and wandered out of the kitchen :confused: Oh well, who doesn't like a bowl of cottage pie at 23.00, verrrrrry Mediterranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mrs. Fox that Vietnamese Roast Chicken really looks sublime, I'm going to have to dig up that recipe.

Had roast chook last night with a big blue cheese salad. Very tasty.
    Tonight was tikka chicken wraps.

I used a Green Saffron spice packet for the chicken and wasn't gone on it at all, it left a perfume-type aftertaste in my mouth.

Only brushing my teeth and using mouthwash got rid of it.

Not sure what to do with the rest of the mix, don't want to use it for wraps again, but don't want to waste it and don't want to make a dish from it and not like that either... :confused::o Maybe binning it is the only option? :o

Did you use the Green Saffron Tikka packet and make a curry as per the instructions or did you just put it on the chicken and cooked it? Because if it's the latter it would have been disgusting. The spice mix is for a curry and the measurements are quite precise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Merkin, what do you put in your blue cheese salad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken bhuna tonight from the Curry Secret book. Delicious - and I'd almost finished eating it when I realised I hadn't taken a photo.

Very early dinner these days. Made a mash up of Dizzyblonde's slow cooker Moroccan beef and Lidl's Meatball casserole recently mentioned by Dial Hard. Result was a very tasty meatball tagine in ras el hanout and other spices, with baked beans and chickpeas. Served with courgette ribbons and carrot noodles. Yes, I've succumbed to a spiralizer.

WP_20160217_002_zpshks0d48d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Serious envy :o What crab did you use?

The Asian supermarket listed them as Flower Crab, but I know them as Blue Swimmer Crab. Vietnamese Chicken with Lemongrass looks amazing, lovely colour on the bird.

Last night was dinner for one as Mrs Minder and the kids were to see their Nana. Found a couple of pork chops, so grilled them with chilli, fennel seed and garlic. Made a quick noodle dish with stir fried choi sum.

Tonight was chongqing chicken wings, steamed cheong fun noodles and more stir fried choi sum with shiitake mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Chicken and chickpea stew served with mashed sweet potato

Roast Loin of Pork on a bed of Crushed Mediterranean Potatoes.

B1BE7E98-2768-4F33-8F39-937FAB23CA00_zpszydf7caw.jpg

Minder wrote: »
    The Asian supermarket listed them as Flower Crab, but I know them as Blue Swimmer Crab.

Would you mind sticking up the recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Looks divine. I wonder would Basmati rice work with this recipe? Gonna give it a shot at the weekend. I could live on rice, I love it that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The cat's away (for work) and so the mouse is playing (eating food that the cat is either allergic to or disdains). Tonight I had salmon baked under soft goats cheese, a squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper. Roast sweet potatoes, toasted walnuts, avocado & green things. Salmon & goats cheese were both a bit blahhh but the rest was nice!

XLKpTuN.png

Looks divine. I wonder would Basmati rice work with this recipe? Gonna give it a shot at the weekend. I could live on rice, I love it that much.

Thanks, I used brown rice but I'm sure basmati will be fine. You may need to vary the stock quantity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yesterday, had the last of the Lidl Polish gyoza, with a very very hot chilli sauce. Asbestos lips needed!
    This evening, Lidl dauphinoise gratin with their chicken rolled in a rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Would you mind sticking up the recipe?

I found the recipe on Peter Kuruvita's website, so I've posted the recipe with the link on the Random Recipe thread in the Cooking Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Chicken and chickpea stew served with mashed sweet potato

Could you share the recipe, sounds lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could you share the recipe, sounds lovely.

It was a thrown together dish from the fridge stock that needed to be used so it'll look odd, I got 2-3 dinners out of it, but basically

4 cloves garlic, 3 shallots, 2 onions. All chopped finely and cooked in 1tbsp oil for 10 mins.

Added in 10 peeled baby potatoes, 1/2 butternut squash, 1 red pepper and 6 chopped carrots.

Added 700g chicken. Three tins tomatoes, 1 tbsp tomato puree and 3 tbsp paprika. Pack of torn ham. Finally a tin of chickpeas

I left it to stew for 5-6 hours and served with mashed sweet potato.

It would be awesome with some chorizo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night we treated ourselves to Manifesto in Rathmines. I had the Al Pacino, he had the Carnivora. Both were *divine*

We had a bottle of Montepulciano with it which was fab. Love the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Steak and chips in Mams. She refuses to cook it med rare so it's always like shoe leather :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A hearty beef stew here tonight.

ao9lzk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Was so lazy. Had a bag of the 49c sweet spuds from Lidl. Couldn't muster up any imagination. So I just cut em into rounds and roasted them with seasoning. They cook SO fast!

And dipped them into a bowl of hummous/greek yogurt/hot chilli sauce all mixed. I am carbed out but so full, and it was so easy and satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

LiPkF59.jpg

I made Kung Pao King Prawn for the first time tonight - YUMMY YUMMY also SPICY SPICY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Chilli con carne with basmati rice, cheese and sour cream :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement