Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Baked potatoes with Ikea meatballs and a sauce made with onions, mushrooms and chopped tomatoes, topped with grated cheese.
    (Photo looked fine on Tinypic but now it's on its side...)

378857.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Funnily enough we had home made pizza ourselves tonight. :) Garlicky tomato sauce, salami, mushrooms, onions, mozzarella. Once out of the oven, some parmesan, black pepper and a drizzle of garlic oil. Demolished with a nice beer. Happy Saturday night tummy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

1am sushi. Inexpertly rolled by me. Best salmon ever, I'd have happily eaten it by itself.
    Oh and the strongest wasabi I've ever tasted. Dear god I swear I can smell colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We were this close to ordering a takeaway but instead used up the rest of the kabanossi for sausage and tomato pasta, always a favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Peppered Sirloin Steak from Aldi, cooked with garlic cloves.
    Mashed potatoes. Vegges. And pepper steak sauce from Aldi (1€)

2j5bva.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast King Crab claws with garlic butter. Bloody Mary pasta.

1zqbne0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where did you get the king crab legs? Ive never seen them for sale here in Ireland? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where did you get the king crab legs? Ive never seen them for sale here in Ireland? TIA

Can't help you, I'm afraid. I bought the crab in Costco, Lakeside Thurrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Chilli prawns and garlic chicken with veg and noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Big bag of chips, smothered in vinegar with garlic sauce, cheese and bread. Can of coke to wash it down, crap TV and Green & Blacks mint choc for dessert. Very happy at the min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we're having chicken marinated in a fajita spice mix but in pitta bread (no wraps in the house) with salad.
    Whispered wrote: »
    Big bag of chips, smothered in vinegar with garlic sauce, cheese and bread. Can of coke to wash it down, crap TV and Green & Blacks mint choc for dessert. Very happy at the min.
    I want this. :( Might make homemade chips to have with the chicken in pitta. :/

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh do! Homemade chips are the best (from a deep fat fryer, not the oven, they're just long, thin roasties :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh do! Homemade chips are the best (from a deep fat fryer, not the oven, they're just long, thin roasties :pac:)

I did it!! Unreal. It was exactly what I needed.

Oven chips? Pfft none of those around here, fat fryer all the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Any chance of the dough recipe? Really good homemade dough continues to elude me and it drives me mad.

I use a portion of buckwheat flour in my dough - I think it improves the flavour.
    So, 400g strong white flour, 100g buckwheat and about a teaspoon of salt into a bowl.
    I put a scant teaspoon of honey (sugar is fine too) in warm water with a teaspoon of dried yeast - about 300ml and let the yeast come to life for a few minutes.
    Add the water to your dough and mix together. You'll probably need more water. Add it bit by bit until you have a workable dough consistency.
    Out onto a well floured surface and knead for a good 10 minutes.
    Divide dough into five equal balls for very thin pizzas, give them a rub all over with olive oil and put them in a loose plastic bag on a plate in the fridge to develop for a couple of days (this really improves the flavour - even overnight but will hold for a week like this).
    When you want your pizza, take out dough for a couple of hours to warm up. Stretch out your dough (I make mine up on a pizza tray - then put tray on hot pizza stone in oven - it's not as good as getting pizza directly onto stone but way, way easier) and put on your toppings.
    Have your oven as hot as it will go and preheated. Stretched thin, with minimal toppings, mine cook in about 7 minutes in my oven. This will change with pizza thickness, amount of toppings and heat of oven.
    Phew, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thanks for that. I've tried many recipes over the years and the only time I'm ever truly happy with homemade pizza is when I cook it on the barbeque. Even with the oven preheated to full whack with the pizza stone in it I'm just never 100% happy with the result.

Anyway, back on topic. Last night we went out for dinner for my dad's birthday. I didn't take a pic but I had monkfish tails wrapped in parma ham with beurre blanc, roasted cherry tomatoes and potato gratin. It was gorgeous.

Saturday night was green chilli, which was, as always, amazing. Thank you, Jamie Oliver for bringing this into my life.

12801494_10154572888332678_9112997503502332870_n.jpg?oh=aa1376fa20d8ca9128057e836b01d656&oe=57545692

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

After a recent visit to Miyazaki in Cork I was inspired to try Japanese cooking at home. I did crispy fried chicken with katsu curry sauce on the side, lightly steamed kale, Asian cabbage & shredded sugar snaps in a warm dressing (sake, oil, soy sauce, vinegar, chilli, ginger & sugar) & served with Japanese rice.

The curry was a bit too thick, but the Kids loved it. The steamed veg was an absolute winner all round.

Having dinner at an Indian restaurant now.

Ordered prawn bhuna, shahi meat (duck meat) butter naan & garlic naan. Mango lassi.

312aa2r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Home-made cottage pie with added peas and carrots (with a tiny sprinkling of cheese on top) with broccoli.
    Very tasty!

a1s7yp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Having dinner at an Indian restaurant now.

Ordered prawn bhuna, shahi meat (duck meat) butter naan & garlic naan. Mango lassi.

Looks smashing! Interesting with duck. Where is this?

This was in Planet Spice, Clonmel, Co. Tipp ☺
    I think they have few more branches in south East
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Looks smashing! Interesting with duck. Where is this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Hairy Bikers have a chicken recipe involving 40 cloves of garlic. I didn't go quite that high with the numbers, but wasn't far off.:pac: Didn't bother with the colcannon. Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A very delicious creamy mustard chicken adapted from The Little Green Spoon, with garlic kale and sugar snap peas.

InstagramCapture_2dbbfcd9-43d8-4996-aa1d-83e42b8fb89a_jpg_zpst2yphmxr.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Pork chops, potato wedges, broccoli, rich onion gravy with garlic and red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The Hairy Bikers have a chicken recipe involving 40 cloves of garlic. I didn't go quite that high with the numbers, but wasn't far off.:pac: Didn't bother with the colcannon. Enjoyed it.

I once made a similar recipe but the cloves were peeled and it was chicken fillets so not cooked for anywhere near as long. It was delicious, but I was lazy and didn't clear away properly afterwards. My mam came in from a late meeting in the golf club or something that night, saw all the garlic in the bottom of the roasting dish and, thinking it was pieces of chicken, grabbed a handful and milled them. Nearly poisoned herself and my dad with the reek of garlic off her that night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Baked pork and beef meatballs with mozzarella centres, tomato sauce, and penne. Picture is not pretty because I'd given it all a good mix before I remembered the photo.

Anyone know how to stop the mozzarella all leaking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kylith wrote: »
    Baked pork and beef meatballs with mozzarella centres, tomato sauce, and penne. Picture is not pretty because I'd given it all a good mix before I remembered the photo.

Anyone know how to stop the mozzarella all leaking out?

Did you brown them in a pan first? Apparently that helps with the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Did you brown them in a pan first? Apparently that helps with the cheese.

No, just bunged them in the oven. I did it that way because they always break up in me in the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

sweet potato hash ,aldi beef medallion medium rare sliced thin,soft eggs.. sriracha sauce

23hx7k3.jpg

cant for the life of me make a poached egg,ive seen it done,ive stood beside someone making one,yet when i do it ...forget it hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Garlic chicken strips and oven roasted sweet potato fries, they didn't last long enough to take a pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Watched Mary Berry's Foolproof Cooking last night......

Chicken thighs, stuffed with sausage and wrapped in bacon. Roasted cauliflower with a lemon and caper dressing. Crunchy baby potatoes.

All looks a bit browny but was bloody lovely!

BC98357F-E6C4-40FE-96FC-B6B7DC17BCE0_zpsnz7enpri.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement