Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mapo tofu, stir fried chicken with beans in dragon sauce, hot and sour soup.

I had the hot and sour soup for lunch at a very authentic Chinese place near work and I wanted to recreate it at home. Straight forward enough, all small bits of chicken, bamboo shoot, tree ear mushroom, tiny prawns, spring onions, tofu in a broth with dried chilli, chilli sauce and vinegar for the sour. Thickened with a little cornflour, it has a beaten egg added at the end like an egg drop soup.

The lunch soup had egg in it. But it was in large, billowy pieces like petals floating in the hot soup. I got threads of egg. Am thinking I overworked the beaten egg. Anyone make egg drop soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made my first ramen (beef, chili & lemon) from scratch last night & it was delicious. I usually go for highly-flavoured stocks when making soups, but made my dashi fairly light. It was a bit of a revelation as it really let the chili & lemon come through.

The rest of the family were having their sacred Friday Pizza Night, but when Mrs Billy had a taste of mine she was mad jealous. Tough! :p (OK, I promised to make it again on Sunday for a Mother's Day treat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chicken jalapeño Pizza at Tramore beach, Co. Waterford

Nice, where ya get that in Tramore???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Cant recall the name. We were there for a day trip only.
    This was just infront of the beach. They have beach view from tables , with all white decor.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Nice, where ya get that in Tramore???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was mushroom 'carbonara' with green chillies. Authentic schmauthentic. My gob, my rules.

7E6D1169-D0A4-4197-845F-AE1F8F9FAF4D_zps5evtgay9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Sticky goodness!

BBQ beef ribs with mash & corn on the cob

25534605045_627cfa1761_b.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Slow cooked lamb with a sauce made from the meat juices, garlic, onion, cranberry sauce and port.

The salad was baby leaves, couscous also made from the meat juices, mint, beetroot and feta.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Loire wrote: »
    Sticky goodness!

Where would a gentleman buy such ribs? I had once before but they were given to me. Amazing flavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Used up the last of the Christmas turkey today...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Makood wrote: »
    Loire wrote: »
    Sticky goodness!

Where would a gentleman buy such ribs? I had once before but they were given to me. Amazing flavour!
    O Mahony's, English Market, Cork sell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Makood wrote: »
    O Mahony's, English Market, Cork sell them.

Yip, that's where I got them and they were great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We really really need a son or daughter of the English Market in Dublin now. Soon.

No news of what's happening with the old Fruit and Veg market off Capel Street yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Cheesy pasta bake for me tonight. It was much needed comfort food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Crappy pizza last night (jus rol pizza bases are really salty)

The night before was lamb korma with spinach, broccoli, and rice.

I got some pork medallions for €2 in Aldi recently so for dinner tonight I'll have them in a creamy mushroom sauce with either mash, salad or pasta....

Need to get some wholewheat pasta though as I don't eat white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I had one of those mishmash dinners that look atrocious but taste great.

Lightly cooked broccoli, red peppers & red onion mixed with a just barely cooked fillet of salmon and spinach/tomato pasta. I say fillet but it was the triangle end part, I prefer that for some reason.
    Then stirred all together with some garlic powder, butter, salt and pepper. Nomnomnomnom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Was feeling lazy so made a beef stir fry with one of the pre-packed stir fry mixes from Aldi. Had it with a soy, sesame and black bean sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haven't made it in years - Chilli Con Carne with some cheese and a dollop of yogurt.

1449BFF1-B721-46EA-877D-0F543F23D0AF_zpskhxvakva.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Shepherd's pie. Man, it was good. With a load of crusty bread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Had turkey steak with fresh vegetables, gnocchi & cheese. Extra virgin olive oil on top.

p.s. what image sharing website is best?

20160307_134830.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stew!

Veggy_stew.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

Made a chicken stew for the first time ever. Delighted with the results!:cool:

Also made a chocolate biscuit cake which is in the fridge chilling at the moment so hopefully it turns out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

2nr0ymp.jpg

BBQ ribs smoked on my weber kettle grill for a near 5 hours, glazed with maple syrup, bbq sauce, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce

Homemade Cornbread, Mexican meat balls and coleslaw

BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BBQ ribs smoked on my weber kettle grill for a near 5 hours, glazed with maple syrup, bbq sauce, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce

Homemade Cornbread, Mexican meat balls and coleslaw

BOOM!

OOOOh Cornbread, recipe please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tom_Barry wrote: »
    Also made a chocolate biscuit cake which is in the fridge chilling at the moment so hopefully it turns out well.

Did one of those a while back (on the I like cake thread), really gooey and nice! Takes too long to set though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I had spent most of the weekend cooking, so yesterday I wanted something simple and quick.
    Butternut squash soup with ginger and coriander, and one of Lidl's rustic baguettes. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Homemade Cottage pie and Marrowfat Peas, yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

Did one of those a while back (on the I like cake thread), really gooey and nice! Takes too long to set though :)

Have just tasted it now - So happy with the results!

All is good except that it is very crumbly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Had turkey steak with fresh vegetables, gnocchi & cheese. Extra virgin olive oil on top.

p.s. what image sharing website is best?

I use Tinypic

• Advertisement

Tonight was scallion mash, striploin steak (overcooked), and a mix of red onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and baby spinach cooked on the pan after the steak.

It was nice but in future I'll be sticking to rib-eye steaks as they are much more flavourful than striploins.
    Found a pic of this so said I'd post it.

11958ia.jpg
    I got some pork medallions for €2 in Aldi recently so for dinner tonight I'll have them in a creamy mushroom sauce with either mash, salad or pasta....

Need to get some wholewheat pasta though as I don't eat white.
    This was delicious, went to Aldi this morning for more medallions but they had none :(

2lsh8ja.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement