Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Chicken biryani this weekend ☺

kbd4ax.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Billy86 wrote: »
    I hope you brushed your teeth after, I'm convinced there's more sugar in their sauce than in cake icing. :o

One of the reasons I bought it because it doesn't contain sugar as ingredient. Could you be talking about their other sauces? BBQ perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

I recently completed one of Neven Maguire's cookery courses and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. We cooked over two days and cooked all the recipes ourselves, so all in all about 15 dishes. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves cooking and learning. We're still trying some of the dishes ourselves at home, the chicken thigh 5 spice salad being a particular favourite of mine. I love his hake and prawn dish and kataifi prawns also. The caramelised pork I wasn't a huge fan of, I found it too much effort. I had never tasted Madeleine's before but I'm hooked now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made a sort of laksa. I used thai gold yellow curry paste as the base and it was delicious! Deffo going into rotation.

sort_of__laksa_720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I recently completed one of Neven Maguire's cookery courses and I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. We cooked over two days and cooked all the recipes ourselves, so all in all about 15 dishes. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves cooking and learning. We're still trying some of the dishes ourselves at home, the chicken thigh 5 spice salad being a particular favourite of mine. I love his hake and prawn dish and kataifi prawns also. The caramelised pork I wasn't a huge fan of, I found it too much effort. I had never tasted Madeleine's before but I'm hooked now :)

I did a 1 day course the Xmas before last. It was a great day out. Major kitchen envy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    One of the reasons I bought it because it doesn't contain sugar as ingredient. Could you be talking about their other sauces? BBQ perhaps?

That's interesting, Dominos sauce for me (the standard one) always tasted incredibly sweet, kind of like Dolmio. Assumed it must've been packed with sugar but I guess I was wrong! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Miss Merry Berry

Loire wrote: »
    I did a 1 day course the Xmas before last. It was a great day out. Major kitchen envy!

Tell me about it! I want every gadget he has and the induction cooker. My partner also wants to spray paint our cream kitchen cabinet doors the same green colour now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've been a major poutine convert since moving to Toronto, and with a lazy Saturday in with some friends watching a movie... I had a plan, poutine bacon pie! :D

It unraveled a little at the top, but thankfully held together perfectly fine because of the two hours in the oven (175c if anyone's wondering)! For anyone interested in trying, you will need per pie: 2 packs of rashers if not a little more, 2 potatoes (or two fistfuls of thin chips), about 150-200g of cheese curds (mozzarella bits will do), and about 300ml of gravy. Follow the pictorial instructions above (save half the gravy for when it's done, to pour over), use a disposable tinfoil pie dish and stab a few holes in the bottom; the grease that comes out of this thing is nothing short of scary. Also flip the pie from one dish to another before putting in the over, so the 'top' is on bottom (I just reckon it's more stable that way - won't completely come apart).

One pie will do two very hungry people, my room mate and I split one while three of the girls split the other. Probably best also dial '99' on your phone too in case you need an ambulance in a hurry.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was worried about the dark colour the bacon went but it was perfectly fine and didn't have even a slight burned taste to it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Looks a bit of a mess, tastes the best. Ultimate comfort food

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ecn7p7vlj0j1lrt/AADTzQi7aEu533lrU27htt5Sa

Bbq chicken nachos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had a kinda interesting starter the other night. I spotted packs of jellyfish in brine in a new Asian shop in Cork. We'd had jellyfish at a wedding in Singapore and liked it so I thought I'd try it.

It comes ready to eat, so I just rinsed it and combined it with finely sliced cucumber, pickled chillies, some of the chilli vinegar and a little oil.
    It was lovely. The jellyfish doesn't have a whole lot of flavour but is a really interesting texture.

Ny9W9GE.jpg

• Advertisement

Pan basted rare duck breast, fried polenta cake, lemon sweetheart cabbage, leeks sautéed with garlic, garlic and thyme roast tomatoes, apple and red wine jus.

A62BwsK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beef, potato, carrot, onion pie with peas and some last minute oxo type "gravy"

My pastry making continues to frustrate me.

Pastry_Pie.jpg

My pastry making continues to frustrate me.

Google rough puff pastry. It's very easy to make and is very impressive in homemade pies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

My presentation skills are shockingly bad.

312zdbc.jpg

Scallops, black pudding, bacon, with cauliflower puree, pea puree and a chorizo butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

photo%206_zpswoufbbcd.jpg

Oven chips, peas, and haddock crusted with couscous. Cruchy and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Had bhuna chickpeas and naan at an Indian restaurant .

5v563q.jpg

14iigie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Simple fare - we just had pasta with mushrooms, broccoli and pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Had Pasta and chicken.

I cook the onions and diced chicken with Chorizo. Then add previously cooked mushrooms (I find this best as then the water from he mushrooms does not creep into the sauce). Finally add Supervalu Tomato and Mascarpone fresh pasta sauce and serve with pasta. It always turns out delicious. I think pre cooking the mushrooms and using chorizo to cook the onions and chicken really makes the dish.

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's interesting, Dominos sauce for me (the standard one) always tasted incredibly sweet, kind of like Dolmio. Assumed it must've been packed with sugar but I guess I was wrong! :o

Oh, I thought you were talking about Mic's Chilli hot sauce! My bad.
    I'm not a fan of fast food pizzas; you're right, they are sweet.

Using up the rest of the scallops.

Scallop eggs benedict with potato cakes and more of the chorizo butter. Going to freeze the butter. I made way too much of it. Oops.
    2vuwjk3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

SB_Part2 wrote:
    Using up the rest of the scallops.

I love scallops. Lidl had them in this week and I went up today prepared to fill the basket.

They were like full stops they were so small :-(

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I love scallops. Lidl had them in this week and I went up today prepared to fill the basket.

They were like full stops they were so small :-(

I'm glad I didn't bother with them. I was just randomly walking by Kish and decided to get some. Scalded my fingers trying to turn them in the pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Tried Jamie Oliver's green chilli on Dial Hard's recommendation and it was really good! I hadn't tried pork mince before but the flavour dynamic is quite different to a beef chilli

iqvpd4.jpg

photo%207_zpswb5ovlrg.jpg

Spiced chicken breasts, broccoli, and roasted sweet potato with lemon-garlic aioli.

The aioli was amazing. I halved the recipe since there were only two of us, except for the garlic, which I doubled. Garlicy burps all evening. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I'd slathered everything in aioli before I remembered to take a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi have whole duck on special - €6.

Roast Duck with Dauphinois Potatoes, Roasted Cauliflower and Brocolli.

5A48609C-C7DB-4862-9C03-C460E106B03A_zpsm0ldijop.jpg

Arteries well and truly blocked!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight is rare fillet steak with scallion mash and some salad. :) Haven't had steak in a while so nice for a change :)
    kylith wrote: »
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/kilyth/photo 7_zpswb5ovlrg.jpg Spiced chicken breasts, broccoli, and roasted sweet potato with lemon-garlic aioli. The aioli was amazing. I halved the recipe since there were only two of us, except for the garlic, which I doubled. Garlicy burps all evening. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I'd slathered everything in aioli before I remembered to take a picture.[/img]
    Have you a recipe for the aioli? What did you use to spice the chicken up? Basic I know but altely anytime I've tried to make spicy chicken its just turned out bland! :( Can't seem to get it right at all. :o

Tonight is rare fillet steak with scallion mash and some salad. :) Haven't had steak in a while so nice for a change :)

Have you a recipe for the aioli? What did you use to spice the chicken up? Basic I know but altely anytime I've tried to make spicy chicken its just turned out bland! :( Can't seem to get it right at all. :o

I used the taco seasoning from here: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2013/09/taco-seasoning-mix/#_a5y_p=1178418

I left out the chilli powder because I hate spicy food. I sprinkled a good amount on some baking parchment, put my chicken breasts on top, sprinkled more seasoning on them, covered with another layer of parchment and walloped them flat with a rolling pin then left them in the fridge for about half an hour to soak up the flavour. Then I cooked them on a griddle pan. I find that hammering them flat and cooking them over a medium high heat keeps them really juicy.

I made the aioli from the recipe here: http://thefitchen.com/2014/10/02/smashed-sweet-potatoes-aioli/ I doubled the garlic because I love the stuff, and boy did it pack a punch!

Aldi have whole duck on special - €6.

Roast Duck with Dauphinois Potatoes, Roasted Cauliflower and Brocolli.

Arteries well and truly blocked!!!!

Is it just me or do you think Aldi/Lidl whole ducks are overly f-aaaaaaaatty? Like, insane ratio to the meat themselves? I used to get the ones from Tesco and they're not too bad. But recently got the Lidl one when it was on offer, cooked it using a recipe that I've done a few times, and it was like, fat soup with a sliver of duck meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

At the in-laws for the weekend. Their lovely n'all but a bit traditional and are fasting today. No meat and absolutely no alcohol. So being the good son-in-law that I am I am currently frying up the biggest burgers I could make for me & Mrs. Loire and have just popped a beer. There goes our part of the inheritance !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Had to laugh. At home and my mother made a divine fish gratin, no meat today here. She then turned around and poured us all a glass of wine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement