Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

We had slow cooker beef stew with baby potatoes last night. Burritos I think is the plan for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A spanish omelette of Chorizo, gnocchi, and blue cheese. Very tasty, but the chorizo overpowered the cheese somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Gnocchi in an omelette?! That's a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I had spaghetti and meatballs last night. I was hoping for a quick supper for all and was going to use a jar sauce but when I 'got there the cupboard was bare' not even a tin of tomatoes. I did find a carton of passata though.

Sauted 1 onion, two cloves of garlic, a ramiro pepper and a grated carrot (sometimes the tomatoes are a bit too acidy and I hate adding table sugar to a savoury dish, the carrot added just the right amount of sweetness), salt and pepper. Added the passata, brought it to a simmer and added the meatballs to the sauce to cook. Added in three teaspoons of frozen chopped basil (aldis best) towards the end Spaghetti and parmesan to serve. It was surprisingly good for a throw together sauce. And I had three portions left over - two for the freezer and one for my.lunch today. :Happy:

I don't know if it was the carrot or the passata that made the difference on the sauce but I would do the same again.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Gnocchi in an omelette?! That's a new one on me.

I find boiled gnocchi quite stodgy, but I love them fried till the go all soft and squidgy with a crispy outside. They're great with a fry, and I had them with stroganoff a few days ago. So, having some left over, I fried 'em up and stuck 'em in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Rogueish wrote: »
    I had spaghetti and meatballs last night. I was hoping for a quick supper for all and was going to use a jar sauce but when I 'got there the cupboard was bare' not even a tin of tomatoes. I did find a carton of passata though.

Sauted 1 onion, two cloves of garlic, a ramiro pepper and a grated carrot (sometimes the tomatoes are a bit too acidy and I hate adding table sugar to a savoury dish, the carrot added just the right amount of sweetness), salt and pepper. Added the passata, brought it to a simmer and added the meatballs to the sauce to cook. Added in three teaspoons of frozen chopped basil (aldis best) towards the end Spaghetti and parmesan to serve. It was surprisingly good for a throw together sauce. And I had three portions left over - two for the freezer and one for my.lunch today. :Happy:

I don't know if it was the carrot or the passata that made the difference on the sauce but I would do the same again.

Odd coincidence but we had spaghetti and meatballs last night too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Would have been four beers but I dropped one outside the shop! AAaarghhh!!!

WP_20160423_20_33_47_Pro_zps28uxpnnm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday, my favourite butchers (O'Mahony's, English Market, Cork) had kid goat. I picked up a rack of it which had the loin chops and spare ribs and I cooked it on the gas BBQ in two pieces.

I made a sort of wild garlic chimmichurry kinda thing from wild garlic, pickled chillies, olive oil, chilli vinegar and sweet smoked paprika. That was it. Just neat and dressing. Effing gorgeous:D

NCzfGMt.jpg

4BbtTNH.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Yesterday, my favourite butchers (O'Mahony's, English Market, Cork) had kid goat. I picked up a rack of it which had the loin chops and spare ribs and I cooked it on the gas BBQ in two pieces.
    I made a sort of wild garlic chimmichurry thing from wild garlic, pickled chillies, olive oil, chilli vinegar and sweet smoked paprika. That was it. Just neat and dressing. Effing gorgeous
    That looks fantastic dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast chicken breast with mash and sautéed onions, mushrooms and mangetout.

25ujm74.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

A 10oz burger with mushrooms, onions, tomato, cheddar cheese with Ballymoe relish on a floury bap with a pint of Rebel Red. Hello Sunday my old friend!

photo%2010_zpskkudgkpf.jpg

Lamb heart paprikash with long grain and wild rice. So much yum. Offal-y good, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Roast chicken breast with mash and sautéed onions, mushrooms and mangetout.

Did you roast the whole chicken or just the breast? if so how did you do it please.

Pork stir-fry. I'm in assignment hell at the moment (5,000 word research project due this week) so I didn't have time to do any proper cooking.

13094159_10154769076587678_7629499264076904590_n.jpg?oh=da838729bf1698e46162951c7b3a29c7&oe=57B78A6A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Pork stir-fry. I'm in assignment hell at the moment (5,000 word research project due this week) so I didn't have time to do any proper cooking.

Your definition of "proper cooking" and mine are very different, that looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm feeling your pain. There has been lots of takeaways, college canteen food (bleurgh) or tray bake yokes from the supermarket :( I can't wait to get finished and get doing some yummy cooking and baking!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Did you roast the whole chicken or just the breast? if so how did you do it please.

I just roasted breast portions. They were quite big so I roasted them for about 35 minutes at 180C, and I rubbed them first with a little olive oil and lemon juice and crushed garlic, then sprinkled on some cajun spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I just roasted breast portions. They were quite big so I roasted them for about 35 minutes at 180C, and I rubbed them first with a little olive oil and lemon juice and crushed garlic, then sprinkled on some cajun spice.

Ah thanks that sounds perfect, they looked delicious!

I'm feeling your pain. There has been lots of takeaways, college canteen food (bleurgh) or tray bake yokes from the supermarket :( I can't wait to get finished and get doing some yummy cooking and baking!!

It's horrific. I actively miss being in the kitchen. This project is due on Friday and I have an exam Friday week and then I'm free. FREEEEEEEEEEEEE, I TELLS YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, until September :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Tonight is bootcamp so early dinner of fishcakes and salad, wish there was no bootcamp so I could have second dinner!,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

today, kind of mexican fried rice, lamb spiced with mexican spices,veg,brown rice.. spiced airfryed sweet potato wedges

ibfd36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Drunken pork from the cooking club.

It was nice but the pork chops dried out :(

Slow cooker minced beef stew. I took a chance and threw in quartered baby potatoes - and they cooked well in it :)

2rw42hl.jpg

Kedgerish. Kind of like kedgeree: mixed rice cooked in veg stock and korma paste, peppered mackerel, peas, poached eggs.

photo%206_zpsvzp8flsd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    Kedgerish. Kind of like kedgeree: mixed rice cooked in veg stock and korma paste, peppered mackerel, peas, poached eggs.

On foot of another thread about "authentic" ; I always thought of kedgeree as a dish involving rice, fish (usually smoked) , eggs and Indian spices. But I had an Indian house mate who referred to any rice one pot use up whatever is around thing as kedgeree.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Rare rib-eye steak smothered with garlic butter, served home made chips. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

On foot of another thread about "authentic" ; I always thought of kedgeree as a dish involving rice, fish (usually smoked) , eggs and Indian spices. But I had an Indian house mate who referred to any rice one pot use up whatever is around thing as kedgeree.

Wikipedia would support your mate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kedgeree

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Slow cooker minced beef stew. I took a chance and threw in quartered baby potatoes - and they cooked well in it :)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2rw42hl.jpg

How long and what setting did you cook for? I'm always a bit nervous of cooking potatoes in the slow cooker but I do love them cooked in a stew.

Last night I had moussaka using this recipe - it's one of my favourite meals and I make this recipe regularly:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1391478/Recipe-Moussaka.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Pan fried salmon and broccoli. Started a new diet yesterday. Probably last until Thursday..

• Advertisement

How long and what setting did you cook for? I'm always a bit nervous of cooking potatoes in the slow cooker but I do love them cooked in a stew.

I gave it four hours on the high setting. They were waxy potatoes so they kept their shape although they were completely cooked through - I'm not sure how floury potatoes would turn out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement