Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Turkey, cranberry sauce, roasted veg and raisins stirred into cous cous. Served with stuffing, obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

We went for a late lunch of tapas in the Port House in Dundrum. It was so tasty. Dinner was pavlova and leftover trifle because it's my birthday so my almost 3yr old insisted we have cake and candles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We're having spaghetti later with a nice bolognese sauce/ragu with lots of red wine & vampire-endangering amounts of garlic, it's been sitting on a low heat for a couple of hours now and will be till my partner gets in at 11.

Now all I have to do is stop dropping out to the pot and dipping fresh bread into it. Have basically snacked on half of it.

Miss-piggy-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Finally got a slow cooker so went through the freezer looking for things to experiment with. Amidst all the random cuts of meat I eventually decided on a pork loin which, after much interneting, I decided to do in Coca Cola. I didn't have any Coca Cola in the house so instead of going to the shop, I figured the bottle of Franziskaner wheat beer I had in the fridge would work instead. When the meat thawed, I realised it was actually a piece of lamb! (shoulder I deduced from examining pictures of lamb cuts online - could be wrong), but decided to plow ahead and try it out. Oh the anticipation, fear and suspense. It smelled really wierd but seven hours later...it was lovely! Totally falling apart. Had it in a crusty roll with coleslaw and Ballymaloe relish. Then had more later with a spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had steak and chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Decided to finally cook the ham today. Glazed it with honey, brown sugar, wholegrain mustard and clementine zest. Oh my god, it was amazing. Left it in the oven for a few hours and when we went to eat, it just fell apart. It was so succulent and tasty.

Roasted some potatoes to accompany it and mashed carrots and parsnips. Delicious.

Comfort food evening with a home-made 3-in-1. Crinkle cut oven chips, roast chicken thighs, chipper curry sauce, LOADS of crispy chicken skin (not necessarily part of a 3-in-1 but I had heaps from roasting the chicken thighs and my partner won't go near it), frozen Lidl Nasi Goreng (wanted rice without the hassle of rice) and some cheese. In a pie dish to recreate a long tray. And green peppers and onions for healthiness. Oink oink.

860a2faa-b046-4c16-8e03-b2b7753150e3_zps600de4a5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

In the pigs ear as we speak . Excellent mains..beef cheek. Watery crianza, terrible music, savage irish coffee. Full review to follow. Pints await. .kehoes here we come! !!!!

On de mobile so apologies for the syntax. Was really looking forward to going here. Ok. Location and dining room perfect. We both skipped starter. Mrs Loire had venison and I had beef cheek. Both were 11/10. Delicious. We both opted for the Crianza at 8.95. It was watery especially as we had a much better Crianza for 7.50 at Fallon & Byrne earlier. Just to add we had really good Kir Royales to begin...They were really nice. As I mentioned the food was excellent. However Mrs Loire ordered the banana dessert and although it was okay it came in a small bowl that looked like an afterthought. At the same time the music turned dancy and our neighbouring table from Canada or the us remarked on it also. We're far from critics but after spending 118e I wouldn't go back
    Which is a pity as the food, location and dining room were great. If I was to recommend anything it would be this: nina simone or Cafe de Paris playing gently, a big plate for dessert and most importantly remove the double door that greets you and replace with a velvet curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Loire I was on the bus home last night after dinner in Jo Burger, and passing the Pigs Ear I wondered if it was a good place to eat.... So thanks for your (well timed) review!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night I cooked for 22 people.
    I did a big pot of beef stew. Shin beef (5.3Kg), smoked bacon, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger, red wine, stock, thyme, bayleaf, allspice, pepper, salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Still full from Christmas eating; a nice simple meal of soda bread topped with avocado and a fried egg. Ridiculous amounts of tea.

IMAG1384_zps13175494.jpg

Himself had his on a doorstep of homemade bread. Nom.

IMAG1387_zpsa8c2f6ec.jpg

Loire I was on the bus home last night after dinner in Jo Burger, and passing the Pigs Ear I wondered if it was a good place to eat.... So thanks for your (well timed) review!

To be honest I'd go ahead. The food was great. The music is easily sorted anyway and I'm probably being picky about the dessert plate!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

yesterday I cooked Taiwanese Three-cup Chicken, a recipe I found on Boards from Mrs Fox.

I didn't have any kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) and the Korean markets oin my street didn't sell any so I found a pretty good recipe to recreate it though you need to add some sliced ginger and star anise to the simmering liquid. Strain after 5 minutes and it'll be perfect. Use low sodium soy sauce to get the best (sweet!) results.

The dish was wonderful and I had trouble not eating it directly from the pan but cooks are supposed to taste before they serve right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Glad you loved the dish Ponster *blush*

Tonight I ransacked the fridge and found another bag of Brussel sprouts and a log of sausage meat. Made sausage nut stuffing balls, roasted sprouts, mash and onion mustard gravy. Clean plates by everyone.

Tonight we are having roast beef, that was marinading all night and day, it looks and smells delicious, so I hope it tastes delicious too.

It is slightly overcooked due to my mother having a fear of becoming ill or landing her in hospital if she eats meat that has a hint of pinkness to it, so I hope it won't be too tough or chewy to eat.

Despite it being overcooked, she tried to tell me it wasn't cooked enough. Sigh.

Will serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had dinner at my parents' today.
    Dad cooked corned beef, roast potatoes, croquettes, sprouts, peas, carrots, Yorkshire Pudding, little bit of stuffing and gravy.
    I ate every bit.

Went to Fade Street Social for dinner tonight. A cracking place it must be said. There's a bar at the front where the dishes looked cheaper (bites) but we ate in the restaurant at the back. For starters i had an amazing open mushroom ravioli. For mains i had pheasant whilst Mrs Loire went for the venison. Both were delish. The presentation was great. ..mine was served in a copper skillet type of plate. The whole place was buzzing and I'd go back in a shot. The specials included woodcock and Partridge and there was a 1.5kg of tomahawk beef for 150euro!! The wine was pricey though, but overall it was excellent. The sauces were to die for!

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Last night I made myself a sirloin with wedges (oven wedges unfortunately - I was not in the mood to make some).

It was nice, steak was cooked perfect (medium rare) - it was nice but not amazing. Steak was from Dunnes (pre-packed), probably won't buy from them again.

Bit of Coleslaw and of course a nice beer to wash it down.

WP_20131229_001.jpg

awec wrote: »
    Last night I made myself a sirloin with wedges (oven wedges unfortunately - I was not in the mood to make some).

It was nice, steak was cooked perfect (medium rare) - it was nice but not amazing. Steak was from Dunnes (pre-packed), probably won't buy from them again.

Bit of Coleslaw and of course a nice beer to wash it down.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/219679/WP_20131229_001.jpg[/
    I have always found Dunnes (and other supermarkets) to be hit and miss with the quality of the steak (and other meats) they sell. I generally only buy steak from them if the butchers is closed or is out of steak, out of all the supermarkets I would recommend Supervalu for their steaks, they seem to be better quality than both Dunnes and Tesco, but you can't beat a good butchers for a nice steak.

Back on topic, tonight we are having chicken stir-fry. I need something with veggies that's light and doesn't take long to prepare or cook.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I have always found Dunnes (and other supermarkets) to be hit and miss with the quality of the steak (and other meats) they sell. I generally only buy steak from them if the butchers is closed or is out of steak, out of all the supermarkets I would recommend Supervalu for their steaks, they seem to be better quality than both Dunnes and Tesco, but you can't beat a good butchers for a nice steak.

Back on topic, tonight we are having chicken stir-fry. I need something with veggies that's light and doesn't take long to prepare or cook.

Yea the meat was quite chewy. I just got it on the spur of the moment yesterday and I wasn't bothered driving to a butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We had chickpea, butterbean and chorizo stew with some crusty bread. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Going through a major prawn obsession at the moment so we are having a Bangladeshi prawn curry with brown rice. Got the recipe a few years back from a Rachel Allen book and my OH has been obsessed with it ever since.

Chicken, rice & vegetables with a sauce made of chili paste, soy and orange juice. Followed by Baileys & chocolate milk

d8fdbce4719011e3977a1299e2ca7927_8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

For a horrible moment I thought the picture of was of the chicken, rice and vegetables all blended up into a liquid. Thank fook!

We had oven baked salmon and ratatouille. Getting back into a semblance of normal eating after a rather bingey Christmas. Sorry for terrible photo.

IMAG1396_zps3f3b9b04.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For a horrible moment I thought the picture of was of the chicken, rice and vegetables all blended up into a liquid.

I thought that too!

Tonight we had roast chicken and stuffing with roasted potato cubes and onions, and coleslaw. I wasn't bothered cooking vegetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made 5spice chicken legs, brocolli and fried rice tonight. Tasty

For a horrible moment I thought the picture of was of the chicken, rice and vegetables all blended up into a liquid. Thank fook!
    I thought that too!

Getting started on the ould post-Christmas liquid diet early!

celebrity-slim-meal-replacement-roast-chicken-flavour-soup-55g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Prawn and leek risotto. Cooked long and slow. My boyfriend makes a great mushroom one but I think this could take the place as a good go-to risotto. Was delicious and a nice change from the traditional dinners we've been having of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cooked a large piece of brisket that had been brining in the fridge for 10 days. After almost 5 hours on the hob it was meltingly tender. Ate it in bagels with cream cheese, mustard and pickles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

As with many here trying to get over the excess of the Christmas period so last night did up a Thai Green King Prawn Curry (inc some sliced beans and spring onion). Very nice indeed apart from the fact the prawns were a little overdone.

Sunday night was Roast Rib with garlic spuds and roast carrots (getting better at the portion control so little or no left overs!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement