Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Minder wrote: »
    Are you making Chinese dumplings or Yorkshire puddings?

My mistake ! Yorkshire puddings. Sorry misread the post..oops !
    PS Try the recipe though !:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Smelly Aldi was sold out of those little fryers so I ripped off Emaleth's idea and bought a titchy one in Argos. Tonight we had chips and buttermilk onion rings. I cooked at too high a temp for both the blanching and the crisping phase and need to drop it next time. Served with peppered steak and pepper sauce

746463ed-5b5b-41eb-b304-db527e1e639a_zps3ef38fa9.jpg

Next stop - doughnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I made a chicken and sweet potato pie last night. I tend to make my best dishes when I make them up as I go along, and this was no exception! Made a creamy white wine sauce with a hint of lemon, then cooked the chicken in it and topped with sweet potato mash, crushed cream crackers and cheese.

It was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Again, I was afraid someone would ask!:o

Thanks a mil for that - an education and a reference all in one!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had delicious smoked haddock fishcakes with gooey cheese in the middle with a rather gargantuan salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Calamari bocadillo with garlic mayo and finely sliced pickled green chillies, lemon & honey chicken wings, and a large green salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried/oven roast duck breast. Rhubarb, ginger and star anise sauce. Herb crumb coated potato, Jerusalem artichoke and garlic cakes. Ginger and honey roast parsnips carrots and garlic. Curly kale fried with garlic.
    A lot of garlic in this one:eek:

5cUW8g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

beer,how often do you eat Jersualem artichoke?

fussyonion wrote: »
    beer,how often do you eat Jersualem artichoke?

We have it in the garden so we eat it periodically from about October to the end of February - maybe once a week or so. It is just about gone now - might find a few more tubers lurking in the ground.

Last night for dinner I ate King cheese & onion crisps with Laoganma black bean chili sauce. Then I went out with my cousin and drank a lot of beer. Today I am in a total jock and do believe that my sensible dinner might have had something to do with it

026aee52-822f-4f0e-87af-3db038ab04c6_zpsb802007d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just had a lazy, but yummy, dinner of sausages and potato pie from our local butcher and scrambled eggs - mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Laoganma black bean chili sauce. ]

This with boiled egg. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think I may have said this 10 or 11 times before, but laoganma makes The Best fried rice you will ever eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Wednesday night we had savoury pulled pork with roast potatoes. It was pork neck slow cooked with root veg, stock and seasonings. It was great. Pulled pork Irish style. :)

Thursday was Chinese restaurant food - standard fare of shredded chicken with salt and chilli, chicken curry with boiled rice and prawn crackers. It was just what the doctor ordered with a few nice Tsing Tao beers.

Friday was spicy Thai noodles with succulent king prawns.

Tonight was teryaki salmon with soba noodles and stir fried greens.

Tomorrow my friend from Hong Kong is cooking and I cannot wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Thai chicken and basil stir fry.

295318.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

An egg was such a genius idea, why did I never think of that!? Eggs make everything tastier! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

An egg was such a genius idea, why did I never think of that!? Eggs make everything tastier! :D

I love eggs but just can't see how it fits in here, dish looks lovely otherwise.

Really simple dinner last night - great flavours, though.
    Fried/grilled chicken thighs with rice wine jus. Boiled Camargue rice. Wilted spinach with a little nutmeg.

6etBhG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Having first read the recipe about a year ago, I finally got round to making the Hairy Dieters Skinny lasagne - where you use blanched leeks instead of pasta. It was so good, I don't think I'll bother making "proper" lasagne again!
    Had a lovely cucumber and tomato salad with it and a orange/apple/blueberry porridge crumble for dessert washed down with a glass of Montepulciano.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Tonight I had slow roasted pork belly slices which were marinaded in a soy, sesame oil, garlic, chilli flakes and five spice powder. Served the pork belly with stir fried pak choi, bean sprouts, mangetout and spring onion and basmati rice.

ig]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

We've been busy moving to a new place all week, so finally got around to celebrate our anniversary last night. I was geared up for Beshoff's scampi and chips overlooking Howth pier, but himself got us a table at Marco Pierre White's on Dawson, I was chuffed :-)
    We skipped starters as it was quite late.
    He settled for a light and tasty crab tian.
    I had a halibut steak a la grenobloise with creamed spinach and mash. It was superb, damn superb.
    Dessert we shared a generous size of sticky toffee pudding, with clotted cream.
    Finished off with a double espresso.
    Really enjoyed my food, and service was ace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade chicken balls, fried rice and curry sauce, thanks to the Cooking Club :)

Cottage Pie

2e79a4fa-f62c-4773-88d9-ba042fbed0ae_zpsd0ece89e.jpg

Followed by Ben & Jerry's Blondie Brownie

b4778b6d-f26a-4553-bd7a-bbf197b1dffc_zps542fdff5.jpg

Time for a run now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Lamb rump with champ and roasted tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lamb here too. Roast rump of lamb with zatar. Sauces for the lamb - harissa, chermoula and tomato murabba. Served it with quinoa and a salad of leaves, figs, toasted pumpkin seeds and goats cheese.

When you guys say lamb rump, what cut exactly do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

If you love eggs (I do too) and Asian flavours then you should make nasi goring. Dead easy to make, it's basically an Indonesian fried rice with an egg on top and is really scrummy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thai chicken and basil stir fry.

<removed picture>
    Puzzle35 wrote: »
    I love eggs but just can't see how it fits in here, dish looks lovely otherwise.

A lot of Thai street food is served with a fried egg on top, although the fried egg tends to be flashed fried in really hot oil, so while it still tends to have a dippy yolk, the white is quite crispy like the one in the pic below.

6543941805_41cb93ffa8_z.jpg

This dish in particular is called Pad Gra Pao Gai Kai Dao (Thai basil chicken, boiled rice and fried egg) which I remember getting from street vendors when I was there many moons ago, but the fired egg is definitely served with lots of other dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Baked Camembert with pitta crisps, beef Wellington with roasted garlic mash and brocolli, chocolate orange cake from the cooking club. Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I made Roast Chicken with all the trimmings yesterday, which means lovely chicken and stuffing sambos for lunch today and Risotto for dinner tonight.

I love that you can get so much out of a small chicken. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement