Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Dial Hard wrote: »

That looks class

386348.jpg

Last night was slow cooker beef and Smithwicks stew with homemade wedges.

Based on Catherine Fulvio's beef and guinness pot roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I boiled and baked a ham earlier this week, was sick of just having it with salads so I made a mushroom and ham pie tonight. It was kind of disappointing to be honest. Fried the mushrooms off in some butter, added in onion and the ham and then the wine. Creme fraiche added just before the oven with a handful of garden peas and then topped with puff pastry. All of that sounds really good to me to but the taste just left me a bit... Meh. The pastry was the best part and sure I bought that pre made! Not even looking forward to it for lunch tomorrow.

I still have a lot of ham left over so if anyone has any recommendations of how to use it up I would really appreciate it :)

What about split pea and ham soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sour cream, cheese and coriander.

:eek: You had me until coriander :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

L'prof wrote: »
    :eek: You had me until coriander :D

I knew you were going to say that. So just leave it off.

I used to be one of those people who absolutely LOATHED coriander and could only taste soap off it. Addicted to the stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I knew you were going to say that. So just leave it off.

I used to be one of those people who absolutely LOATHED coriander and could only taste soap off it. Addicted to the stuff now.

I'd eat away at it, don't worry. Never ask restaurants to take it out either but every time I see it I just think, "pah, that soapy stuff again" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I boiled and baked a ham earlier this week, was sick of just having it with salads so I made a mushroom and ham pie tonight. It was kind of disappointing to be honest. Fried the mushrooms off in some butter, added in onion and the ham and then the wine. Creme fraiche added just before the oven with a handful of garden peas and then topped with puff pastry. All of that sounds really good to me to but the taste just left me a bit... Meh. The pastry was the best part and sure I bought that pre made! Not even looking forward to it for lunch tomorrow.

I still have a lot of ham left over so if anyone has any recommendations of how to use it up I would really appreciate it :)

Tuscan Ham and Bean soup: similar to this http://www.food.com/recipe/tuscan-white-bean-soup-with-ham-and-kale-474113. I throw in tinned tomatoes also alongside different herbs etc to make it heartier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi have mackerel fillets on special this week. You still need to pin bone them.

Griddled mackerel on a bed of pasta.

D39BDA26-5999-41A6-80AF-64031349B5DE_zps2xfsgqvw.jpg

Ramen, with enough leftover for tonight, although I can't see any dinner being had with the Leinster match slap bang in the middle of the evening.

13239315_10154832673562678_8272194249811383706_n.jpg?oh=200da34c193604c98fc2a3f63f49c4c1&oe=57A1A08E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Was in France - Haute Savoie recently, and honest to God the Tartiflette is to die for.

So tasty and comforting in the cold up the mountains.

Although I replicated it, it wasn't exactly the same, maybe because I wasn't in the Alps!

the only place I found Reblochon was in Sheridans. Not cheap either, but what the heck!

You can find them in bigger Tesco; I've got them in both Tesco Celbridge and Maynooth. They're sold in semi circle blocks. I can't remember how much they were exactly but I'd imagine they're a fraction of Sheridan's.
    You're right, it doesn't taste the same when you cook it yourself; I'm convinced it has something to do with cooking/eating at cold, high altitudes.
    But still delicious and hearty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Was in France - Haute Savoie recently, and honest to God the Tartiflette is to die for.

So tasty and comforting in the cold up the mountains.

Although I replicated it, it wasn't exactly the same, maybe because I wasn't in the Alps!

the only place I found Reblochon was in Sheridans. Not cheap either, but what the heck!

Fallon & Byrne sell it too.
    As you said, not cheap.

Love the dish, it's so comforting.

Another key difference between here & the alps - you've earned it there!
    It's ideal midway though a heavy skiing session!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Egg fried rice ~(with a good squeeze of lemon), stuffed garlic mushrooms and mixed veg. Had it around 3pm and i'm still stuffed!

I'm vegetarian and sometimes i really do run out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

L'prof wrote: »
    How does it compare to Boojum? I absolutely love Boojum but willing to try somewhere new, if only for a variation of the same thing.

Tried Tolteca last night and I'm not a fan. The pork, rice and salsa was flavourless, OH had steak with medium salsa which was good but not great. I definitely wouldn't recomend the pork and the rice needed the sauce to have flavour and it wasn't very spicy, was a bit fruity but would have been a nice mild salsa but was labeled medium. I think food should stand on its own and as a whole in a dish and my OH's extra sauce was the only thing which added flavour to mine.

Boojum has well flavoured meat, rice and salsa so I'd recomend them. They are also the same, price wise so your not paying more for quality.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Bratwursts for dinner with brioche rolls, fried onions, mustard and ketchup, with salad and a cold beer.

Hot-sauce marinated halloumi with baby spinach, roasted tomatoes, spring onions, raw chillies and a semi-soft boiled egg.

13245342_10154846656742678_3993708191274942288_n.jpg?oh=7138cde0052b06c4649d4c924df844a2&oe=57C7A0F8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was garlic and citrus chipotle salmon with garlicky broccoli. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Incinerated Lidl kangaroo steaks. Will pay more attention next time and reduce heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Last night was curry night.

Tonights dinner is currently cooking - slow cooked beef joint. I'll serve with baby potatoes and sugar snap peas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roasted baby potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes, blanched green beans, panfried snapper fillets and a garlic parsley butter drizzle over the top :).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Made my 1st ever lasagna last night. Was absolutely gorgeous. Usual ingredients but recipe called for milk and red wine in the mince. Wine made a huge difference. The landlady, who detests alcohol in cooking, was hoodwinked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Garlic chicken breast with spicy rice, oven chips and coleslaw.

jb31v9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A few days ago, but it was so tasty and I was so proud of it I wanted to share. I didn't take a pic of the adult plates, but this is my babies plate. Dahl, aloo chana and saag "feta", with basmati rice and a garlic naan.

154buxt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

How did you cook the chicken please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    How did you cook the chicken please?

They were big, so I roasted them for about 35 minutes at 180C. The marinade was on them when I bought them, but it was basically lemon, garlic and olive oil with a tiny bit of chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

http://i65.tinypic.com/jb31v9.jpg
    This looks unreal. Going to try it soon for sure.

How did you do the rice? I've tried spicy rice a few times and can ever get it right, it just tastes bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Went to Featherblade for the second time in two weeks. Absolutely love it.

IMG_5895_zpstrzvkbsd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Oh my good lord!! Prices seem reasonable enough too - http://www.featherblade.ie/sample-menu-3.pdf - going by the photo I was expecting Roly/Shanahan's types.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

SB_Part2 wrote: »

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/ocaulfield/Food/IMG_5895_zpstrzvkbsd.jpg

It's class. Got the hanger steak in there for a late lunch a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

hardCopy wrote: »
    It's class. Got the hanger steak in there for a late lunch a few weeks ago.

The first time I went I had the chipotle hanger.

IMG_5758_zpszclrjpwn.jpg

I was devastated when it wasn't on the menu when I went back but the 9oz featherblade was just as nice.

They don't need the sauces either. I probably shouldn't have bothered getting any.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Dinner for one and can't be bothered

2mpzi94.jpg

Agus cupla cupan tae.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Is that a fried slice on there? Oh to be 30 years younger!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement