Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

^ Is that a fried slice on there? Oh to be 30 years younger!!!!

:)

It's not, it's a bit of potato bread. But it was warmed up in the pan!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Chipper for me tonight.

Two different lots of bad news today so cooking wasn't something I wanted to do, but I still needed to eat so took the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Chipotle marinated, barbequed steak salad. I had just trimmed all the scraggy bits off my rosemary so threw them on the barbie for the smoke.

13321680_10154864234157678_3508605248761210163_n.jpg?oh=9cba44d8882a52ece5f3aa24bdfbabcd&oe=57C97703

13321927_10154864400432678_7870126639309702324_n.jpg?oh=6860084e1e8231675c4a44d521b03ba5&oe=57C45FB7

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Yieks, that looks so good!

I've been not so good recently, so the last three night have been lentil and bean salad as penance (not so bad, it was really tasty!).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hope you're doing ok StripedBoxers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had my first ever taste of Boojum last night. Got a burrito bowl with the mexican rice, chicken, black beans, tomato salsa and cheese. Was so good! I ate that at 6.15pm and didn't eat again until breakfast. That included a half an hour walk each way on the quays in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I was in Dublin for the weekend and we stayed in an apartment in the same building as Boojum. After reading so much about it on here I decided we had to go and try the place. It was so good. I had a fajita. I thought I made a mean fajita but my God the one I got there was amazing.

Steak fajita salad. My poor photo skills don't do justice to how good this was.

312wzyd.jpg

Mixed leaves tossed with stir fried cajun spiced onions and mixed peppers, with lime-avocado, and topped with a rare sliced sirloin, with home made salsa, some sour cream and a grating of mature cheddar. Divine summer dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Kedgeree tonight - and it was delicious! I'll be tucking in to a lemon panna cotta in a little while.

eadfc000-74e1-412a-afee-f47dc0ccb20d_zpsmpzegbai.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Today is our anniversary so we celebrated parent-style with precisely one beer, fish and chips and Netflix. Enjoyed it immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Whispered wrote: »
    Hope you're doing ok StripedBoxers
    Thank you. We lost two relatives in the one day this week, along with other stuff, so it has been a tough week.

Last night was salmon and salad. Quick, easy, tasty and healthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thank you. We lost two relatives in the one day this week, along with other stuff, so it has been a tough week.

Sorry to hear that SB, a tough week indeed.

Sorry for your losses, SB. :(

My friend cooked for me last weekend. She rolled some lamb shanks in seasoned flour and seared them, then added them to a cast iron casserole with a simple sauce made from fresh tomatoes, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, onion, celery and carrots. She cooked it down for 5 hours and served it to me with mashed potatoes. It was so simple, tender and delicious.

When I got home I decided to try it for myself but I couldn't track down lamb shanks for love nor money where I live, so I got a piece of brisket, and did the very same. (I also put my dish in the slow cooker as I was letting it cook all day while I was at work.)

When I got home tonight, I added some Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of sugar to the slow cooker, and shredded the brisket into it. The result was a very rich beef ragu. My husband and I devoured it with fresh home made bread with butter, and some lightly steamed asparagus.

Lots of leftovers for lunches - going to have some with pasta tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Sorry for your losses StripedBoxers...

Yesterday I had Burdocks fresh cod and chips. Eaten sitting on those timber poles across from Christchurch, enjoying the evening sun. About 7o'clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I made a curry last night, and my husband had just sat down with his when the cat leapt up (didn't see the food), landed completely *in* his dinner and then scratched the bejaysus out of him while scrambling to get away. It would have been funnier if we weren't left with half a curry to share :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dolbert wrote: »
    I made a curry last night, and my husband had just sat down with his when the cat leapt up (didn't see the food), landed completely *in* his dinner and then scratched the bejaysus out of him while scrambling to get away. It would have been funnier if we weren't left with half a curry to share :(

Cat curry for dinner tomorrow?

Tonight's dinner was I Didn't Get The Job Chinese Takeaway, washed down with a bottle of Will This Cycle Never End Champagne. :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Microwave moussaka and cheap wine here. Glamour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Gambons fried in butter with shallots, garlic and chilli. Served with asparagus, spinach and a crusty loaf.

1324ABCB-B89E-4AFB-BBE7-59F6E654C43B_zpsshlfy48f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Never thought I would tire of bbq's, but wanted something else tonight. Took duck breasts out of the freezer last night and then didn't want a dinner dinner tonight! So put together a warm duck salad, used a bbc recipe for inspiration but made some changes, it was delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Gloomtastic,

Your dinner looks fantastic but I am very interested in your dinner plate because I possess the same set of crockery. I even have the

matching napkins, teapot, milk jug etc.

I bought the whole Jeff Bank's set in Arnotts in Dublin circa the mid 1990's, possibly 1994/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Nice bbq pork chops, not one but TWO types of (really nice) Aldi potato salad (wasabi & bacon) and a salad of baby spinach, little tomatoes & mozzarella with a really vinegary french dressing. While watching copious amounts of Floyd Uncorked on youtube.

ywAd4UU.jpg

Aineoil wrote: »
    Gloomtastic,

Your dinner looks fantastic but I am very interested in your dinner plate because I possess the same set of crockery. I even have the

matching napkins, teapot, milk jug etc.

I bought the whole Jeff Bank's set in Arnotts in Dublin circa the mid 1990's, possibly 1994/5.

I think I got two plates for £2.00 in North End Road Market in London about mid-90s. They were sold as Jeff Banks. I think we have a matching big cup and saucer somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I think I got two plates for £2.00 in North End Road Market in London about mid-90s. They were sold as Jeff Banks. I think we have a matching big cup and saucer somewhere.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

2 pounds!! I was robbed then. I can't rightly remember what I paid but I did

have to save up and buy the set over a few months. I have a few serving

dishes and the casserole dish and cups and saucers.

Now I have a white Denby set, but I still love my Jeff Banks set of crockery.:)

Aineoil wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

2 pounds!! I was robbed then. I can't rightly remember what I paid but I did

have to save up and buy the set over a few months. I have a few serving

dishes and the casserole dish and cups and saucers.

Now I have a white Denby set, but I still love my Jeff Banks set of crockery.:)

Forgot to mention they were chipped! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Patatas bravas, corn on the cob and a fresh salad. Yummy.

fp31qx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Pulled pork nachos!

m7547m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Sinapore noodles and chicken for dinner tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

All the food looks amazing! Yummm...

This afternoon I made a Happy Pears recipe that was featured in the Sunday Times at the weekend- courgette, peas and feta fritters. They were actually pretty good- the herb and flavour combinations worked really well. :)

Served with guacamole (couldn't find tzatziki but might make it tomorrow to use up the rest of the batter) and a simple side salad.

2vbvslz.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice seafoody dinner.

Chorizo and little scallops to start:

okpgkg.jpg

Salad, roasted baby potatoes with garlic and herbs, and a nice lemony seabass fillet with crispy skin.

29uro6r.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement