Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Teryaki beef with egg noodles, veg and cashew nuts.

24o6882.jpg

Very quiet around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Well, a review of the weekend then.

Friday night after the Ron Finley event in Dublin Castle, I ambled over to Boojum for a pork burrito and a blonde Mexican beer. Delish.

On Sahurday, I had okonomiyaki at home.

Sunday evening. I was out cycling around and I got the smell of cheese, roasted cheese. Anyway, that was it, I went home and had two fried cheese sangwiches. Not the regulation cheddar this time-for a change. One of the Aldi/Lidl flavoured ones with English mustard which I had recently bought.

Yesterday, I was in town again and I got a beef Boojum burrito. No beer this time. And no pics!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I never take pictures of my food, so I don't post here much any more! But I've had some nice meals recently :)

Saturday brunch:

Crab cakes on a bed of avocado, served on a southern-style biscuit, topped with soft poached eggs and cajun Hollandaise sauce. Served with cajun home fries.

Saturday dinner:

Started with lobster tacos. The main was shared between myself and my husband. We had marinated mussels, steamed lobster, We Wai Kai scallops, steamed dungeness crab, poached side-stripe shrimp, lobster mash and incredible honey butter carrots.

(Obviously, I didn't cook on Saturday!)

Sunday, we had a lovely homemade bruschetta for lunch on lightly grilled baguette. Dinner was a homemade Black Forest Ham and pineapple pizza.

The last night, we had a chicken caesar salad. I've been making that a lot recently. It's so simple and fresh, and I make my own dressing too.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We bbq'd the entire weekend and today we had steak and home made chips. I am officially bursting with meat. Tomorrow there shall be fish :D

Faith wrote: »
    The last night, we had a chicken caesar salad. I've been making that a lot recently. It's so simple and fresh, and I make my own dressing too.

Dressing recipe plz!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dressing recipe plz!

It's a bastardised version of this: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/08/caesar-salad-dressing.html

It's not particularly authentic, because it uses mayonnaise, but it's quick and easy. To save on calories, I used about 50-60% greek yoghurt rather than 100% mayo. I also can't get hold of anchovies in my local supermarket, so I left them out. Still nice though!

Naturally, it'd be even better if you made your own mayonnaise too, but ain't nobody got time for that!

There's a more authentic recipe here: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-caesar-salad but I can't vouch for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Tried featherblade on Dawson st this evening for the first time. Steak was incredible, esp considering it was 9oz for €13 with a small green side salad. Super tender and cooked really really well. Medium means medium too. Too often I've gone places where when I ask for medium they serve it well done assuming I don't understand that restaurant medium is more that just a bit pink in the middle. Only slight criticism was that it was getting cold by time we were finished eating. Added prawns and a side of mac and cheese (decent!) between the two of us and it made for a really nice mid week dinner. Would definitely recommend if you're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Nice seafoody dinner.

Chorizo and little scallops to start:
    [/IMG]

Salad, roasted baby potatoes with garlic and herbs, and a nice lemony seabass fillet with crispy skin.

Looks delicious, can I have the recipe for the potatoes please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We roasted a ham on Sunday so last night's plan was to make a chicken and ham pie with leftovers. It was far too hot for the oven so I just steamed some potato cubes and had them with cold ham and chicken.

388227.jpg

Had barbecue on Monday and planning another tonight.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Nice seafoody dinner.

Chorizo and little scallops to start:
    [/IMG]

Salad, roasted baby potatoes with garlic and herbs, and a nice lemony seabass fillet with crispy skin.

Looks delicious, can I have the recipe for the potatoes please?

Soytanly.

I cut some Venezia baby potatoes (a yellowy buttery spud, but any will do) into halves and quarters depending on size, tossed with olive oil, plenty of dried garlic granules, salt, pepper and mixed dried green herbs, then roasted at 200 for about 25-30 mins until tender and slightly crispy. Easy peasy.

• Advertisement

Surf and turf.

5lxfs6.jpg

Lamb chops, garlicky prawns, corn on the cob and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Homemade schnitzel - pork loin flattened and coated flour, egg, then in panko breadcrumbs with thyme and lemon zest, and then shallow fried. Served with assorted salads and eaten in the garden with a cold beer - doesn't get any better in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Late day. Tired. Grouchy. Kitchen in a heap. Cooking would have involved a personal meltdown of epic conniption fitting & a high likelihood of e-coli off one of our more vile surfaces. Dominos man brought us a pepperoni passion and a garlic bread. He loves us.

Tomorrow will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We had smoked paprika sweet potato wedges, wrap pizzas, asparagus, courgette chips and sweet chilli mayo. It was colourful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

This week is really hot here so no more cooking in the oven until September!
    With that in mind, I made a pasta salad with cucumber, yellow pepper, black olives, feta and a bit of oregano. Yum!

Went out for dinner tonight. Cheap and cheerful Italian food. I had mushrooms with garlic and parsley on toast, followed by (ethical) veal in the house sauce, and tiramisu. And wine. Noice.

Had carrots and parsnips to use up so I braved the oven last night. Homemade turkey burgers with Aldi Brioche buns, roasted root veg and potato, and homemade coleslaw.

388440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

hardCopy wrote: »
    Had carrots and parsnips to use up so I braved the oven last night. Homemade turkey burgers with Aldi Brioche buns, roasted root veg and potato, and homemade coleslaw.

Can I have your recipe for the burgers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Lamb burgers, sweet potato fries and salad (mixed leaves, red onion, potato salad, coleslaw, curried rice salad).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Been a bit all over the place with food lately, hoping to get back on track in the coming days :)

Tuesday a friend was visiting so we had griddled chicken in wraps with chips and salad. Wednesday was griddled chicken supreme with chips and salad. Thursday was steak and mash with veg.

Last night was take away, we had crispy chilli beef stir fry with sticky rice and salt chilli chicken.

Tonight will be beef and veg stir fry I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ribeye steak with roast garlic and black pepper butter, fried potato cubes and sautéed onions. It was delish!

2whnzv6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Ciabatta filled with garlic portobello mushroom, fried halloumi, homemade guacamole and salad. Good stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Meatballs in tomato sauce with spaghetti. They were gorgeous. I had to fill up as I'm fasting all day tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tapas for us last night, at a restaurant we'd been meaning to try for years. Absolutely worth the wait, the quality of the food was superb. Between us we had scallops with garlic and Serrano ham, Clonakilty black pudding on ciabatta with relish and quail's egg, pork belly, beef rib in bourbon sauce, patatas bravas and gnocchi in white wine and Parmesan. We followed all of that up with Baked Alaska for him and churros for me. Only one photo as I was too busy in food heaven!

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Can I have your recipe for the burgers please?

Sure, they're basic enough.
    400 grams of Turkey mince, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, paxo golden breadcrumbs and 1 egg.

I'm not sure how many breadcrumbs I used. Mix everything in a bowl and keep adding breadcrumbs until most of the egg is absorbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Tapas for us last night, at a restaurant we'd been meaning to try for years.

Those churrios look amazing, where was the restaurant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

irishmoss wrote: »
    Those churrios look amazing, where was the restaurant?

Oh they were! It was Mimosa in Carlow. They fill up incredibly quickly, if you ever go I recommend getting in before 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Today is Aldi beef medallion cooked rare, broccoli, white onion mash, and a whiskey-cream sauce.

Used Drombeg whiskey, got it on offer in Dunnes for €10, thought it'd be grand in cooking, but nope, it tastes of vanilla. :( Oh well. I'll stick to Jameson in future, unless I can find a cheaper alternative that doesn't have a sweet taste.

Might try it with coke and see if its drinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Today is Aldi beef medallion cooked rare, broccoli, white onion mash, and a whiskey-cream sauce.

Used Drombeg whiskey, got it on offer in Dunnes for €10, thought it'd be grand in cooking, but nope, it tastes of vanilla. :( Oh well. I'll stick to Jameson in future, unless I can find a cheaper alternative that doesn't have a sweet taste.

Might try it with coke and see if its drinkable.

Thing is, Drombeg isn't whiskey. It's a whiskey liqueur like Southern Comfort, Drambuie, Irish Mist, Muldoon etc.
    If a label says Irish whiskey on it (not Irish whiskey liqueur) it will not be sweetened and will taste much like you expect whiskey to taste, irrespective of price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

If it makes you feel better, Stripy, I once attempted to make turkey steaks marinaded in Captain Morgan and stuffed with orange. I must have been on glue. It was like a turkey super split.

On Sunday we had roast beef and v. 'floury' new season potatoes* & vegetables. Then last night we had a hash of all the remaining potatoes, beef & veggies with gravy. Very wintery but very tasty

*I forgot to tell the other side of the table, who is not Irish, that you need to steam those and they exploded into the water he was boiling them in. Niiice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement