Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I had a roast beef dinner yesterday too - not as nice looking as yours, Gloomtastic, and no puddings! We followed it with strawberry and raspberry pavlova.

Tonight I've got Chicken Thai Green Curry and I had two ripe bananas so used those up in a pecan toffee banana bread, almost ready to come out of the oven. I cant wait to try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

tesco do it,powder and paste

Is the powder or the paste better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Baked cheesy refried beans with nachos and tomato and avocado salsa.

25pphl3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Is the powder or the paste better?

i use paste in chillis and stews etc,powder to flavor meat /potatoes

depends on your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where do you all get your harissa from? We made Moroccan eggs for lunch yesterday and tried Lidl, Super Valu and Tesco to no avail :-/
    If your tesco is anything like mine it could be in with the firelighters or nappies!

Seems to be in the "ingredients" range.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268564181

they all have this style of label in the range, you might spot it on a random isle
    IDShot_540x540.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Shenshen did you do the refried beans yourself? If you did can I have a recipe? I do a beany thing with nachos or wraps but they're not refried. Yours looks gorgeous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 521 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Ribs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Whispered wrote: »
    Shenshen did you do the refried beans yourself? If you did can I have a recipe? I do a beany thing with nachos or wraps but they're not refried. Yours looks gorgeous.

Would love your recipe too - looks amazing.

Not to rant on about my pressure cooker - made refried beans in it at weekend. No soaking overnight, just fried some onion until soft, then threw in pinto beans and some water. Cooked for an hour. Best refried beans ever.

Had them with some tomato salsa, gauc and nachos.

According to some blog I read, the bean juice is great in soups or stocks, so I've some in my freezer, even though I can't ever see myself using it

Whispered wrote: »

Well, they're not technically re-fried, I just have no other name for them, really.
    I got the recipe of someone here, I think it might have been Dial Hard?

It's extremely simple:

1 tin of kidney beans
    1 small onion
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1 jalapeno (or chili, but I prefer the touch of vinegar on the jalapeno)
    1/2 tsp of cumin
    2 - 3 tbsp of cream cheese (or cheap Lidl alternative :D)
    Salt

As much grated cheese as you like, cheddar works brilliantly here.

Coarsely chop the onion, garlic and jalapeno or chili, then throw it all and the beans on a food processor. Blend until it's as smooth as you want it, then fill a ramekin half with the mixture. Layer in some grated cheese, then fill up to the top with the bean mixture, topping with more cheese.
    Put it in the oven at aorund 180 degrees for around half an hour, it should be nice and bubbly when you take it out.

It's been one of my go-to "can't be bothered to cook tonight" recipe for a good while now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spicy red tonkatsu in The Ramen Bar in Dublin. It was wonderful. Do recommend.

ZjwL2mO.jpg

• Advertisement

We had leftover cauliflower and mushrooms - not the most common combination in a pasta sauce, but I remembered a dish my mom makes which she calls "Hungarian cauliflower". Granted, she uses different mushrooms, but I've never seen those here so the button mushrooms had to do :

111tl41.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That looks lovely Shenshen! What mushrooms does your mum use? (we regularly "forage" for wild mushrooms here in the south of France).

I had cuttlefish stew for dinner last night, very tasty as usual! I had nice organic courgettes from the in-laws garden to put in the tomato sauce too which was a plus.

That looks lovely Shenshen! What mushrooms does your mum use? (we regularly "forage" for wild mushrooms here in the south of France).

I had cuttlefish stew for dinner last night, very tasty as usual! I had nice organic courgettes from the in-laws garden to put in the tomato sauce too which was a plus.

In German, they're called Stockschwaemmchen, they look something like this:

rez_edeka-stockschwaemmchen-mit-poulardenbrust-rezept-q-t_800x600.jpg

stockschwaemmchen-e5464a18-b4b6-49a3-ac98-fd0ffbe33a35.jpg?width=1000

None of the translation sites recognise the word, the latin name is Kuehneromyces lignicola.

Just simple vegetable satay last night :

2edwnk5.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Just simple vegetable satay last night :

That looks fab, did you make your own sauce?

That looks fab, did you make your own sauce?

Yes, just a bit of stock, some soy sauce, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, lime juice and garlic.
    Can't wait to have the leftovers now :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    Yes, just a bit of stock, some soy sauce, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, lime juice and garlic.
    Can't wait to have the leftovers now :D

Could you share the amount please?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had fajitas last night with a few friends, and more than a couple of Tequila sunrises. :pac:

Home-made seasoning, with rib-eye steaks cooked medium and sliced thinly against the grain, with stir-fried peppers and onions, in warm tortillas with home made salsa and guacamole, topped with cheese and sour cream. Perfect summer dinner, with lemon cheesecake for dessert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had The Curry Secret chicken bhuna last night with home made naan, as usual it was amazing. That's the last of my frozen curry base sauces now though- soon I'll have to spend a few hours making more.

Could you share the amount please?

I can only guess them, I don't usually measure exactly.
    It was roughly this :

200ml of stock
    2 - 3 tbsp of soy sauce
    2-3 tbsp of chunky peanut butter
    juice of 1 lime
    chili to taste

2 cloves of garlic, grated
    1 small piece of ginger, grated

I fried the grated garlic and ginger alongside the vegetables, then stirred the peanut butter into the hot stock, mixed in the soy sauce and lime juice and added it to the vegetables once they were done. It thickens really fast, so you can't really cook the veg in the sauce.

• Advertisement

Wonderful, magical Lidl ribeyes with bearnaise, little baby potatoes & leaves.

CVXC9p4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wonderful, magical Lidl ribeyes with bearnaise, little baby potatoes & leaves.
    Looks amazing MissFlitworth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Haven't deep fried chicken in soooo long ....

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Antonio Carluccio's tuna linguine... Best quick pasta recipe!

That looks really good, Musefan! Is it this recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Indeed! It does not take as long as the website says! I use those little squeezy tubes of garlic & ginger to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hairy Dieters Sweet and Sour Turkey

390375.jpg

Loaded nachos with cheesey, beery, chipotle beef. Not a standard weeknight dinner but I had impulse bought an enormous bag of tortilla chips on Sunday and they were eyeballing me. No one let on to my mam that I had crisps for dinner, ok?

jjr1uvI.png

Horrible cold rainy weather, so we felt like something warming and hearty.
    Some of my Italian colleagues had recently told me about pasta e ceci, so I found a recipe and give it a try. It turned out a bit thicker than a soup, strictly speaking, but it was just soooo yummy and just the right thing.

Had it with some sourdough bread from Lidl (can't begin to describe how glad I am they have sourdough again!)

e21di.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've stumbled into food heaven, nachos and some sort of soupy pastay thing with bread. Yum!

I had a half tub of goats cheese and walnuts on rosemary crackers, two bars of chocolate, packet of salt and vinegar crisps, a flask of coffee and two toffee choc ricecakes. :o It was a picnic and it was cold so I just kept eating to keep the chills away. I have a food hangover this morning. Seriously, it's not fair to feel this tired and delicate after a night of no alcohol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement