Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Puzzle35 wrote: »
    I love eggs but just can't see how it fits in here, dish looks lovely otherwise.
    I thought the egg looks nice.
    Why don't you tell us what you had for dinner last night?

I made a gratin of salt cod and celery. Normally it's a traditional Lenten dish here but there was a good offer on salt cod and I've never cooked it before so I gave it a lash. It was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

had bacon and cabbage yesterday with some friends.
    Free range lightly cured bacon; parsley sauce; fried sweetheart cabbage with a dash of white wine; mash with finely sliced leeks.
    No pic but I have leftover bacon, chicken, parsley sauce and leeky mash - sounds like a potato topped pie for tonight:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Man I miss cooking at the moment, this thread is killing me and inspiring in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had planned to make duck a l'orange yesterday but our local butcher had no duck... we got some nice free range chicken breasts instead and had chicken a l'orange with egg fried rice.

Himself made the orange sauce and it was something of magic, partially because he didn't use a recipe and just made it up as he went along. Butter, shallots, fresh OJ, maple syrup and brandy reduced down until it went syrupy and sticky. We were practically licking our plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

When you guys say lamb rump, what cut exactly do you mean?

What i see sold as lamb rump comes from high on the back leg. Typically it is cut across several muscles and has a layer of fat on the outside. I cook it on the pan to crisp the skin then finish in the oven until it is pink. A 15 minute rest and its ready to serve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Had spicy Cajun salmon fillets baked in tinfoil with lemon and asparagus, and served with spicy couscous and a lemony glass of Hoegaarden. Delish. First time baking fish also - makes some change from a smelly kitchen after grilling or frying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Kangaroo pie with onion, carrot, peas and mushrooms. Served with a side of brussel sprouts fried with sweetcorn and semi sun dried tomatoes.

jShLdUO.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Steak, mushrooms, peas, broccoli, sautéed potatoes, mash and stir fried pak choi. 'Twas very delicious!

8ntnny.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Leftover carnita goodness. Reheated in a pan with some salsa and mixed with lots of guacamole and sour cream. Cheesy quasedilla used to insert into face. Only cure for a severe case of the Mondays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had Chicken and Pea Rissoto for dinner last night, as is the tradition when I have roast chicken the day before. Had some Cherry Tomatoes in the fridge that needed to be used up so I roasted them in the oven with some garlic for about 15 mins.

86pe2R.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Sirloin steak, steamed tendersteam broccoli served with a mix of chesnut mushrooms/red onions/smoked garlic/quinoa

1D80BCD5-C04A-44DA-BFF5-2E4EE9BD9E6A_zps50n5uacj.jpg

I also made Lemon Drizzle Cake from the Cooking Club. Those two slices weren't solely for me (although I obviously had the larger one on the right!)

74FBE785-B4E6-4517-8C63-F98DB3A4CC51_zpsqhb3e3pn.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had Chicken and Pea Rissoto for dinner last night, as is the tradition when I have roast chicken the day before. Had some Cherry Tomatoes in the fridge that needed to be used up so I roasted them in the oven with some garlic for about 15 mins.

Apologies for the silly question - but when you're making a risotto with leftovers, when do you add them in? Just before serving, or before you add in the stock?

Apologies for the silly question - but when you're making a risotto with leftovers, when do you add them in? Just before serving, or before you add in the stock?

Not a silly question at all.

I tend to take the leftovers (and frozen peas) out of the fridge well in advance to give them time to warm up so they don't reduce the temperature of the rice when added to the pot.

I add in all the extras just after the last ladle of stock goes in, although not straight after, wait until about half of the last ladle is absorbed.

Not a silly question at all.

I tend to take the leftovers (and frozen peas) out of the fridge well in advance to give them time to warm up so they don't reduce the temperature of the rice when added to the pot.

I add in all the extras just after the last ladle of stock goes in, although not straight after, wait until about half of the last ladle is absorbed.

Cool, that's kinda what i had thought - they need time to mesh in with the rice but you don't want them going mushy. Thanks a mill!!

Cool, that's kinda what i had thought - they need time to mesh in with the rice but you don't want them going mushy. Thanks a mill!!

Well the leftovers by there very nature are already cooked so you just need to heat them up, and the frozen peas are as good as cooked.

I think when it comes to making Risotto any additional ingredients need to be added in this way, as in, cooked separately and added at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Well the leftovers by there very nature are already cooked so you just need to heat them up, and the frozen peas are as good as cooked.

I think when it comes to making Risotto any additional ingredients need to be added in this way, as in, cooked separately and added at the end.

Same with paella. I'd always add my prawns, peas and precooked chicken at the end as all you want to do is warm them through really.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Reheated some beef and veg casserole that I made Saturday and had with some boiled potatoes....stews and casseroles taste so much better after a day or two and lovely comfort food for a Monday without the effort. Thoroughly enjoyed..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had huge bowls of slow cooked shin beef stew with lots of barley and veg, and floury potatoes soaking up all the stewy goodness.

It was a big stew so I have enough left over to freeze for another day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight's dinner was fried pork chops with gravy, onions and mushrooms, and mashed potatoes. Surprisingly warming and comforting :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Serloin steak,Onions and baby potatoes covered in real butter and salt,It was quick and delicious,As a single flat broke guy im very happy as i got a steak half the size of the plate for 3.50.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be meatballs, but when I got to the fridge, I discovered the pork mince was still frozen solid after 24 hours :rolleyes:. So take-out pad thai it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Tonight is 2 Salmon fillets from Lidl with Brocelli and baby potatoes and the last of the jar of seafood sauce that I bought for the xmas prawn cocktails ! Thank god its finally left the fridge !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So tonight is going to be boiled bacon, baby shpuds and a nice salad - iceberg lettuce, tomato, yellow pepper, cucumber, spring onion and radish (haven't decided what dressing I'll do yet, probably a balsamic style one), with some coleslaw :)

Most men would be looking at adult sites for their kicks....but im here... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Steak with a side salad of lettuce dressed with salt, olive oil & cider vinegar. Simple and divinely tasty!

sopretty wrote: »
    Steak with a side salad of lettuce dressed with salt, olive oil & cider vinegar. Simple and divinely tasty!

You are obviously female as Males never eat steak with a side salad ! Where's the chips ? Roast spuds ? Onions ? Mushrooms Batch Loaf ? :D

finix wrote: »
    You are obviously female as Males never eat steak with a side salad ! Where's the chips ? Roast spuds ? Onions ? Mushrooms Batch Loaf ? :D

Funnily enough, him indoors had boiled spuds (left over from yesterday), roasted mushrooms and brown bread and butter with his lol!

finix wrote: »

I agree with this stereo type,The first thing i wanted with mine tonight was bread and thats with baby potatoes...bahaha i fought the urge. ;)

You see, if I had had spudies with mine, then I wouldn't have been able to eat the full steak. So, I went for a full steak with my salad, rather than half a steak and a lock o' schpuds!

• Advertisement

sopretty wrote: »
    Funnily enough, him indoors had boiled spuds (left over from yesterday), roasted mushrooms and brown bread and butter with his lol!
    See ? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement