Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Chilli con carne, made with Uncle Bens hot Chili sauce and basmati rice, plus minced beef and an onion..... lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A tin of tomatoes, 1 tbsp tomato pureé, 2 tsp each of ground coriander & cumin, 1 tsp hot chilli powder makes a good basic chilli sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The Hairy Bikers chilli is my go-to. It's so easy and delicious.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/chilli-con-carne#aDvOMzUlvPbKwqYw.97

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Hairy Bikers chilli is my go-to. It's so easy and delicious.

http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/chilli-con-carne#aDvOMzUlvPbKwqYw.97

Mine too, although I add a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powder.

I occasionally crumble in a Cadbury's Flake just before I serve. Add a lovely tone to a chilli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had frittata with roasted sweet potato, sundried tomatoes and goat's cheese for dinner. With a big helping of fresh, crunchy salad.
    All so we could pretend it's sunny and warm outside rather than rainy and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Home made chips, griddled supreme of chicken and some salad made up of baby spinach, tomato, red onion and cucumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Nachos! A big plate, just with hot salsa and cheese. Accompanied by many beers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Slow cooker spicy beef meatball stew with butter beans and mash..

Was working all day Saturday, so had a lazy dinner from the chipper.

Sunday was slow-roasted rib of beef with roast potatoes & carrots, steamed garlicky green beans & onion gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Boiled bacon loin, cabbage (cooked in the bacon water), mash and home made parsley sauce.

Blackberry/raspberry Eton Mess for after :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We had some things to celebrate this weekend, so we had friends over for a barbecue on Saturday. We had an apero instead of starters with pickles, crudités, mini toasts with tarama and pâté etc. To drink, we had dry champagne and Clairette de Die (for people who prefer a sweeter fizz). Chipolatas and merguez on the barbecue served with tabbouleh for main course. Then someone brought a lovely creamy cake from the patisserie, I don't know what it's called but it had caramelized pears in it. Very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Nachos! A big plate, just with hot salsa and cheese. Accompanied by many beers

Me too! With jalapeños, guacamole and sour cream on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Spicy sticky cauliflower, corn on the cob and chips.

ic7ksg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Falafel platter with hummous, tabbouleh, pickles, & bread.

f6HBU2Z.jpg

Have gotten really, really bad at cooking at home the past few weeks. Drawing a line in the sand today *draws* and going to go buy groceries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Have gotten really, really bad at cooking at home the past few weeks. Drawing a line in the sand today *draws* and going to go buy groceries.

What's on the menu for tonight MissFlitworth??

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Was working all day Saturday, so had a lazy dinner from the chipper.

Sunday was slow-roasted rib of beef with roast potatoes & carrots, steamed garlicky green beans & onion gravy.

Very similar to this-But I roasted the beef (1.5kg for 1 hour and just turned off the oven until it cooled) Was really amazing-made a gravy with bisto (shame I know) but it was also beautiful.

brinty wrote: »
    What's on the menu for tonight MissFlitworth??

A whopper with cheese and ten-nuggets-for-€2.50 Made Nigella's mustard pork chops with gnocchi . Lidl have some lovely gnocchi in their XXL range at the moment :) Didn't manage to get a vegetable in their but at least I wasn't out atin' Happy Meals straight out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sea bass with salad potatoes and broccoli. First time I cooked that fish and it was nice.

I thinly sliced some of Sunday's leftover roast beef & fried it with minced ginger, birds eye chillies, Thai spices & honey (to help the caramelisation). Added a good splash of soy sauce at the end. I added this to a slaw of shredded Chinese cabbage, sugar snaps, scallions & cucumber to make a sticky, very spicy, slightly warm salad.

• Advertisement

A brioche burger bun & a Quorn southern fried chicken burger with red onion, tomato, Monterey Jack cheese and burger sauce served with some chips

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Simple open sandwich: toasted base (standard best of both style bread), cream cheese mixed with horseradish, pre-sliced roast beef from Lidl (surprisingly OK for prepacked cold meat, which I'm not a huge fan of) and topped of with finely sliced shallot which I quick pickled in some chianti vinegar for about 30 minutes.

Twas pretty delicious. Makes me want to buy that beef again to recreate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

A King Creole from KCs in Cork ;)

Rice, roast veggies (from a Lidl pre prepped tray. Back cooking but defo not back chopping 4 different type of veggies with my own fair maulers) & roast turkey breast. Day 2 of not being a wastrel take out addict, complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Pasta, Chicken, Chorizo, mushrooms, onion and Super Value Tomato Mascarpone pasta sauce, very nice indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken curry :)

I had chicken curry too, well "Punjabi Cashew Korma" from the Street Kitchen kits. Has anyone ever tried them? You get a marinade for the meat, then some dry spices that you toast in the pan before adding the meat, then a sauce. They're very tasty if you just want to whip up something really quick. The Bengali Beef Curry is my other favourite. Only complaint is that they're a bit stingy with the sauce...I like a nice saucy curry!

Street-Kitchen-shots1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I had chicken curry too, well "Punjabi Cashew Korma" from the Street Kitchen kits. Has anyone ever tried them? You get a marinade for the meat, then some dry spices that you toast in the pan before adding the meat, then a sauce. They're very tasty if you just want to whip up something really quick. The Bengali Beef Curry is my other favourite. Only complaint is that they're a bit stingy with the sauce...I like a nice saucy curry!

I tried that Korma one the other day. I thought it was awful. It was really sour or something. I was so disappointed because it smelled gorgeous.

I tried that Korma one the other day. I thought it was awful. It was really sour or something. I was so disappointed because it smelled gorgeous.

Oh that's a pity. I'm usually not a fan of korma but I really enjoyed it! Did you add the yoghurt at the end? I didn't bother with that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh that's a pity. I'm usually not a fan of korma but I really enjoyed it! Did you add the yoghurt at the end? I didn't bother with that...

Didn't bother either. It was worth a try anyway!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement