Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

We had Chicken Supreme (using a Knorr sauce) it was delicious indeed, served with basmati rice. Basically, its chicken pieces, onion and mushrooms plus the Knorr sauce, could not recommend highly enough so tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A big bowl of tempura courgette, baby corn, and prawns, and miso soup. Baby corn does not tempura well, but everything else was delicious.

image.jpg1_zpsxl4lk9lr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Marinated and roasted vegatable and paneer shashlik, with a bit of salad.

2928uwg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm a man who eats his dinner in the middle of the day so I'd call this 'tea' but whatever.

I had Cantonese style duck with fried rice, along with onion rings and various other bits and pieces. We had a voucher for the Chinese we had to use in its entirety...

We had Aldi pepper streak and a salad of rocket, sweetcorn, scallions, tomatoes and beetroot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had a Lidl Hereford beef joint, so yesterday I put it into the slow cooker for the afternoon with a mug of stock and some sliced carrots, onions and celery. I strained the stock when it was cooked and put the onions back in, then reduced it in a pot, added a dash of Worcestershire sauce, a squirt of ketchup and salt & pepper. It was still a bit thin so I thickened it with cornflour. It was the nicest gravy ever. We had it with roast potatoes and cabbage - I love cabbage with beef.

245awc9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Those roasties look the biz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Yeah DB, those are some seriously winning roasties! We had a NOOOooooOOoo experience with some 'duck fat' (aka deep fried from frozen & nasty) roasties when we brought visitors out for dinner on Saturday. Makes you really appreciate the good ones!

Our visitors were from (way) up North and brought us over moose, reindeer shanks & reindeer meet shavings (for finnbiff) so last night we had braised reindeer shanks, a Scandinavian style creamy gravy and roast baby potatoes, carrots and shallots. Followed by apple cake and vanilla ice cream.

XYXs1ZT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Roast pork with chilli jam skin,with the trimmings .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Plated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

I made what my mother (who does not use any bad language) describes as a "sh1t dinner" Using up the leftovers.
    Had chicken wings to use up along with some veg so made a stew with onion, pepper, courgette and potato. Added a tin of tomato and a dash of hot pepper sauce. Dumplings.

Not tasted it myself yet but the landlady assures me it is lovely*

*The landlady may just be trying to please me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made chilli con carne tonight and decided to go the extra mile so I made Shenshen's cheesy refried beans. They were sooo good we ate the lot with a bag of tortilla chips, as well as the chilli.
    No photos because we had visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A one tray dinner tonight. Butterflied a chicken breast, drizzle of oil, lots of salt and pepper topped with diced chorizo and crumbled goats cheese. Other half of the tray was half a head of brocolli lightly oiled and a sprinkle of chili flakes.

I'm low carbing (desperate times in advance of a holiday hahah :D ) at the moment so this sorted me out nicely without sacrificing the flavour.

Roast chicken thighs, itty bitty baked potatoes with salty 'jackets' (not sure you can rightly call skin that thin a jacket but, sure, there're no baked potato nazis round these parts :D) carrots and wilted spinach. Was everyone else aware of the awesomeness that is roasting vegetables under your meat and then blending them & the meat juices with stock to make gravy? Because I had never done it before and it was so lovely.

We had apple cake to finish. Note the beautiful caramelised top :D

W3WYlZM.jpg
    w7cB7UE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Last night of our hols :(, more tapas dishes.....

Provalone cheese, sprinkled with oregano and microwaved 'till melted, served with toast
    7C114C39-01FB-46E3-B017-D42CCB2AEDF1_zpsugy96qbq.jpg

Baby eels, fried with onions, prawns and chilli, fried egg on top
    17958147-6CE3-44EB-9569-048EED5F1DC3_zps19mv1emb.jpg

Baby broad beans fried with chilli and egg on top (got the photo just as they were starting to chop up the egg)
    9C24440F-0D49-4A86-85B3-627F58C9C645_zpsts5zqe7g.jpg

Roast chicken thighs, itty bitty baked potatoes with salty 'jackets' (not sure you can rightly call skin that thin a jacket but, sure, there're no baked potato nazis round these parts :D) carrots and wilted spinach. Was everyone else aware of the awesomeness that is roasting vegetables under your meat and then blending them & the meat juices with stock to make gravy? Because I had never done it before and it was so lovely.

We had apple cake to finish. Note the beautiful caramelised top :D

That looks delicious, how long did you cook the chicken for and did you brown it first?

We had stir fry, chicken, sugarsnap peas, sweetcorn, peas, red onion, red pepper and shaved carrot, plus Amoy Peanut stir fry sauce and fresh Aldi noodles, delicious.

So sorry I cannot take photos, I have no camera on my phone.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    That looks delicious, how long did you cook the chicken for and did you brown it first?

Not 100% sure on times, sorry! I wasn't paying attention. It was around half an hour in our oven with a dodge temperature gauge, took them out when they were at around 160 degrees and then browned them in bacon fat in a pan before serving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Monday was boiled new potatoes with butter, poached eggs, grilled mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and grilled bacon.

Tonight was a butcher-made cheese burger with spinach, cucumber, red onion, baby spinach, tomato, cheese and grilled bacon in an Aldi brioche bun. Delicious. Haven't had it in ages and will be a while before I have it again.

Lazy dinner - Lidl chicken & ham pie, roast root vegetable tray & potato gratin. Veggies good, gratin grand, pie basically a white sauce pasty. But many thumbs up to the lack of prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Had some leftovers, so I made couscous patties with roasted garlic and rosemary sweet potato wedges.
    Tasty, but a bit boring to look at, so no photo ;)

Homemade Cottage pie and marrowfat peas. It was o.k. I bought the Aldi mince that was on special offer for 3 euros but to be hones it was not the tastiest I should have gone for round steak mince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Homemade Cottage pie and marrowfat peas. It was o.k. I bought the Aldi mince that was on special offer for 3 euros but to be hones it was not the tastiest I should have gone for round steak mince.

What spices/herbs did you use?

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    What spices/herbs did you use?

I have to confess....
    I used the Aldi preprepared Shepards Pie powder
    some Worcestershire sauce
    and a spoonful of Harissa.
    Fresh Garlic
    and an onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I bought the Aldi mince that was on special offer for 3 euros but to be hones it was not the tastiest I should have gone for round steak mince.

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that because it's more expensive, it will taste better. To my palate round steak has the least flavour of any cut of beef - dry and cardboardy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I have to confess....
    I used the Aldi preprepared Shepards Pie powder
    some Worcestershire sauce
    and a spoonful of Harissa.
    Fresh Garlic
    and an onion.

Ha! You know where you went wrong so ;)

Try this next time. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm having trouble looking at that dish of baby eels every time the page is refreshed... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight boiled new potatoes, grilled tomatoes, grilled bacon and poached eggs.

Grocery shopping tomorrow, hurrah happy-dancing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Lamb chopses tonight, with baby spuds and coriander and erm.. marrowfat peas. Had them on my mind all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm having trouble looking at that dish of baby eels every time the page is refreshed... :o

When in Spain....

In the supermarket meat section a vacuum-packed whole baby pig had my daughter in tears. She wanted me to buy it so we could bury it....

..... Driving home we passed a animal transport truck full of pigs. 'They're all going to die!' and promptly burst into tears again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement