Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Got to go to an early Swiss Day celebration. A couple of different types of bratwurst, gruyere,toggenburger & vacherin cheese, nice bread. Then a plate of raclette with pickles (from Edelwise in Ranelagh. Stuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When in Spain....

In the supermarket meat section a vacuum-packed whole baby pig had my daughter in tears. She wanted me to buy it so we could bury it....
    n!

That's the funniest and sweetest thing I've heard in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Chicken wings with Franks Hot sauce and egg salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

That's the funniest and sweetest thing I've heard in ages!

Reminds of a past life with the ex landlady. They had a farm and it was lambing season.

She had a little brother who witnessed his 1st lamb being born, the sheep was in distress to say the least.

He proceeded to abuse the poor sheep, informing her, in no uncertain terms, that she was not to eat that lamb again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Nothing to do with above but tonight we had vegetarian lasagne. The magic ingredient was anchovies. Unbelievably tasty :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aubergine and chickpea stew with dried lime, brown rice and a kinda broad bean pesto thing with tomato, shallot, garlic, fresh marjoram, lemon juice and olive oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

^ Nothing to do with above but tonight we had vegetarian lasagne. The magic ingredient was anchovies. Unbelievably tasty :rolleyes:

Anchovies aren't vegetarian :D

I had a sweet potato and pinto bean stew. Loads of smoked paprika and chilli in there. I ate it in a wrap with feta and a side of sour cream. It was one if those things that was thrown together but actually worked really well.
    Have some in the fridge for lunch tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Chicken/Chorizo/Onions/Mushrooms with Super Valu Tomato & Mascarpone Sauce plus pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pancakes stuffed with creamy mushrooms, covered in cottage cheese and baked till crisp.

Not healthy, not quick, not particularly nice to look at, but very yummy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I made crispy duck eggs with asparagus and bacon.

IMG_6300%20copy_zpsq3bkpnsi.jpg

Next time I make them (which will probably be tonight 'cause it was delish) I'll cook the duck eggs for a min longer.

• Advertisement

They look brilliant! Are they hard to do?

Do duck eggs taste much different to chicken eggs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Whispered wrote: »
    They look brilliant! Are they hard to do?

Do duck eggs taste much different to chicken eggs?

They are finicky. What I did was:

1. Boil the eggs for 5 mins (I'll do 6 mins next time)
    2. Put them in cold water and left them to cool.
    3. Peeled the eggs (pain in the hole and if anyone has an easy way to do it let me know)
    4. Dip the eggs in flour, then beaten egg and then breadcrumbs and put in the fridge for an hour.
    5. Heat oil to 180c and take the eggs out of the fridge and dip again in breadcrumbs.
    6. Fry until golden brown.

TBH I didn't notice a huge difference in the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I find peeling the eggs hot makes it far easier, especially the bluey/green hens eggs. So boil the eggs for whatever length of time, then straight into cold water for 30/40 seconds and then peel them. I always start from the fast end of the egg and peel towards the pointy end too.
    Duck eggs have a thicker membrane under the shell too so it's easier to smash the egg a bit all over and then peel membrane and shell together.

That just made me sound like some sort of egg weirdo didn't it. :D

Looks delicious by the way!

An eggspert?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Oh. I've got a couple of anchovy bushes in the garden, next to the spaghetti tree :)

They are in our house! Unless your vegan then vegetarians eat fish, right! :ro ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

They are in our house! Unless your vegan then vegetarians eat fish, right! :ro ;)

Vegetarians aren't vegetarian either :p

I'm guilty of making 90% vegetable dishes with a few pancetta chunks or chopped anchovies thrown in, all the time. Luckily there are no actual vegetarians I'm catering for.

I've been a lurker in this thread for a while - dinner inspo ;) Last night I made pork schnitzels with paprika sour cream sauce and grilled corn on the cob, with a green salad.

I'd be laughing harder if I hadn't recently ended up in a few restaurants that actually seemed to believe that! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Made shrimp tacos tonight with all the trimmings.

I marinated the prawns in salt, lime juice and chilli, then coated in a batter of flour, sparkling water, garlic, salt and egg yolk, and deep fried.

Not gonna lie, the whole meal was off the charts good.

opoa5s.jpg

Had Chili con carne, made with Uncle Bens, really love that sauce (I know its easy to make your own!) but added some roasted sweet peppers, yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Kovu wrote: »
    I find peeling the eggs hot makes it far easier, especially the bluey/green hens eggs. So boil the eggs for whatever length of time, then straight into cold water for 30/40 seconds and then peel them. I always start from the fast end of the egg and peel towards the pointy end too.
    Duck eggs have a thicker membrane under the shell too so it's easier to smash the egg a bit all over and then peel membrane and shell together.

That just made me sound like some sort of egg weirdo didn't it. :D

Looks delicious by the way!

All of the above and cool them down in water enough to be able to peel them without burning. And then tap the egg on the counter, and gently roll so the egg cracks all around. Under running water then peel. Once you get under the membrane the shell should slide off easily with it.

Linguine with fried garlic and chilis in olive oil, with one of those goats cheese foccaccia slices from Lidl.

Love the inspiration you get from this thread......

Thanks to Mystery Egg we had Prawn Tampura with Asian Coleslaw and siracha yogurt dressing in a wrap.

7A9066A9-1B8C-41F1-8C3F-956B8A3BA4F3_zpskgylr5cb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Love the inspiration you get from this thread....../QUOTE]

Looks amazing. Only came across Asian Coleslaw recently in Ukraine. Absolutely lovely. Where do you get it here? Or do you make yourself?

Makood wrote: »
    Looks amazing. Only came across Asian Coleslaw recently in Ukraine. Absolutely lovely. Where do you get it here or do you make yourself?

Really simple to make yourself.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1684/asian-slaw

I also added some chopped coriander....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Went to featherblade tonight, can't post pics on mobile but it was delish. Had seabass ceviche to start and the sharing steak, stuffed to the gills! We also surfed it up with prawns, sides of chips and spinach

We had Aldi Chicken Kiev (the one on the muscle) plus sweetcorn, beetroot, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, rocket, coleslaw and potato salad. yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Vegetarian nachos (using the dreaded Quorn mince), beans, white cheddar, jalapeños, and natural yogurt in place of the sour cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Finbiff - reindeer, mushrooms & bacon in a cream sauce with juniper berries. Served on ferry creamy mash. Crippelt afterwards, ate too much. Might save our second bag of reindeer shavings till Winter but it is delightful.

9DKfy8S.jpg

• Advertisement

We had beef stroganoff and brown basmati rice. Very nice, I used the Erin powder mix and added peppers and mushrooms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement