Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Home cooked pizza with tomato & mascarpone sauce, mozzarella, basil, red peppers and mushroom.

212fs7t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

A bastardised rendang chicken curry, was very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Leftover roast chicken in a garlic wrap with mixed greens, and a "middle eastern" yogurt sauce (natural yogurt, preserved lemon, za'atar seasoning, chilli)

Would definitely make the sauce again, it was pretty delicious with the meat/salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Aldi duck breast and a salad (beetroot, sweetcorn, spring onion, rocket, cherry tomatoes, roasted pepper, coleslaw and potato salad) yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast beef (cooked a couple of shades too much, dagnabbit), beef dripping roasties, yorkshire puddings and carrots. Just out of shot - awfully good gravy made from the pan juices, veggies that roasted under the beef, stock & beer.

FvqQrTJ.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was everyone else aware of the awesomeness that is roasting vegetables under your meat and then blending them & the meat juices with stock to make gravy? Because I had never done it before and it was so lovely.
    ]

I loved the idea of this but when I've done it I've found the gravy the resemble vegetable soup a bit too much for my liking.

I loved the idea of this but when I've done it I've found the gravy the resemble vegetable soup a bit too much for my liking.

It definitely was vegetable soup (or, to be honest, baby food) initially. Had to thin it out a lot, hence the beer and a hape of time spent over the hob going 'hmmmm....' :) Definitely fewer carrots next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Black bean burritos last night - black bean stew, lime and corinader rice, chopped veg, cheese and sour cream. Very nice and very very messy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It definitely was vegetable soup (or, to be honest, baby food) initially. Had to thin it out a lot, hence the beer and a hape of time spent over the hob going 'hmmmm....' :) Definitely fewer carrots next time.

Put it through a sieve to get rid of the gluppiness.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bolognese_with_21188

Spaghetti Bolognaise - Well actually taglatelle with bolognaise (which is how it should be or at least linguine according to mrs gucci!) its been a long time since I actually made one without sticking to a traditional recipe, sometimes I just use beef and often a few chillis or mushrooms sneak in there.

This was a big hit with 4 adults and 2 children who were literally licking the plates, and it was dead easy to make.

It didnt have any celery or onion in it, so maybe it isn't fully authentic....but we were all happy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I made pulled pork tacos with grilled pineapple and two different salsas. Avocado tomatillo salsa and then a salsa roja with the Carolina Reaper chills. I must have got duds because while it was hot it wasn't anything exciting. The picture turned out a bit crappy.

IMG_6325-2%20copy_zpsmkn8n7pf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Last night was Lasanga with garlic bread. The night before was fresh calamari with sides of lemon & parmesan linguine and salad.

Was Swiss National Day yesterday so we went harrassing Swiss relatives for fondue (Neuchâtel type - Gruyère and Emmental) with loads of homemade bread. Can't look cheese in the face for a while but it was very, very lovely.

QbfoMtG.jpg?2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Home cooked pizza with tomato & mascarpone sauce, mozzarella, basil, red peppers and mushroom.

I'm stealing this idea! I always find my home made pizza sauce way too tomato-y :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Was Swiss National Day yesterday so we went harrassing Swiss relatives for fondue (Neuchâtel type - Gruyère and Emmental) with loads of homemade bread. Can't look cheese in the face for a while but it was very, very lovely.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Swiss fondue, but their flag is a big plus :P BOOM!

I had green bean, pea and edamame lasagna the other night. Inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe but with a cheesy white sauce, rather than cream. Tasty and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

A good dollop of gravy browning as well, makes it look the part;)

Last night: Haddock and spuds with salad.
    Tonight: Chicken with coleslaw, salad , spuds (or chips?) and mushy peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Poverty week has come a bit too soon.

Yesterday trusty pasta with chilli sauce, meatballs and homemade foccatia.

Today, homemade taco chips.

Wholewheat pasta, Aldi Speciality Chili sauce, Mince and onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh woops, didn't realise I forgot to delete the photo from my last post - sowwy Faith! :o

Tonight it's a "one I made earlier" special. Day old chilli with all the good bits - guacamole, sour cream, tortilla chips and cheese. Nachos day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We had tacos last night. All the trimmings too. Very tasty. I bought those stand and stuff tacos that I thought would be a bit of a gimicky thing but we really enjoyed them.

Then early dinner today of pesto mash, herby beans and tomato poached egg. Plates licked clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MattyDoo

Just a simple sandwich tonight! Toasted Ciabatta with Arbroath salmon, tartare sauce l, little bit of feta and lettuce! Had it with a sweet cider for a contrast!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Home made burgers on Aldi's brioche buns with cheese, onions and ketchup, with sweet potato fries. I bought a bag of frozen sp fries from Tesco and deep fried them. They were the real deal. :pac: Proper Friday night chow, with a cold beer on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Bbq here tonight, the usual suspects of sausages, chicken kebabs and turkey burgers. Have some steaks for the bbq tomorrow

Home made lamb stew in slow cooker. Turned out very nice, potatoes, onions, carrots, turnip, soup mix, and veg stock cube. I also added a teaspoon of harissa.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Fish pie last night.

mlgjs1.jpg

knfw9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Went out for a friends birthday last night. We went for tapas in mimosa Carlow. It was lovely.

I had scallops au grattin with crispy garlicky panchetta.

And monkfish and kangaroo skewers.

For desert a baked Alaska with a brownie base and I chose coconut ice cream.

We all shared our dishes so others got:

Chorizo and beef sliders
    Garlic prawns
    Feta dumplings
    Pulled pork
    Mushroom aranchini
    Spicey salmon darne
    Seared duck breast with pickled cabbage
    Gnocchi with chorizo.

Desserts were:
    Baked Alaska again but with chocolate ice cream
    Grilled strawberry and marshmallow skewers
    Churros with salted caramel and chocolate dips
    Mini cheese board

It was divine as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Had an unplanned BBQ-Because of the weather ended up cooking inside.
    Aldi Burgers.
    Slow cooked beef that just didn't work out but was still just about ok
    Marinaded chicken wings
    Spud salad, coleslaw and an apple and celery salad.

Bill Grainger's duck with plums. Beautiful dish, we will make this again.

168y9w2.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Went to Richmond yesterday to try out their brunch menu. Got the Honey & Soy pulled pork belly, celeriac & wholegrain mustard.

IMG_6354-3%20copy_zpscfzzf3er.jpg

Tonight I made myself the cooking clubs buttermilk chicken, creamed spinach, honey roasted carrots and roast potatoes.

IMG_6370%20copy_zpsnp00zah2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement