Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

After midnight so officially "last night dinner", Meatballs with mushroom, pepper and cream sauce.

That's a stuffed mushroom on the side BTW. But the sauce was most definitely the star of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I've had cottage pie slow cooking all day. I have potato and turnip mash on top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Carnitas. We're all about the Mexican food this summer.

I am also into pickling radishes at the moment, cos they're dirt cheap. Pickled radishes are nicely crisp and tangy in a burrito. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had goulash from the cooking club with creamy mash....soooo good for an autumnal night :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Giant yorkshire puddings! Accompanied by rib roast, peas and gravy.

16liwjb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Roasted squash (roasted with garlic and rosemary) which was then made folded into a simple risotto.

Pizza and salad.

Pizza was chicken and chorizo.

Salad was a mish-mash of what was left in the fridge: carrots (grated), shredded scallions, roasted peppers and squash (cold), sliced pickled radishes and some crushed nuts for crunch, with a dressing of mustard, maple syrup, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper.

Eaten while watching Michael Pollan's fantastic food documentary series, Cooked. It's really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday was homemade meatballs with mash & scallion & tomato gravy.

Tonight was chicken katsu curry with sticky rice, & spicy steamed cabbage & beans. Fragrant!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yesterday, I made pizzas with mushrooms, onions, peppers, olives and sweetcorn. And lots of jalapenos for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Oops - I forgot about Friday...

Mrs B & The Kids wore me down & I caved in. I had homemade pizza - chorizo, salami & onions with mozzarella & basil. It was bloody gorgeous! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Friday we went out for dinner and hit Terra Madre in Dublin City Centre. It was 'have a little weep for yourself' good. Lovely, tiny, casual, mad Sicilian café-a-mabob. We started with toasted bread, oil & salt, then I had burrata with anchovies & various pickles and the other side of the table had a pancetta carpaccio thing. I had ravioli del plin (little pinchy ones) with truffle & cheese fondue & he had gnocchi with bunny ragu. We couldn't face a meat course (stuffed) so moved directly on to dessert - panna cotta with caramel & espressos. And two lovely glasses of Montepulciano from the owner's friend's vineyard. Highly recommend, it's luffly.

Saturday was Mammy dinner, ham, cabaiste, baby potatoes. Sunday was a sort of chicken & ham casserole thing I bodged together. Friday won.

Had a bit of a rough day so I was in need of comfort food.

Boiled up carrots, turnip and potato, mashed them together and smothered it in gravy and a side of roasted parmesan broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Snap-ish

Chicken goujons, sweet potato and carrot mash with Brocolli.

2844B7C1-4FF0-45ED-9A94-2714D5D73A7C_zps3mpp2p4h.jpg

pew wrote: »
    Had a bit of a rough day so I was in need of comfort food.

Boiled up carrots, turnip and potato, mashed them together and smothered it in gravy and a side of roasted parmesan broccoli.

How do you make the roasted parmesan borccoli?

We had simple fare, as I wanted to make the most of the lovely weather when I got home and went cycling for 2 hours.
    We had potato salad (German, without mayonnaise), corn on the cob and quorn southern style burgers.

Shenshen wrote: »
    How do you make the roasted parmesan borccoli?

blanched some broccoli then threw it in the oven 20 mins with garlic then for the last 5 mins sprinkled parmesean on it.

My oven is unbeliveably crap, i need to put it on the highest setting for anything to cook in (and thats after leaving it for 30 minutes to heat up -_-)

A variation on this: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014175-japanese-burgers-with-wasabi-ketchup

I added some ginger to the ketchup. It l paired pretty well with the burger, it must be said. It was all beef on this occasion instead of beef/pork

I've got a beef stew with root veg and a rich gravy on the go in the slow cooker at home and I 'm sitting here at my desk all day dreaming about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I'm day dreaming about my dinner too, egg. I prepped it last night while I was doing last nights so have it all ready to go - Roast chicken with roasties, Bazmo's stuffing balls, sugar snap peas and turnip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some sweet chilli roast ham, it was so tasty!

Left over mash from yesterday with pork chops and shiracha sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We had sweet potato wedges, cream cheese and nutmeg spinach, potato salad and the two gentlemen had salmon fillets while I had a nut cutlet.

As an aside, I try my best to buy local which means the two salmon fillets came from the butcher. I don't buy fresh fish very often and today I remembered why. €8 for two salmon fillets is just too expensive for one meal for our income. Is there any way to source fish a bit cheaper without buying frozen fillets from a supermarket?

Whispered wrote: »
    We had sweet potato wedges, cream cheese and nutmeg spinach, potato salad and the two gentlemen had salmon fillets while I had a nut cutlet.

As an aside, I try my best to buy local which means the two salmon fillets came from the butcher. I don't buy fresh fish very often and today I remembered why. €8 for two salmon fillets is just too expensive for one meal for our income. Is there any way to source fish a bit cheaper without buying frozen fillets from a supermarket?

I know some of the fish shops along Howth Harbour sometimes sell whole salmon for silly money - €10.00 IIRC. You have to fillet and scale it yourself though. The last time I bought a whole filleted and scaled salmon it was nearly €30.00

You live near any fishing villages?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No I'm in Kildare :)
    I know nothing about fish, at all. I think if I bought a whole one I'd end up wasting loads with my attempts to fillet it!

Whispered wrote: »
    No I'm in Kildare :)
    I know nothing about fish, at all. I think if I bought a whole one I'd end up wasting loads with my attempts to fillet it!

For those that do not know, there's always YouTube! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MS Brinty had roast belly of pork made..
    I had with it with some pasta,butter and garlic salt
    Soooooooooo good

Raided Lidl's Greek week stuff and had a salad of baby spinach, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, and kalamata olives with a lemon/olive oil/oregano dressing with some stuffed vine leaves.

Lentil and bean chili, rice, guacamole, sour cream and cheddar.

I think the English language needs a word for that happy, satisfied, comfortable full-belly feeling that you have after food that was just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Sausages chips and beans.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think the English language needs a word for that happy, satisfied, comfortable full-belly feeling that you have after food that was just right.

Sated? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Sweet & Sour Chicken and, because Mrs G! is out and I'm a soft touch, chips.
    [/URL]

Recipe please?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement