Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had Punjabi chana, a creamy chickpea curry, with some mango chutney and pitta. I got the spice mix from my local Asian supermarket and wowsa it was spicy. Blew my head off so it did. Literally. I'm now a decapitated corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

That all sounds gorgeous Mystery Egg. Do you know the name of the spice mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Sated? ;)

Close, but the word just doesn't sound happy enough :D

We had pasta with a sour cream, leek, mushroom and broccoli sauce.
    It would probably send most Italians into apoplexy, but it is one of my favourite pasta dishes of all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Some sweet chilli roast ham, it was so tasty!
    ROAST HAM! Crap! You are just after reminding me that I forgot to put ham in the soup. Ive been batch cooking like a demon for the last few days and I made some sweet potato & coconut soup. Some ham is supposed to go into it at the end. Ahh well it is still tasty and now frozen in the freezer.

A yahoo to stay on topic: Dinner yesterday was lamb steaks with salad (baby gem, tomato, cheese, cucumber, peppers, coleslaw & potato salad) and some garlic bread on the side.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    That all sounds gorgeous Mystery Egg. Do you know the name of the spice mix?

I think the brand was National. I will check the box when I get home. Each box contains enough to make it four times for 3-4 people.

Edited to add: Google helped me. It was this brand:

national_punjchhole_c.jpg

We added an extra tomato and some water to improve the consistency and reduce the heat a touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Shenshen wrote: »
    Close, but the word just doesn't sound happy enough :D

Would "satiated" do it for you?

Here's one definition:

"Satiate​"

"To completely satisfy yourself or a need, especially with food or pleasure, so that you could not have any more."

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/satiate

I could live without the split infinitive, but I don't see it as a capital offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Moose-meat burgers in brioche buns with Jarlsberg. Dog was giving my dinner the hairy eyeball (he's an elkhound and believes all moose is his) so I devoured it before there was time for a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Shenshen wrote: »
    How did you make the almonds?
    I'm asking because I have fond childhood memories of my parents making "smoked almonds" - but I'm not sure I can get the ingredients here.

So sorry, only spotted this now. The recipe serves four and suggests:

30g butter
    75g flaked almonds
    1 tbsp caster sugar.

Melt the butter in a small frying pan on a medium-low heat until sizzling, then stir in the nuts and fry gently, stirring constantly until they turn light golden. Stir in the sugar, take off the heat and season with a pinch of salt (add enough to achieve a good sweet and salty balance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Home style surf'n'turf. Fillet steaks with a dollop of pepper sauce. Prawns fried in butter, garlic, chili and finished with lime juice. We had it with baby potatoes sliced in to skinny fries, par boiled and then finished off in the air fryer with a rake of salt. Can you tell it's payday in this house? :pac:

Shared a kinder Bueno between us for dessert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Being international burger day I was more blown away by my homemade oven chips

Mcec0Cn.jpg?1

International Burger Day???? Nobody told me!!!!!!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

International Burger Day???? Nobody told me!!!!!!!! :(

I knew about it but couldn't get a burger. Instead I will treat myself tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm currently cooking a pile of mushrooms and a bit of garlic in butter, will toss them in parsley and lemon juice then melt some cheddar on top and have in a brioche bun with lashings of heinz mayo.

I will raise a glass of pinotage to national burger day. I just found out about it but it suddenly justifies the fact that this is my second burger bun sandwich of the day, so I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Last night was a giant taco, of sorts. Full size garlic wrap, with slow cooked fajita beef, veg and cheese, folded in half in the George foreman. Once the outside was crispy, opened it up and fired in lettuce, sour cream and hot sauce. Pretty tasty!

Salads for dinner. Rocket with avocado and pomegranate, dressed with lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper. Tomato salad with balsamic vinegar on ciabatta toast, and the delicious chicken salad from the cooking club.

2nbdc2r.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

That chicken salad looks class, must try it out some time!

I got up late and had a late breakfast and then lunch so I wasn't really hungry for a full dinner but was hungry for something. I made an oat and chia seed pudding with chocolate coconut 'milk' and hazelnut 'milk' topped with strawberries and roasted hazelnuts. Probably more suited to a the WIHFbreakfast thread or desserts thread but man was it delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I made sauteed cabbage with roasted garlic with trn up honey ham and chillied carrots and turnip.

My first attempt at making a tian, the top is potatoes, butternut squash and tomatoes, with a base of lentil stew :

vimyk7.jpg

bi6p1s.jpg

• Advertisement

Ravioli (Aldi- spinach & ricotta and butternut squash & sage - both yummy but the bns one was the winner) with a very simple tomato/olive oil/basil/garlic sauce and loads of greated parmesan

ByZ6jmB.png

Very lovely. Very filling also, I bought 2 packs because of ye olde rule of 'one is too little, two is too many but you'll have a scabby plate of misery unless you go for two' but I actually think we'd have been ok with a pack between us.

I love the Aldi ravioli/triangloni stuff. The butternut squash one is my fave, really like the aubergine one too. Makes for a very quick lunch.

Last night I decided to try a salmon & veg parcel and I'm surprised how well it worked. I used frozen salmon (on offer in tesco at the moment for 7.99 for 6 fillets. Although I am not able to understand how wild Alaskan salmon has "product of China" stamped on it. Which just further justifies me spending silly money in the butchers. Lesson learned!)

So anyway, grease proof paper brushed with a tiny bit of olive oil and sprinkled with dry parsley, layer of thinly sliced potatoes, fish, layer of fresh parsley, slices lemon, handful frozen broccoli and cauliflower all sealed up and baked for about 30 mins.

I did my own with a quorn fillet which is supposed to be done in a sauce apparently but stayed moist and very tasty.

It was so handy and I'll definitely be trying it again with different flavours.

Roast chicken, sweet potatoes with chili & goats cheese, courgettes with olive oil, lemon & black pepper

Tomato and mascarpone meatball and pasta bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I've been using cabbage all week.

Monday was roasted cabbage wedges with a turkey steak

Tuesday was cabbage parcels

Today is garlic cabbage, grilled hallomi and cauliflower and turkey mince.

Trying to be healthy....

^ Ha! My kids won't touch cabbage so tonight we had the King of Dinners with brocolli instead!

ED927A44-21ED-422E-A9C9-5BDF4B96E4C4_zpsla8hu8b4.jpg

We had spinach and feta cheese curry (feta instead of paneer works pretty well) and a green lentil curry. Both very lazily thrown together with various herbs and spices so not approaching anything like an authentic Indian dish. Tasty none the less with garlic naan and basmati rice.

Working very late today, so dinner was a grilled wrap filled with roasted vegetables and halloumi.

And I've enough left for another one for lunch tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Chicken and bacon turnovers. They were really simple and a hit with the kids.

I fried some chicken and one of those little packet of bacon bits from Lidl. Separately I mixed some cream cheese, a bit of wholegrain mustard and some fresh chopped chives together. Added the chicken and bacon and a small tin of sweetcorn. Placed into shop bought ready rolled puff pastry, glazed with beaten egg and placed in the oven for 20 minutes. Served with homemade chips sprinkled with paprika.

Delish. Forgot to take a pic

• Advertisement

Last night we had a pretty fab lasagna. I made the ragu the day before and let it simmer for 3 hours. I made it with 750g of minced beef and 400g of good pork sausages, crumbled into the beef, which made a huge difference to the flavour. Lots of fresh basil and 3 kinds of cheese and it was a real winner.

With it we had a mixed leaf salad with avocado and tomatoes, coleslaw and garlic bread, with almond and raspberry cake with cream for dessert.

Tonight we had salmon baked with a maple and mustard dressing, with buttery boiled baby potatoes and carrots. Very simple and nice. More of yesterday's cake, too. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement