Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We gave the new Indian takeaway that has opened just down our street a try - mutter paneer, veg korma, peshwari naan and plenty of poppadums. Very satifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Chicken breast with a mushroom sauce, a selection of veg, and chips.

Doing duck this evening in a honey and soya sauce and rice. Not sure what veg to serve with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Miaireland wrote: »
    Chicken breast with a mushroom sauce, a selection of veg, and chips.

Doing duck this evening in a honey and soya sauce and rice. Not sure what veg to serve with it.

It's Friday, veg are optional on Fridays. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Quick and simple Rib eye steak with linguini carbonara (Paolo Tullio's recipe but without the lardons).

30139427266_306be2935a_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

to me thats a strange combo,does it work?

• Advertisement

to me thats a strange combo,does it work?

It is and it does!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Had some squash to use, and a block of Kasseri cheese lingering in the back of my fridge from Lidl's Greek week. I found some lamb mince in Dunnes on sale and was pondering what to do for dinner. Came across this recipie which combined all 3 and it was delicious. The roasted squash paired really well with the nuttiness of the lamb and the chilli/cumin/cinnamon spices in the tomato sauce. Made a few tweaks: I stuck it under the grill to melt the cheese on top, left out the fresh coriander as I didn't have any to hand, added a couple of dashes of Worcester sauce, oregano and a smaller amount of stock to the tomato, used plain white pasta and roasted the squash with some rosemary for some extra flavour.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/multi-grain-pasta-with-butternut-squash-ground-lamb-and-kasseri

Pic is pre-grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Friday I made pizza with parma ham, artichokes, onion & chilli.

Saturday was stuffed pork loin with a garam masala, cumin & coriander rub, with roasted red onions, peppers & baby spud sprinkled with a similar spice mix.

Yesterday myself & HB Jr I had a bash at making Gyoza. Pleating the wrappers was a pain in the ass, but they turned out great! Served with a soy, rice vinegar & chilli dipping sauce & sticky rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Was in the homeland again for a few weeks. Many different dishes but the most memorable was a streetfood called Chebureki (Чебуреки). A huge deep-fried ravioli is the best description I could give of it. Maybe even a deep-fried Cornish pastie. I could eat them all day.

Had brains another day in a Georgian place-Wasn't bad at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Slow cooker brisket with carrots (which I peeled and left whole at the bottom of the slow cooker, which worked extremely well) with roast potatoes, and gravy made from the cooking liquor. It was lovely but the meat was definitely overcooked so a bit dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yesterday myself & HB Jr I had a bash at making Gyoza. Pleating the wrappers was a pain in the ass, but they turned out great! Served with a soy, rice vinegar & chilli dipping sauce & sticky rice.

Oh, I love gyoza. I've made them a few times and they never seem to make it as far as the table.

Well, Sunday's dinner. Roast pork loin (surprisingly tasty and juicy for a piece from Lidl) crusted with rosemary and fennel seed served with a apple-y gravy (used apple juice in the bottom of the roasting dish in place of cider/water) and served with turnip/sweet potato mash and potatoes.

Gyoza are a mini version of the Chebureki I mentioned above! Different country and name but same thing.

Makood wrote: »
    Gyoza are a mini version of the Chebureki I mentioned above! Different country and name but same thing.

Chebureki look like a Pirozhki/Pelmeni hybrid, but deep fried instead of baked or boiled. Would that be right?

Chebureki look like a Pirozhki/Pelmeni hybrid, but deep fried instead of baked or boiled. Would that be right?

Just asked herself, she said they are similar but a different dough. I've attached a picture.

2i8wx7c.jpg

Burger, roasted potatoes, carrots, broccoli and coleslaw.

685042FD-2CAF-4B35-9755-53BA041E2A5A_zpscrt39qyg.jpg

Made these burgers last week using this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/the-perfect-burger-92021. They were the tastiest burgers ever! Today's effort were dry and bland. The only difference was the mince. What's the best mince/fat level to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What's the best mince/fat level to use?

For burgers for me it's Aberdeen Angus 15% fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Tuna steak and mushroom risotto
    Epic

The remains of my roasted squash and some Stilton cheese came together to become a roasted squash pasta with a Stilton sauce yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made these burgers last week using this recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/the-perfect-burger-92021. They were the tastiest burgers ever! Today's effort were dry and bland. The only difference was the mince. What's the best mince/fat level to use?

I'd say what you used last week is the one to go for!
    What did you use last week and this week?

• Advertisement

We had a Chicken & Potato curry courtesy of Mrs Billy - a bit mild for my palate, so I mixed a tablespoon of chilli pickle through mine to give it a bit of a kick.

I'd say what you used last week is the one to go for!
    What did you use last week and this week?

Last week was a mix of two minces, think both were 15% fat. Yesterday was a mix of 15% fat and an unknown.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Steak and eggs...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last week was a mix of two minces, think both were 15% fat. Yesterday was a mix of 15% fat and an unknown.....

If some of it was round steak mince, it would tend to be dry and tasteless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

After last night's GBBO it had to be pie for dinner, so I made a big pie version of homemadecider's Cooking Club Beef & Mushroom pie :)

Recipe here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056822263

157p24p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Pan fried turkey breast with some tasty veg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I'd go for 80:20. Shops seem to be tending towards fashionably low-fat, though :(

Roasted prawns. Sautéed baby kale (with lots of garlic, a pinch of chilli flakes and a dash of red wine vinegar added before serving) and some herby quinoa.

Chicken legs in a spicy Mexican peanut sauce (Laterra from Fallon+Byrne) with home made Mexican rice...

30025921500_8549d949b6_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mushroom Risotto with rare hanger steak atop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement