Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Steak sarnie, crispy new potatoes, cheesy mushrooms and beetroot salad

6664A5CE-A978-481F-A438-46B47ABE4C03_zpspuo4dbt3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭trashcan

Shenshen wrote: »
    Grown-up mac'n'cheese - pasta, cauliflower and broccoli with a cheddar and Tipperary Blue cheese sauce, baked.

Quick, easy, and so comforting.

Interesting. Think I'll try something like this next week. Some chopped bacon bits through it might be nice too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

trashcan wrote: »
    Interesting. Think I'll try something like this next week. Some chopped bacon bits through it might be nice too I'd imagine.

I'm not sure, bacon and blue cheese? Very strong flavours, it might be overkill.
    But give it a try, by all means :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure, bacon and blue cheese? Very strong flavours, it might be overkill.
    But give it a try, by all means :)

Bacon and blue cheese is generally considered one of those "classic combinations", so it can work. Mac and cheese is more forgiving than most in terms of flavour combinations so it would work well there IMHO.

Lemon and thyme butter basted chicken supreme with honey roasted parsnips and dauphinoise potatoes. Granted the latter were from Lidl's Deluxe range. Found them hard to criticise, apart from the need for a little more salt. That could be down to purely personal preference, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Roasted lamb shank with a rosemary and garlic gravy. I'd forgotten how gorgeous shanks were. Turnip and mashed carrots and parsnips along with roast potatoes and a celeriac gratin completed the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yesterday was a good food day. I had two dinners!

Dinner one was a lentil cottage pie. I don't really enjoy cooking with lentils and unless in a curry find them bland. Well. I was wrong. Honestly the pie was the best dinner I remember making myself. A new staple in our weekly meals. Packed with veg, flavoursome, filling, warming, cheap to make and easy enough for me to do.

Dinner two was mixed leaves I bought in the farmers market. I dunno if they were younger than the ones you get in the supermarket but they were much more delicate and tasty. Red onion, also from the market and also very delicate and light compared to what I'm used to. Feta cheese and pomegranate seeds and juice. With a bag of chips and a slice of batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

That lentil cottage pie sounds good. Just Googled (well, Binged) and got 203 000 hits. First hit though was lentil shepherd's (me neither) pie from the BBC. Have you got a link to your recipe please? Don't bother typing it all out if you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

arian wrote: »
    That lentil cottage pie sounds good. Just Googled (well, Binged) and got 203 000 hits. First hit though was lentil shepherd's (me neither) pie from the BBC. Have you got a link to your recipe please? Don't bother typing it all out if you haven't.

I used this one, but halved the quantities. Next time I will do full quantities and make individual portions in those foil storage containers and freeze loads.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10035/golden-veggie-shepherds-pie

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Thanks. Yours wins: it's got mushrooms :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Used rapeseed oil rather than olive oil for some steak and chips. I had chips everyone else had mash, I am not mad on the mash, im mad on the chips

as thin chips go they were good

399382.jpg
    looks a bit grey there, it was medium

instant pot was on sale for 99 pounds on amazon last night, very nearly ordered it only I was so full after the dinner I didn't expect to ever need to eat food again, I was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Finally got around to something worth talking about..
    Had mince BBF today, red pepper, mushrooms just starting to go a little soft, onions, chillis, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, chilli powder, paprika, stock and tom purée.
    Worst thing about getting perishables whilst in college, get loads but haven't time to make it then. Made time today, made chilli con carne.
    Very nice in the end, made a bucket of it though :P
    I'll attach picture of it in a pan in a bit, went through 3 pans while cooking, it just kept getting bigger.
    Made it spicy as well, like it spicy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Yesterday I made honey roasted ham with chilli roasted carrots and turnip and garlic roasties.

I've left over ham, ill have it with sweet potato turnip carrots and peas

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was boiled ham with mash, & a side salad of beetroot, goats cheese, walnuts & rocket with a honey & mustard vinaigrette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lemon chicken with stir fried veg and rice noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Pasta with a Croatia-inspired sauce - fresh tomato sauce mixed with a good bit of ajvar, stirred through with bits of feta cheese and black olives. Spiced up with some Turkish jalapenos, and finished with a bit of parsley.

Just the thing to say goodbye to summer.

Roasted chicken breasts marinated in chilli & lemon with cous cous & peppers stuffed with cherry tomatoes, feta & basil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I had pea and ham hock soup and 3 large slices of rustic Brown multi seed bread buried under room temp Kerrygold.....with a light dusting of salt

Hake baked with a creamy mustard topping and sautéed leeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

First time trying Jamie Oliver's Low and Slow chilli, could have done with the brisket being a bit fattier (was pre-trimmed in the butchers) but it was still quite nice when I was used to using just minced beef before:

pCLJGej.jpg?1

(third time lucky posting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Prawns with a courgette and spinach salad. Used the dressing from Jamie Oliver's asian greens. Very tasty, but not terribly filling :(

Went to the new Brú House pub in Fairview for dinner. Billed as a gastrobub, the food was a bit too processed for my liking. On the plus side, the spicy chicken wings were hot enough to rival the ones in the nearby Yacht pub. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Went to the new Brú House pub in Fairview for dinner. Billed as a gastrobub, the food was a bit too processed for my liking. On the plus side, the spicy chicken wings were hot enough to rival the ones in the nearby Yacht pub. :)

Ah thanks, saw that new pub, what happened to Smyths? did they sell up

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Ah thanks, saw that new pub, what happened to Smyths? did they sell up

No idea. Smyths was a lovely old pub but any regulars it got were the dregs of society. If they bought it they would have got it pretty cheap.

A craft brewery buying it was a good move however their chips were soggy and the kids' chicken nuggets were pure sh1te. Chicken goujons have got to be the easiest and cheapest things to cook, why can't they make them instead?

Plus, there were hipsters everywhere. :( So it's back to Gaffneys for me! (and their extensive menu of crisps and dry roasted peanuts):rolleyes:

Just had a bowl of soup last night - curried sweet potato with chorizo, & a couple of slices of Mrs B's brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

No idea. Smyths was a lovely old pub but any regulars it got were the dregs of society. If they bought it they would have got it pretty cheap.

A craft brewery buying it was a good move however their chips were soggy and the kids' chicken nuggets were pure sh1te. Chicken goujons have got to be the easiest and cheapest things to cook, why can't they make them instead?

Plus, there were hipsters everywhere. :( So it's back to Gaffneys for me! (and their extensive menu of crisps and dry roasted peanuts):rolleyes:

Ah bless... I love Gaffney's great pint of Guinness.

Toasted cheese and onion roll from Lidl's bakery, spread with a little mayo and filled with sliced chicken breast and a nice smear of caramelised red onion chutney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Turkey and veg curry with basmati rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭trashcan

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Bacon and blue cheese is generally considered one of those "classic combinations", so it can work. Mac and cheese is more forgiving than most in terms of flavour combinations so it would work well there IMHO.

Tried this tonight. Was tasty enough, but I wasn't completely happy with it. Pasta was a bit over cooked , veg a little under. Cheese sauce was a little heavy (texture wise rather than flavour) Tried the bacon in it though, along with some o onion and garlic. Will have to try it again to get it right. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement