Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

trashcan wrote: »
    Tried this tonight. Was tasty enough, but I wasn't completely happy with it. Pasta was a bit over cooked , veg a little under. Cheese sauce was a little heavy (texture wise rather than flavour) Tried the bacon in it though, along with some o onion and garlic. Will have to try it again to get it right. :D

It's a balance. That said, I don't think vegetables have a place in Mac and Cheese. Even onion is a push :P

I tend to slightly undercook the pasta (as the sauce will soak into it while baking and finish the job).

Sauce can be a bit of an issue. I tend to make a fairly classic roux based cheese sauce when doing mac and cheese, but I find variations in thickness on occasion: even with the same ingredients/proportions. The sauce can be an art rather than a science :P

I wouldn't use just blue cheese, but mix it with Gruyère or even some cheddar at a push. All blue cheese and bacon might can be a bit OTT.

It's been a while since I did a bacon/blue cheese combo..but talking about it now makes me want to make one again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I made a pasta bake last week with a roux cheese sauce and gave it to the dogs. It was dense and flavourless. Granted I didn't use a recipe so my own fault really.

Last night I had lentil cottage pie again. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cullen Skink. It's not a misspelling. It's a poor Scottish man's seafood chowder, with potato, leek, smoked haddock and milk.

Had some left over black olive couscous and tzatiki from a lamb dish the other evening. Paired them with a kiln roasted salmon fillet with dill from Aldi. Made for a pretty good meal overall, with the tzatiki's cucumber flavours and yogurt tanginess pairing nicely with the salty, smoky salmon and it's dill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken quinoa biryani based on Curry Addict's recipe from the cooking club. Yum.

IMG_20161021_195403_edit_1477076077776_zpstnzug0q5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I had a home made pizza with garlic n herb passata ,grated mozzarella, diced red onion, black olives,spinach, wafer ham, crumbled ricotta, chunky diced tomatoes, balls of mozzarella , dabs of red onion relish, artichoke hearts, buried the lot under rocket and drizzled it with xtra virgin olive oil

Then polished off the night with 200g of chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's a balance. That said, I don't think vegetables have a place in Mac and Cheese. Even onion is a push :P

IMO sweetcorn works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stuffed chicken thighs, wrapped in bacon with pickled cabbage and potato hash.

8F380B0A-CC8C-44CB-9CA3-693031E94389_zpsza7sspsa.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Good ole spag bol. Left it simmering all day. Made a big batch for us and friends who just had a babby. Garlic bread, cheese. Very yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I hope this isn't too down market for the thread, but tonight I had Salt and Chilli Chicken and not from a takeaway. A really enjoyable dish to prep, cook and eat with fresh ingredients. Made some egg fried rice to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Gluten free pizza from supervalu, tarted up with some olives and feta on the pepperoni one, and then some cajun chicken, red pepper and goats cheese on the marguerita one. Tasteeeee......

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I hope this isn't too down market for the thread, but tonight I had Salt and Chilli Chicken and not from a takeaway. A really enjoyable dish to prep, cook and eat with fresh ingredients. Made some egg fried rice to go with it.

On Tuesday night I had a packet of crisps and a banana for dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Falafel with red onion, cucumber & tomato and served with hummus and chilli sauce in a pitta pocket. Potato wedges, mozzarella sticks.

399813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Bbq beef strips with homemade taco mayo and sweet potato fries

We had dinner at lunch time today and I had fish and chips; nom So this evening we had plastic cheese and ham toasties with a cuppa and a sliced apple. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Satay turkey burgers, not spicy enough for me but the kids loved them

My second time making a beef casserole without the cheating packet from the supermarket. Just flour, stock and a whole lot of love in the oven. Served with creamy mash and garden peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Happy Anniversary Mrs G!

A superb steak from Aldi, with fried onions, triple cooked chips, roasted brocolli, mushy peas and pickled cabbage.

B156F084-EDF3-4353-AF40-6B7484AD775A_zpsy7khcvkz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

We had dinner at lunch time today and I had fish and chips; nom So this evening we had plastic cheese and ham toasties with a cuppa and a sliced apple. :)

God, I thought I was the only one who said "plastic cheese". Delighted it's not just me....

Roasted on the bone chicken breasts, gravy, stuffing balls with garlic/lemon tender-stem broccoli and spuds :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

anon71 wrote:
    God, I thought I was the only one who said "plastic cheese". Delighted it's not just me....

If by plastic cheese you mean easi singles I'm I. The club too

We'd baby back ribs,Argentine potatoes (from supervalu) and toast veg

Nom nom nom

Also did a pork Thai green curry on Friday,oh my god Devine...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

We had tortellini (Lidl's Ricotta and Spinach ones) with a creamy roasted butternut squash sauce and fresh focaccia with sundried tomatoes and ajvar on the side.

30j30cz.jpg

And for dessert, there was monkey bread. Doesn't come across great on the picture, but was utterly delicious.

28lsz80.jpg

Battered cod fillet and chunky oven chips (Aldi's Specially Selected ones) with some garlic mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Mushroom ravioli with chilli and garlic sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Monday was roast chicken with roasted Queens & Brussels sprouts.

This evening was soup made from the carcass with diced carrots, onion, celery & a few balls leaves.

Made a big ass pot of chilli this morning for tomorrow evening & Thursday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

On Tuesday night I had a packet of crisps and a banana for dinner

I'm getting dinner at lunch with work this week so had a crisp sandwich and a cup of tea this evening

Monday was roast chicken with roasted Queens & Brussels sprouts.

This evening was soup made from the carcass with diced carrots, onion, celery & a few balls leaves.

Mmmmmm, tasty balls ;)

How do you make your chilli, because I make a great one!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It was comfort food last night - lentil cottage pie with very cheesy mash. Warming and delicious, but too sloppy looking to be photographed

• Advertisement

Lazy lazy night. Found some Carr's chive crispbreads in Tesco on clearance the other day and had some of Aldi's Specially Selected smoked salmon sitting in the fridge. Decided to not cook and snack instead :P

Made a horseradish cream cheese, spread it on the crackers, topped with salmon and really thin slices of cucumber.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement