Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Pan fried / oven baked Hake with buttery & creamy mash (topped with cheese and roasted in the oven for 20 mins) with green beans (boiled then fried in butter). Yummy.

I've mentioned it before but these things are super for cooking fish - frying pans with no handles, transfer direct from the hob to the oven - fish cooks in no time

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m-1ZQdtXAdXcg_4qviqPKeQ.jpg

I don't have the attachable handle yokie and just use a mitten.

The sauce I made for the fish was really simple and gorgeous - fry some butter, when it foams add a tbs of mixed herbs and a good splash of lemon juice. Give it a swirl and just pour over the fish.

Re: the hake - this was on special at my local fish shop. Bought a ton of it and made fish fingers for & with the kids yest. The place was a state but they loved dipping the fish into the eggs and bread-crumbs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Had to use up the last of the Kale so a similar dinner to last night's.

Chicken done in the oven (was too hungry to give it a good roasting!) with garlic butter and Parmesan served with Kale, peas & quinoa.

Going for a pizza tonight and I.cannot.wait

9B411D3C-EF7B-4FFD-8361-777FD0218762_zpsnf8adtfy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

tmc86 wrote: »
    Had to use up the last of the Kale so a similar dinner to last night's.

Chicken done in the oven (was too hungry to give it a good roasting!) with garlic butter and Parmesan served with Kale, peas & quinoa.

Did you saute the Kale from fresh? Or did you steam it?
    Have a bag languishing in the fridge. Tried stir frying it before - took about an hour to chew through it. Made kale chips or colcannon only since, but not in humour for either now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

fiddlechic wrote: »
    Have a bag languishing in the fridge. Tried stir frying it before - took about an hour to chew through it. Made kale chips or colcannon only since, but not in humour for either now!

We grow it here as it keeps great all through winter. I love getting a saucepan of stock up to a boil and dropping it in.
    I also add honey, coriander and some wholegrain mustard to the stock for added flavour as I then use it to make soup after the kale is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was a cobbled together dinner but one that cobbled together really well :D.
    I had leftover potato, J. artichoke and garlic mash and some hake (on special offer;)) so I made fish cakes and panko crumbed them and pan fried them.
    I picked up a poirre de boeuf and sliced it into smallish steaks and pan fried them rare.
    I got a lovely bag of baby spinach in our newly opened city centre Lidl so cooked that down with a touch of nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    Some cherry tomatoes slowly cooked with olive oil, garlic and thyme gave a lovely sauce/dressing to bring it all together.
    I thought the tomatoes looked very pretty in the pan so took a pic of them too.

7wVrSa.jpg

5mzuHr.jpg

• Advertisement

fiddlechic wrote: »

I sauteed it. Bit of coconut oil in a saucepan on a high heat and lash it in. Keep moving it around and it will wilt down similar to spinach.

I steam it the odd time as you can leave it but I'll add some flavour to it after.

I like your idea Kovu, I must try that the next time.

There's a good Kale soup recipe on LovinDublin (a site worth checking out for if you haven't come across it before)

http://lovindublin.com/recipes/sunday-night-rocket-fuel-healthy-kale-soup/

I got a lovely bag of baby spinach in our newly opened city centre Lidl so cooked that down with a touch of nutmeg and a squeeze of lemon juice.

I heard one had opened in the city centre, where abouts is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tmc86 wrote: »
    I heard one had opened in the city centre, where abouts is it?

Basement of TKMax. Just opened yesterday. Bye, bye crappy, poorly stocked, once always crowded, Paul Street Tesco:D :D

Between The English Market and Lidl I will rarely need to venture to Tesco any more.

Basement of TKMax. Just opened yesterday. Bye, bye crappy, poorly stocked, once always crowded, Paul Street Tesco:D :D

+1. That Tesco is a dump. I think it's the low ceilings that get me.

That Lidl could be dangerous though as I'll just end up going up to TKMax and buying more stuff for the kitchen :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Played the lottery and lost,Tried to serve rib steak as if it was a serloin(It works 80% of the time)

Still got a mean onion gravy out of the juice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I made a chilli with leftovers from yesterday's casserole and served it with some brown rice.

How can I post the pic here rather than an attached image using my iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chloebeag wrote: »
    I made a chilli with leftovers from yesterday's casserole and served it with some brown rice.

How can I post the pic here rather than an attached image using my iPhone?

Save the image on tinypic.com, choose MESSAGEBOARD from the dropdown list then paste the url here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonights yumminess will be: Stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon, steamed green beans and carrots and baby spuds done in the oven in an olive oil and herb coating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

First time ever trying Chicken Teriyaki so no idea if it's good or not by other people's standards - but **** it tastes good to me.

296444.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb chops, buttery scallion mash and buttery, milky spinach for me tonight. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Daughter has friends round for a sleepover so it was pizza and chicken wings here tonight.
    Baked the wings instead of frying them. Dusted them in seasoned flour and left in the fridge for a few hours. Put some sunflower oil in a bowl and coat the wings. Put them on a baking rack in a baking tray. 200c oven for 45 minutes and hey presto, crispy wings!! :)
    6A3B3E55-A295-44B1-861C-C5F9DC6990A7_zpsgruu2jfc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Lol at approving thumb Gloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lol at approving thumb Gloom!

Didn't see that. Kids think I'm mad taking pics of our dinner all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was rack of lamb spiced with ras-al-hanout, on a bed of wilted spinach and a bulgar wheat salad with walnuts and herbs, dressed with olive oil and a little red wine vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Homemade guac (my best yet :D) and lightly salted tortilla chips. And ALL the wine.

• Advertisement

Striploin steaks with onion rings (first time making and nicer than any chipper :)) with wilted spinach (nutmeg & lemon juice (thanks Beer!)) and mash. Finished off a Bordeaux I opened last night and currently quaffing a rather nice Bourgogne with some jazz in the background (herself has migrated to the tele) ...just love Fri nights ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Tapas last night in town! So delicious. Calamari, gambas, potatoes with aioli and sirloin steak on garlic bread. Finished off with a Ferrero Rocher cheesecake.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I made the Neven Maguire Chicken Tikka Masala and I have to say it was DELICIOUS!!! I boiled the rice in turmeric and cardamom and I remembered why I don't use cardamom. I reallllly don't like that flavor. It's a bit too fragrant for my liking so it ruined my dinner, but I have a massage big pot of it left and the curry is even nicer at a day old so I've been requested to make curry, homemade burgers and chips! What a combo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night we had Striploin steaks served with small roast chunks of potato and baby carrots boiled and dressed with Tarragon and olive oil. A decent Cote du Rhone did the honours on the vino front.

The spuds were good as were the carrots but I was not overly happy with the Steak which - maybe its me - had been frozen on purchase and although thoroughly defrosted lost some of its texture in the process. Not bad but not where I wanted it to be but so be it..

Bet Fitzcoff did better in the Tannery (belated happy birthday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Cottage pie and purple tenderstem broccoli. Tastes lovely but I can never manage to construct it so that it holds its shape properly after cooking, it always slops all over the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonights offering. Mojito's to start :) Then We are having hake pan fried in butter with a lil lemon and parsley, baby spuds, green beans and carrots (a two person household and a job lot of beans and carrots means they'l be sprouting from our ears soon enough!!!) Lots of lovely wine to wash it all down methinks. And then the prep for tomorrows big job dinner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Pang wrote: »
    Tapas last night in town! So delicious. Calamari, gambas, potatoes with aioli and sirloin steak on garlic bread. Finished off with a Ferrero Rocher cheesecake.

That sounds incredible! Do you mind me asking where that was?

Tonight we're having roast pork, which I'm not too keen on. But if there's stuffing it's aaaaaall good :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was a bit stressed today, so took to the kitchen again. Made this, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1109637/lasagne, and here's how it turned out.

A21153B24C7445DD86E39229909BE324-0000324795-0003511205-00800L-8F6522EC4D594872B7FBD7CC2FE58AB4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    That sounds incredible! Do you mind me asking where that was?

Tonight we're having roast pork, which I'm not too keen on. But if there's stuffing it's aaaaaall good :D

Pintxos in Temple Bar. We are obsessed with the place. Love their tapas. Plus I love how dark the restaurant is and how the candles make it feel so cosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Yesterday we had Mediterranean-marinated seabass with salad of lettuce, rocket, tomato, peppers, gherkins, radishes, red onion, cucumber and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

34hc10g.jpg

Tonight we had Italian herb chicken, cooked in one of those nifty Maggi Italian Herb Papryus paper thingies-you place the chicken fillet on the herb-infused paper and place it on a dry hot pan and cook for 15 minutes on each side, until done.
    It turns out delicious.
    Served with miniature baby potaotes and large mixed salad.

ddn77c.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement