Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

House special fried rice.
    Camargue rice, egg, onion, carrot, celery, red pepper, spring onion, preserved black beans, cooked chicken thigh, green chilli, ginger, garlic, sweetcorn, soya beans, broad beans, peas, soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil.
    Not much leftover rice so it was heavy on the veg.

7D9czJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pampootie wrote: »
    Cottage pie and purple tenderstem broccoli. Tastes lovely but I can never manage to construct it so that it holds its shape properly after cooking, it always slops all over the plate.

A good cottage pie'll do that!;)
    (seriously, if it is of a texture to hold it's shape, it's too dry)
    and thank you for not calling it a shepherd's pie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

What does sea bass taste like ? Is it real fishy like mackerel or more like trout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am about to get started on tonights masterpiece. I am doing Tiramisu for dessert (making it first so it can chill in the fridge). Then I am doing mushroom bruschetta for starters, Garlic bread, salad and The Sweepers 2013 Cooking Club Lasagne for mains (god help me the work!). Add in ALL the wine, and then the snacks for tonights Oscars. Fat pig alert :D

hdowney wrote: »
    I am about to get started on tonights masterpiece. I am doing Tiramisu for dessert (making it first so it can chill in the fridge). Then I am doing mushroom bruschetta for starters, Garlic bread, salad and The Sweepers 2013 Cooking Club Lasagne for mains (god help me the work!). Add in ALL the wine, and then the snacks for tonights Oscars. Fat pig alert :D
    Whats your address ? I will bring the batch loaf and real butter, about 7.30 ? :)

• Advertisement

Last night was lazy but so good. Bought a very crusty slice it yourself turnover (it was still warm) yesterday in Paris Bakery in Moore St, Sliced it good and thick and smothered with real butter served with a can of Baxters French Onion Soup with a large handful of grated cheese on top. Washed down with a Pecan slice and a large mug of steamin Tae ! I really enjoyed it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had a garlic, wine, whiskey, creamy chicken pasta. It was amazing.

I fried the chicken in the pan for a minute so it was coloured on the outside, and then put it on a plate and put onions, garlic and mushrooms into the pan for about 2-3 minutes and then some white wine and a one cap of whiskey and left it in the pan for about 2 minutes. I then put the mushrooms, onions, garlic and alcohol into a casserole dish and put the chicken on top of it.

I then put some whiskey into the pan for a minute and then poured that over the chicken. I then added in 3/4 cup of chicken stock into the pan and let it bubble for a few seconds and then put it into the casserole dish and then put the dish into the oven at 180 degrees for about 25 minutes (maybe a bit less).

When it was done in the oven, I put the sauce, mushrooms, onions and garlic into a small saucepan and added in 250ml of double cream and 2-3 caps of whiskey, 2 crushed garlic cloves and let it reduce down.

Served it with penne. It was scrumptious.

finix wrote: »
    What does sea bass taste like ? Is it real fishy like mackerel or more like trout ?
    I personally don't find that Seabass has a fishy taste, that said, I never cook it on its own. I tend to always have garlic, lemon, chilli flakes, salt and pepper on it.

I made a post here about it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88837527&postcount=1411

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

finix wrote: »

It's not a fishy fish, but like Toast said-I always have it well seasoned.
    Garlic, lemon, ginger, de-seeded chilli, pepper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Toast that pasta sounds unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast that pasta sounds unreal!
    It was scrummy. Plenty of washing up, worth it though.

Photo of it I'd forgotten to add in my previous post.

296678.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night I ate out for a friend's birthday and had really bad chicken satay (dry, caked in curry powder, rubbish satay sauce), nice Panang Beef & a really nice marshmallow-y pavlova.

Friday night was a fridge-clearer salad. A lonesome pork chop, sweet potatoes, rocket, mozzarella, grated applewood, tomatoes and pumpkin seeds toasted in a spoonful of the chili oil from my jar of Laoganma black bean stuff (B0jangles you have created a monster). It was really good with the added bonus of making us feel like Healthiness McWholefoods for the night when we could have been up to our oxters in Domino's boxes

89a90ced-1ed9-4878-be4b-6a90a5c6e8ab_zps16d24f16.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lamb belly, rolled up with streaky bacon on the inside, topped with an onion/herb/breadcrumb stuffing and some extra rosemary and mint. The outside got seasoned with a bit of duck fat, salt, pepper and garlic.
    Then thrown into the range here for about 6-7 hours.
    I love these cuts of meat as the fire is always on in our house so a meal can be cooking away all day with no electricity being used.

Served on linguine with a spicy tomato sauce and bruschetta pieces.

TVAFAx9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Last night we had Duck Confit ,braised red cabbage and sauted potatoes (in duck fat) tossed in a persillade. Seriously tasty, the potatoes were so good you could eat them all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Honey marinated salmon (grilled) with rosemary and garlic baby potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sirloin steak, pepper sauce, garlic and cheese potatoes, fried leeks with bacon and homemade ratatouille.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

tonight is Mushroom Bruschetta, more of The Sweepers Lasagne, Salad, Garlic Bread, Tiramisu and wine :)

Last night I thoroughly effed up a roast dinner. I got Jamie Oliver type notions that I could make a one tray roast dinner that involved half cooking some seriously elderly canellini beans by boiling them then sticking them under the chicken with diced sweet potatoes and some stock. "Just like the Italians do, I bet". HA HA, no. After an hour I had a cooked chicken, potatoes gone to mush and little white pellets I could use to break windows if I needed to.

So I put the beans on to cook for an age longer and piled sliced roast chicken, very soft 'roast' sweet potatoes, left over hummus, some cheese and rocket on a wholemeal wrap. It was tasty, if tainted by failure, but not quite the roast dinner I was expecting.

e664e3e0-7f29-44c4-a9af-27b0032052f2_zps3ce91090.jpg

Tonight I made like a piranha and stripped the chicken carcass (I really impressed myself with the amount of chicken I got with my little knife) and made fried rice with leftover & frozen vegetables. Was ok. Mary Berry definitely not impressed mind you

09623896-752f-46da-b60b-3ff96b47317f_zpsfc789e38.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

First post for me! I love all the great ideas and photos here and been meaning to make a contribution for ages. WEnt mad tonight and did 2 courses!! fingers crossed with the pics ...hope they work out! :o

Started with prawns in cocktail sauce with avocado and salad

Dinner003.jpg

...followed by stuffed portobello mushrooms. Stuffing was onion, garlic, sausage meat (from M&S chipolatas, they're nice and meaty) a few bread crumbs, some thyme and a dash of red wine. Bit of cheddar on top too!

[IMG]http://[/img]Dinner007.jpg

Dinner007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Was at the dentist today and afterwards went to pick up a few things to cook with. Between a double dose of number and some laughing gas, I bought the most eclectic basket of items so I had to do a fridge emptying dinner.....

Ended up making a form of ratatouille by cooking off some red and yellow pepper, mangetout, mushroom, garlic, onion and sundried tomatoes , using the flavoured oil from the tomatoes. Then fired in some bacon that was in the fridge and some passata, oregano, basil and marjoram. Felt like it needed a kick though so in went some sweet paprika and chilli.
    Lashed that into a tin, covered it with potato and made a small salad with shredded iceberg, red onion, ripped mozzarella, pineapple (?) sweetcorn and salt/pepper/balsamic/olive oil dressing.

LcGpRUV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night I just did rashers, fried eggs and fried mushrooms. Not very exciting but filling and surprisingly satisfying. More effort tonight though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Apart from the several courses of pancakes today (on my new ceramic pan which I love!), it's the first home cooked meal in a week. We were moving houses so have been living on takeaways (bluek after 3 days in a row), microwave dinner and deli sandwiches.
    So tonight I made Lamb Bhuna, tweaking Madhur Jaffrey's recipe, with brown basmati, and cucumber slices to cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

8 cheese and crisp (tayto cheese & onion) sandwiches on soft wholemeal bread. A mug of black tea. The contrast in textures between the cheese, the crisps and the bread is what makes it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight I made a mound of delicious crepes.

For the savoury filling, I melted some unsalted butter in a pan and added a couple of cloves of garlic. Then I added a large handful of sliced chestnut mushrooms and fried until almost golden. Next I crumbled a beef Oxo cube into the pan, added a splash of boiling water and stirred, before adding a handful of frozen spinach. Once everything was well heated through, I added a big glug of double cream and seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Best pancake filling ever.

The sweet ones had lemon, sugar and butter, or Häagen-Dazs cookies and cream. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight I had a light dinner so I'd have room for pancakes! I just had diced chicken breast with lots of paprika and chili powder, mushrooms, peppers, peas, garlic and onion. I was worried it would be a bit dry but thankfully it was lovely because nothing was overdone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyiopddber5k5oy/2014-03-04%2018.25.42.jpg

And for desert, gluten free pancakes and nutella. Simple but delicious, even if we only had self-raising GF flour!

1230038_10202186624244648_1275019640_n.jpg

In preperation for pancake fest (which has to be late because my partner works till 11, will be sleeping badly tonight) I had a chicken salad. Although it wasn't that light as it had chicken, bacon, avocado, a tiny amount of cheese, toasted seeds, baby gem and cucumber. Roll on the marshmallows & chocolate!!

Very slow pan fried lambs liver with onions and mushrooms with a dash of worstershire sauce served with brocelli and steamed baby spuds and some fresh Brennans Granery Batch loaf. I now feel so content !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Il post a picture of my dinner I make tomorrow as I was treated today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ellavin wrote: »
    Il post a picture of my dinner I make tomorrow as I was treated today :)

Where? Looks real nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

In dundrum Dublin it was amazing!
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Where? Looks real nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

We had beef stir fry with fried rice and for dessert Nigella's nutella pancakes, which I can't recommend highly enough (even if the picture doesn't adequately display just how glorious they were)

23h4rdh.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement