Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

The plan was chicken and leek pie, opened the chicken to be greeted with a rather funky smell... Plan abandoned

Impromptu meal out now ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was simply grilled lamb chops marinated in garlic, lemon rind & juice, chilli flakes, olive oil. Served with sweet potato fries and peas. No sauce, I forgot :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Marty,

Thanks for this. I note from the recipe that the cooking time is very short (for a stew)...did you cook as per the recipe or cook for longer?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Hi Loire

Apart from the few changes to the recipe that I made I pretty much stuck to there cooking time maybe added about 5 minutes to the simmering time but not a whole lot more and it turned out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Homemade quinoa base pizza so all of the protein, none of the carbs and more of the yummy! :D

1622705_10153849270270307_1750324336_n.jpg

The base was a bit thick so it was quite "doughy" and heavy. I've got ingredients left over (went to the local supervalu and got a container of their fresh pizza ingredients for €1.71!) for tomorrow so I'll try it again and do it with half the amount of quinoa. I'll make it thinner and hopefully it'll be crispier!

That looks delicious :).
    Mars Bar wrote: »
    Homemade quinoa base pizza so all of the protein, none of the carbs and more of the yummy! :D

Try a meatza :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Got a slow cooker yesterday, can't wait to try some of the recipes from the sticky thread over the coming weeks :)

The recipe said to add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup which gave it a lovely rich flavour to the broth
    567dd610fe8feadbdba266d26522b463.png

That looks delicious :).

Try a meatza :).

I tried making a chicken pizza once but it was too much work trying to flatten the chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Japanese rice bowl - brown rice, grilled chicken in hot sauce, soya beans, stem broccoli, spinach and spring onions. Dressed with a little ponzu sauce and a squeeze of lime juice.

I tried making a chicken pizza once but it was too much work trying to flatten the chicken!

Use turkey or beef mince add in some rolled oats to help hold it together throw in some spice or hot sauce to give the base flavour then shape and put in the oven for about twenty minutes on a baking tray then take out add whatever toppings you desire pop back in the oven for a few minutes and hey presto :).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

We had a simple but tasty chicken and veg stir fry. I marinated strips of chicken in some garlic, red chilli, ginger, soy sauce, white wine vinegar, olive oil and five spice. Then I stir fried it altogether with onion, red pepper, mushrooms, fine green beans, carrots and a ladle of chicken stock. ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Prawn Chow Mein. Oh how I love prawns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

The base was a bit thick so it was quite "doughy" and heavy. I've got ingredients left over (went to the local supervalu and got a container of their fresh pizza ingredients for €1.71!) for tomorrow so I'll try it again and do it with half the amount of quinoa. I'll make it thinner and hopefully it'll be crispier!

Can you please tell me how you made this?:)

Wurly wrote: »
    Can you please tell me how you made this?:)

I soaked three quarters of a mug of quinoa for about 7 hours (4-8 is recommended). I rinsed and drained the quinoa in a sieve and then put in the blender. I added a small glass of water to it so it came out like a pancake batter.
    I preheated a baking tin in the oven with some non stick spray in it and then poured the batter in to it. I baked it for 15 minutes on one side and then flipped it and baked it for 15 on the other side. Then I added all the topping ingredients and put it back in to the oven for 10 minutes.

It's handy if you decide in the morning that you're gonna do it for dinner coz you can just let it sit and soak while you're at work or whatever.

I have a 9 inch baking tray so for a thinner base, I'll be soaking just less than a half a mug of quinoa tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I will definitely make this. Fabulous idea. Thank you so much. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Made thin rice noodles with sun dried tomatoes, spring onions, chicken and little bit of soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Today I made the filling of a chicken and leek pie but served it with brown rice instead of the pastry. It was ok but I added too much chicken stock so was a bit watery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight I was going to have this for dinner. Because I wanted to cook as much as I wanted to go door to door on my road and offer to cut peoples' toenails

6b97afcd-c8ec-4149-a0d0-b9e6ba379981_zps1c8377fd.jpg

Then I remembered that today I have eaten the following

Breakfast: 1 latte, 1 small crunchie

Lunch: 4 petit four sized cakes (cupcake, rocky road, blondie, gross oily lemon cake) and 1 humongous wedge of chocolate biscuit cake

So I thought getting a few nutrients into me might be a plan, rather than cruising through the day on icing, honeycomb and booze. Steak, mozzerella, eggs, seeds, rocket, tomatoes, scallions, olive oil & red wine vinegar.

7b90b2aa-d1c4-48ba-9173-66d09d11ac73_zps580efc45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Tapas! At Mimosa in Carlow. A treat as always.

Had monkfish/prawn/chorizo skewers, pulled pork with apple chutney, creamy, creamy goats cheese with apple, crispy bacon bits, toasted almonds and balsamic reduction, frittata and Oreo cheesecake. Washed down with a cold, cold glass of Estrella.

Omnomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Grilled lemon, garlic and basil haddock with roasted sweet potatoes with paprika and cayenne pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Tapas! At Mimosa in Carlow. A treat as always.

Had monkfish/prawn/chorizo skewers, pulled pork with apple chutney, creamy, creamy goats cheese with apple, crispy bacon bits, toasted almonds and balsamic reduction, frittata and Oreo cheesecake. Washed down with a cold, cold glass of Estrella.

Omnomnomnom

Stop it now.

I love Mimosa!! I need to go there again! Next time you are there try the kangaroo its so good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

herisson wrote: »
    Stop it now.

I love Mimosa!! I need to go there again! Next time you are there try the kangaroo its so good.
    poor skippy ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

herisson wrote: »
    Stop it now.

It was my "farewell Mimosa" meal unfortch :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

The amount of times I've been to Carlow and I've never heard of Mimosa :P

Last night we took my grandparents out for dinner. I had a gorgeous gluten free seafood pasta with salmon, cod and prawns in a mushrooms sauce. It was full of chunks of fish, and they even did some GF garlic bread for me. Delicious!

Oh and a lot of red wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chloebeag wrote: »
    Today I made the filling of a chicken and leek pie but served it with brown rice instead of the pastry. It was ok but I added too much chicken stock so was a bit watery
    That happens to me too sometimes, a spoon of flour can thicken it right up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was wondering what to cook the other day-I had chicken breasts in the fridge, so I just came up with my own little recipe.

Italian Chicken Bake

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, left whole
    1 large carrot, cut into thick batons
    1 red pepper, cut into thick strips
    1 green pepper, cut into thick strips
    1 red onion, roughly sliced
    2 peeled cloves of garlic, left whole
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin of mixed beans, drained and rinsed
    150ml hot chicken stock
    1 de-seeded red chilli
    Sprinkle of chilli flakes
    Sprinkle of oregano, basil, salt and pepper

1-Place everything into an ovenproof dish and cook at 180c for an hour and ten minutes, stirring it every so often.
    2- Serve with baby potatoes or green beans.

It was absolutely delicious, lovely kick of chilli but without being too spicy, and the veg was yummy too.
    This is gonna be a favourite in our house from now on

Sorry no pic, I was too eager to get stuck in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Savage looking bottle of Pinot Noir Miss F :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Long time food and drink lurker here, first time poster.

Feeling excited today, I went to Pearse St fish market, and picked up some amazing cod and mussels.

Doing Roast Cod with Spiced Red Cabbage and Home Made Chunky Chips for Lunch, and Chinese Style Mussels for Dinner. Will keep you posted for pics :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Loire wrote: »
    Savage looking bottle of Pinot Noir Miss F :cool:

It was ever so tasty. Although am now on a bus with a slightly savage Pinot Noir hangover. Bums to it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Free gaff here, so no need for veg. Had this marinating since last night. Yummy.

FD12BF65DBB14B5F86138BC2FE4427A4-0000324795-0003515112-00800L-88D9C732F3FB4492AD285BBD44AE17C5.jpg

9F90EBD18C8F4BE1B5C6AEAEC4843BA0-0000324795-0003515114-00800L-691BE59053964D82BBBBC8C0021420F1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been a bit repetitive of late with dinner. I'd say 3 time in the last 10 days we had grilled chicken thighs with rice, spinach and jus. Thing is, we both love this dinner, it's quick and easy, cheap and reasonably healthy. Thought the folks here might get sick of pics of the same thing.

This week I also did a big pot of bolognese for dinner/freezer and we also had the galettes with chicken, bacon and leek filling twice. Nothing pretty to take pics of.

Tonight's dinner should be worthy of a pic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement