Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

finix wrote: »
    poor skippy ! :(

Seriously, its so good, tastes like beef nom.
    It was my "farewell Mimosa" meal unfortch :/

:(
    Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    The amount of times I've been to Carlow and I've never heard of Mimosa :P

Tapas Bar right across from the Cathedral. Go in before 7, its best, get himself to take you!

Nothing fancy tonight. Home made wedges with home made meatza (turkey mince and paprika base) with onions, sun dried tomatoes(currently going through a love affair with them) mushrooms and lactose cheese.

And had home made chipotle sauce. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pork & beef Swedish meatballs with raspberry jam/beef stock/cream/lemon sauce on top of a sweet/normal potato mash mix (had an unexpected shortage!)... My god I love that sauce!

20140308_185434.jpg

20140308_185450.jpg

20140308_185517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Prawns with garlic and coriander, served with wholegrain noodles. Still prawn obsessed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Billy86 wrote: »
    My god I love that sauce!

Could we have a more precise recipe than what you posted? It sounds divine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Billy86 wrote: »
    Pork & beef Swedish meatballs with raspberry jam/beef stock/cream/lemon sauce on top of a sweet/normal potato mash mix (had an unexpected shortage!)... My god I love that sauce!

If it wasnt for the raspberry id be all over that!

would strawberry or blueberry jam work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Could we have a more precise recipe than what you posted? It sounds divine!
    600ml beef stock (1 cube)

400g raspberry jam (lingon berry jam is the recommended authentic one but I've never seen it here, and a girl I was seeing last year from males told me raspberry is closest).

120ml double cream

5 or 6 tbsp lemon juice

3 tbsp plain flour

Put all but the flour in a saucepan on high heat until just about boiling, stirring lightly. Take it all out, put in a large container and use an electric whisk or whatnot to beat in the flour (it will clump together really easily otherwise). Put back in the saucepan on low/medium heat to simmer until it reduces to about 40% it's original size, again stirring occasionally... maybe 40 mins to an hour. It's best quite thick and sticky - should kind of cling between the tynes of a fork by the times its ready.

For the meatballs, 300g beef mince and 300g pork mince (it's hard to find but most butchers will mince it for you if you ask), 75g dried breadcrumbs, a good bit of salt and pepper and some mixed green herbs, about 2-3 tbsp of them. Put them all in a bit bowl, add 100ml milk and an egg... and mash it into a horrible brain paste looking thing.

Break this into three parts and roll them out like 3 big sausages. Fill the same bowl they were in with water and get a steak knife. Cut out approx 50 pieces (maybe half the size of a ping pong ball each) and roll into balls.! You will need to dip your hands and the knife in the water a good bit, it's a pretty messy job.

Put a large pan on top heat with a little oil until it is giving off smoke. Add 10 meatballs at a time to singe their outsidds. Careful not to burn them, just get a black/brown crunch to their exterior. Only 2 mins or so per batch. Then pop them in the oven at a low heat like 140 or so for 10 mins to cook through.

Chuck the meatballs into the sauce and stir about for a minute or so before stirring, so the sauce sticks all around it like a glaze without making a mess of the plate.

Because it's thick you can use as much as you like... My mash looks drowning in the pictures above, but the sauce is only a tiny bit thinner than ketchup so it won't make your meal 'watery' at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried lamb chump chops; rosemary red wine reduction; wilted spinach; cubed fried potato with rosemary and garlic; slow cooked cherry tomatoes with thyme, garlic, olive oil and sweet sherry vinegar.
    The chops were a tad underdone:mad:

7ijpX2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night was Beeftro in Dundrum after seeing it pop up on here

Had the wings for starters some the nicest wings I've had nice kick to them, followed by Sirloin steak cooked medium rare with bbq mash was absolutely delicious still not the best steak I've had out but certainly up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Daddy cooked for everyone yesterday.

We had roast pork, sage and onion stuffing, mashed potatoes, croquette potatoes, roast potatoes (we love potatoes, didn't you notice?!), carrots, sprouts and turnip, gravy and some had Yorkshire Puddings too, but I couldn't fit any more food in!

Couldn't snap a pic, sorry...they'd be looking at me like I had ten heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Calorie awareness went out the window yesterday eve,gloves were off.
    Ireland match on,a few beers and then some over indulgence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonight my mother is cooking!!!! :o I know it is some sort of chicken dish - she bought chicken in a sauce from the butchers, and I am expecting mash and veggies to compliment. She is also going out to buy a pie - apple or some sort to go with custard. But yay she is cooking. I haven't been well so it is nice to have her cook for a change.

As a coincidence to International Womens' Day, I had a good few male friends around and we had some of Sparks' recipes from the cooking club:

Chilli:
    8bVL6C.jpg

Pulled Pork:
    7BRKYx.jpg

Red Velvet Cake (Man Cake) for dessert:
    6ZsQQT.jpg

It was all mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I went to the Greenhouse yesterday - had the surprise 5 course tasting menu. And it was amazing. I may have had extreme food envy at the adjacent table's dessert, and to the shocked bemusement of our waiter, we all had a 6th course - second dessert - passionfruit souffle (1st pic). I only took 3 photos, as all other food devoured as soon as the waiter who described the food stopped talking.
    It's such a fabulous experience. 1st course= apple jelly with foie gras. 2nd course=raviolo of comte cheese with a roast onion, maderia sauce infused with smoked hay. 3rd course= roast cod with a winter minestrone (2nd pic). 4th course=roast quail with confit and celeriac and liquorise (3rd pic). 5th course=fennel and muscovado tart with blood orange sauce and black olive ice cream. 6th= passionfruit souffle with a white chocolate and ginger sauce. Petit fours = rum baba and chantilly cream.

Today, I made steak, with easy bernaise (so amazing, even with dried tarragon as Tesco had no fresh :-( ) with sweet potato fries baked in the oven. First time I had remotely crispy sweet potato fries - thanks to a 2 hour soak in cold water!

ff5a32f3-5236-4488-b12a-181b8b7a86ff.jpg

2014-03-08142826.jpg

2014-03-08144937.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Seafood pie tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

A pieminister Shamrock pie with carrots and petit pois. I over cooked the pie slightly :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had spaghetti with meatballs and crusty bread. I made this beauty for dessert - lemon meringue pie.

2nl5wlv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Baked hake with spices (no idea what, Mam was cooking, but it was great!), small roast potatoes, stirfried peppers, mushrooms and onions and roasted carrots and parsnips. Went home just for the evening and it was well worth the trip, but fiddlechic your descriptions have me hungry again now.

I cooked chicken thighs in a dish with peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, stock and herbs.

Let it cook at 180c fan for 1 1/2 hours. Served it up.

Cut open the chicken, saw blood, threw it all back in the oven, decided I was now turned off and had no appetite and swiftly went to the chipper for smoked cod and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

fussyonion wrote: »
    I cooked chicken thighs in a dish with peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, stock and herbs.

Let it cook at 180c fan for 1 1/2 hours. Served it up.

Cut open the chicken, saw blood, threw it all back in the oven, decided I was now turned off and had no appetite and swiftly went to the chipper for smoked cod and chips.

There must be something wrong with the oven?

There must be something wrong with the oven?

I hope not, it's only a year old!

I placed them in a deep casserole dish, surrounded by vegetables, tinned tomatoes and stock.

I did think I might have taken it out too often to stir it...so really it had less time in the oven than I thought, but the chicken was definitely not fully cooked so it went in the bin.

Now that you mention it, the oven does sound a bit louder than normal.
    Does anyone know if this is normal? I know I'm going off topic here but I reckon you foodies will know..It's a fan-oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

The heating element went in my oven two weeks ago fussyonion,but it is approx 5-6 years old. The grill element,light and fan were all working indicating the oven element gone. I do think after a lot of use ovens do get a bit louder, but a year old i would have thought not, maybe still under warranty?

Turn on your oven for ten minutes at 180. You will know if it is heating or not.
    I got a next day delivery from a firm with the spare part,if you need the no ill pm it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I had homemade chips and panko fried chicken goujons last night.

Overcooked the chicken a LOT but was doing it in the deep fat fryer so was aiming for safe rather than sorry!

No pics I'm afraid, I always forget - but they looked great :P

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

I got myself a slow cooker that finally arrived on Friday and then I took it for a test run on saturday. Had some bacon loins (the fatty ends though, my dad brings then home from work as the kitchen he works in doesn't use them), threw them into the slow cooker with some honey, mustard, and lea n' perrins, left it for 7 hours......all I can say is why did I not get a slow cooker sooner!!!! It was all kinds of amazing!

Last night I got a whole chicken marinading in a honey garlic bbq sauce and whacked it in the slow cooker before I left for work this morning.....I have spent the morning salavating thinking about it and I think this may continue all day!!
    Will post a pic this eve, if I can stop myself from devouring it for just a second!

but the chicken was definitely not fully cooked so it went in the bin.

Why in the name of all that's tasty would you do this?:eek::eek::eek:

If something is gone off, you bin it.
    If something isn't fully cooked, you cook it until it is cooked to your satisfaction. You could always have it the next day if it's too long to wait.

I often see people throwing left overs straight into the bin. It horrifies me.

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I went to the Greenhouse yesterday - had the surprise 5 course tasting menu.

I was thinking that food seemed familiar.
    The chef was previously in Gregan's Castle in Ballyvaughan.

Why in the name of all that's tasty would you do this?:eek::eek::eek:

If something is gone off, you bin it.
    If something isn't fully cooked, you cook it until it is cooked to your satisfaction. You could always have it the next day if it's too long to wait.

I often see people throwing left overs straight into the bin. It horrifies me.

I don't waste food but on this occasion my appetite was gone and to be frank, I was turned off the thighs and so was my partner.
    We just didn't want it anymore.
    I was never a big fan of thighs anyway, never enough meat on them and they're a bit gristly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I don't waste food but on this occasion my appetite was gone and to be frank, I was turned off the thighs and so was my partner.
    We just didn't want it anymore.
    I was never a big fan of thighs anyway, never enough meat on them and they're a bit gristly.

If your appetite was gone why did you go to the chipper?

Like beer revolu, I am also baffled that anyone would throw a full dinner in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They obviously meant that their appetite for the chicken thighs was gone. It's not that difficult to understand? My stomach would turn if I cut open chicken and saw that it was raw on the inside, I'd probably lose my appetite for it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I was thinking that food seemed familiar.
    The chef was previously in Gregan's Castle in Ballyvaughan.

It's the 3rd time I've been. Plus I was in Gregans when he was there too. Had the afternoon tea as well in Gregans and that was really different.

It's a tiny bit same-y (for them, as opposed to other restaurants / what I could do at home) ; but excellent none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Is your oven within its guarantee period fussyonion? I regularly bake thighs for tandoori and my own chilli chicken recipe and at 180 fan, they really should be cooked well within about an hour. Coming out inedible after 90 minutes definitely suggests that something is amiss so you should have it checked out.

The lemon meringue looks absolutely divine Dizzy, so if you have a recipe I'd love to have it please!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement