Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I hate when this thread gets negative, it's one of the most positive places on boards, please let's not change that. We've all thrown out an unappetising meal at one stage or another, it's no biggie.

Last night we had Christmas dinner! MIL was cooking. :) Turkey, ham, sausagemeat, herb and apple stuffing, Brussels sprouts with pancetta and almonds, buttered carrots, mash and gravy, with red velvet cake for dessert. Nom! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If your appetite was gone why did you go to the chipper?

Like beer revolu, I am also baffled that anyone would throw a full dinner in the bin.

This isn't the place for nitpicking, so please don't do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merkin wrote: »
    The lemon meringue looks absolutely divine Dizzy, so if you have a recipe I'd love to have it please!

It was this one from the Good Food website: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3482/ultimate-lemon-meringue-pie

It's called the Ultimate Lemon Meringue Pie and it lived up to its name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Normally I don't have time to take photos, but boyfriend neglected to tell me he'd be home a bit late, so dinner and has been on the table for twenty minutes. Spicy-satay-esque chicken, crunchy broccoli and fragrant rice: hurry up boyfriend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Normally I don't have time to take photos, but boyfriend neglected to tell me he'd be home a bit late, so dinner and has been on the table for twenty minutes. Spicy-satay-esque chicken, crunchy broccoli and fragrant rice: hurry up boyfriend!!

Ooh how did you do that chicken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Just had pan fried scallops with asparagus and sugarsnap peas. Delightful meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Merkin wrote: »
    Is your oven within its guarantee period fussyonion? I regularly bake thighs for tandoori and my own chilli chicken recipe and at 180 fan, they really should be cooked well within about an hour. Coming out inedible after 90 minutes definitely suggests that something is amiss so you should have it checked out.

The lemon meringue looks absolutely divine Dizzy, so if you have a recipe I'd love to have it please!

It's just out of guarantee, Merkin, but I'm thinking the oven's ok now because I've done some cooking today and it's been fine.
    I think it might have been my fault for taking the dish out a bit too often to stir it, so in reality, the chicken probably didn't have the full time I quoted.

I'm sorry for derailing the thread and getting people wound up, it wasn't my intention. Like someone said, my appetite for the chicken went but I still wanted something for dinner, hence my visit to the chipper.
    Anyway, I apologise and here's to more dinner chat and pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm sorry for derailing the thread and getting people wound up, it wasn't my intention.

I don't think you derailed the thread! You had chippers for dinner because chicken completely trolled you. That's practically the thread title.

Last night I had eggs on toast and poisoned myself with salt. Then when I was making them I had a flashback to making a slice of fried bread with an egg in the middle in a Pinot Noir influenced dipso-fit on Friday night. Forgot about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

I managed to take a photo a mere 2 bites into my dinner - mainly to document the increasing perfection of my baked sweet potato fries!
    Sirloin steak with quick n'easy bernaise sauce (best find from this thread by a very long country mile). Spinach salad.
    0f2ad3cd-8be8-436a-afcf-09b0484d8c4b.jpg

I'm sorry for derailing the thread and getting people wound up, it wasn't my intention.

You didn't do anything wrong missus! :)

Tonight we had Singapore noodles. Unfortunately I only had fresh prawns (rather than dried) and no pork, so it was less than authentic. It was spicy and delicious nonetheless.

2i2a83s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Dipdip those prawns look amazing. So plump and juicy looking.

Marks and Spencers finest. Sadly I don't live near a fishmonger. Pity as I love fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

dipdip wrote: »
    Tonight we had Singapore noodles. Unfortunately I only had fresh prawns (rather than dried) and no pork, so it was less than authentic. It was spicy and delicious nonetheless.

What's the secret to keeping the noodles separate? I'm at the point where I'm cooking the noodles, shocking them in cold water, drying them in a clean tea towel, nuking them, then adding them to my wok. I manage to get a decent noodle dish like this, but it can't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Ooh how did you do that chicken?

Had it in the fridge all day, chopped up and sitting in a marinade. Then fried it in a tiny bit of oil and threw in the par boiled broccoli. Marinade was a miss mash but it was delicious! 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp of tomato puree, squeeze of Garlic and Ginger, little bit of dried cayenne pepper, and then enough soy sauce to get it a bit runny. Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last nights dinner was a salad of leaves, vine roast tomatoes, goats cheese, hazelnuts, grated fresh horseradish and a lot of rare fillet of beef finished on the bbq.

Minder wrote: »
    What's the secret to keeping the noodles separate? I'm at the point where I'm cooking the noodles, shocking them in cold water, drying them in a clean tea towel, nuking them, then adding them to my wok. I manage to get a decent noodle dish like this, but it can't be that difficult.

I have had a hard time with this also when prepping them from dry. The most effective method I've tried is soaking them for 40 seconds in boiling water, then draining in a colander for 30 minutes or so, tossing every few minutes so that they don't clump.

I got these ones however pre-softened in M&S. They are still a little stiff when they come out of the packet. I dressed them with chilli, soy, rice wine vinegar and curry powder before adding them to the wok at the last stage of cooking. It worked perfectly but they are a convenience food I admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭dmc17

dipdip wrote: »
    Tonight we had Singapore noodles.

Looks good. Any chance of the recipe :)

dmc17 wrote: »
    Looks good. Any chance of the recipe :)

Not a recipe as such, but something thrown together.

Stir together a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a couple of tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, a teaspooon of curry powder, some dried chlli flakes and a teaspoon of sugar. Take some softened vermicelli noodles (I used ready-to-heat noodles from M&S) and dress them with this sauce. Set aside.

Heat a little light olive oil in a pan. Mince 4 cloves of garlic. Add the garlic to the oil and 100g approx of raw prawns per person. Stir fry for just 3 minutes or so until pink and curled. Set aside.

Chop some ginger, chilli and whatever stir fry vegetables you have. We used pak choi, beansprouts, red pepper, baby corn and scallions. Stir fry for a minute or so in a hot wok. Move to the side of the wok and pour in a beaten egg. Allow to almost set, then scramble, and mix with the veg.

Add the prawns and dressed noodles to the wok and stir well to combine. Add a little more soy sauce to taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Mashed potatoes, carrots, sliced chicken brest with curry sauce on top. Batch loaf and Tae ! I need bread with everything, I even make cabbage sambos.
    There is nothing you could put on a plate that I wouldn't put between 2 slices of (fresh) batch with butter, None of that dairy spread nonsense !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

You can actually smell the guilt I feel over my weekend's over consumption of Lindt and toast off this dinner. A bowl of mainly green things, spinach, green beans, peas, avocado, courgette & quorn pieces with chili, coconut milk and a little peanut butter.

8e8f8d38-93af-45ad-a8c7-49391d71a4a9_zps4e102bf9.jpg

• Advertisement

You can actually smell the guilt I feel over my weekend's over consumption of Lindt and toast off this dinner. A bowl of mainly green things, spinach, green beans, peas, avocado, courgette & quorn pieces with chili, coconut milk and a little peanut butter.

Wish I could be happy with Rabbit food. I love green but not a plate of green !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

All that delicious fat, I'd love a bowl of that right now.

I had leftover chicken, rasher an broccoli salad (all leftovers) and a large dollop of mayo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Himself has man-flu so I made the the obligatory chicken stew. Not my favourite dinner though, and thanks to the "How Do You Like Your Steak" thread I'm starving now :(

Himself has man-flu so I made the the obligatory chicken stew. Not my favourite dinner though, and thanks to the "How Do You Like Your Steak" thread I'm starving now :(
    That reminds me of Sheldon. The obligatory hot beverage when someone is upset !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Quick beef and broccoli stir fry noodles. :)

b66fd5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had the Hairy Dieters Fisherman's Pie. It was delicious. Want to make it again immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »

And it's not.
    Soak them in cold water for an hour; it will soften a bit but not all the way, to which you need to cook it in the wok a little longer than a flash stir fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minced pork, aubergine and tofu hotpot. Served with white Thai rice.
    Onion, celery, pork mince, ginger, garlic, chilli, preserved black beans, chicken stock, rice wine, soy sauce, cornflour,aubergine, green beans, tofu, spring onions, sesame oil.

76eN4A.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I cooked beef short rib for 72 hours Sous Vide. I was a bit meh about the meat on its own but used the juices left in the bag and reduced them a little in a pan with a little salt and pepper then took the meat off the bone and had it on top of mash with the reduced sauce and it was lovely. Not sure its worth 72 hours of waiting though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Sunday it was honey roasted ham with cabbage and garlic potatoes. And later a panini with the ham, lactose free cheese, chipotle sauce, onion and sun dried tomatoes.

Yesterday it was cabbage parcels filled with rice, bacon, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms. With a broccoli and cauliflower bake.

Today it will be quiche with sun dried tomatoes, broccoli, onion, bacon, peppers and chicken, with a ceaser salad.

I know I'm obsessed with sin dried tomatoes. :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement