Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not last night but a few days before Christmas.
    Chicken and veg steamed suet pudding with savoy cabbage.

4EfqF3.jpg

7gpkvk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Finally got around to making Xmas dinner.
    Turkey, stuffing, ham with honey and mustard glaze, cranberry sauce, mash, roast potato, Brussels sprouts, and carrots and cauliflower baked in white sauce and cheese.

My eyes were definitely bigger than my tummy cause I didn't even get half way through it but it was unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After the splurge, a light veg stew.

21mdhdw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

And the garlic bread is just a table decoration.

Riiiiight...

(Looks yummy :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I'm sitting on the couch drinking bubbly while my wunderbar husband-to-be is in the kitchen cooking spiced beef, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, roast carrots, steamed broccoli and gravy. We've never had spiced beef before (is it a country thing maybe?) so we're intrigued. Fingers crossed we enjoy it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Jamie Oliver's cream cracker, lemon, coriander, garlic chicken goujons, veg skewers in a honey, lemon, soy sauce and garlic marinade. Coleslaw and potato salad on the side.

Nice and quick but lovely and tasty too.

New Years resolution is to cook from scratch way more often, starting early haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Really delicious roast lamb shank, roasties done in goose fat, narrowest peas, steamed carrots, stuffing balls and Yorkshire puddings (didn't make these myself!)

BA6F55FE-66BA-45F9-9BE8-9206A4B4E51A_zpsdlgtvqbf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight we will be having baked camembert & crusty bread followed by a chorizo & chickpea stew with cod. Until my partner gets back from work I am amusing myself with Aperol Spritz and my favourite food movie (possibly my favourite movie entirely)

fd12cd19-8b51-485c-ba4c-f982ca467a12_zps775e877d.jpg

220px-Waitress.jpg

Nathan Fillion, amazing pies, general cleverness & fizzy booze. Good evening for MissF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We hate going out on New Years Eve!

Duck breast with a red wine jus, potato gratin, green beans in garlic and peas.

F6A4A73B-67C2-49EA-9B1A-0192C6101B03_zpsipcbz89i.jpg

Followed by, what I think is my favourite desert, Crepe Suzette (flames had just gone out when photo was taken)

C3485674-1461-4E14-930C-FDB086337BEB_zpszscwtopg.jpg

The good thing about food is that it gets better with every year!

Happy New Year Foodies, tomorrow is always another meal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Really delicious roast lamb shank, roasties done in goose fat, narrowest peas, steamed carrots, stuffing balls and Yorkshire puddings (didn't make these myself!)

Are these the opposite of broad beans? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bought some Sushi in Avoca earlier. And I got a few bottles of vintage Cave in M&S last month, it was a steal at €10 per bottle, usual price €21. I would have put it up here about the bargain, but I bought all the bottles they had. Hardly a bargain, if it's all sold out!

D4166CA626DA49AB954EEE5BE0CD8432-0000324795-0003470104-00800L-31D603848DE14D0BA3D4CE4049D641B3.jpg

Happy new year foodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Takeaway fish & chips last night to say good riddance to 2013.
    I'll be kicking off 2014 with a lamb, cauliflower & chickpea vindaloo.
    Bring it on!

Happy New Year folks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We went with a roast chicken with all the trimmings last night. We're not ones for New Years so it suited us perfectly to do something low key and satisfying.

Happy new year everyone! Here's to all the lovely food we shall be enjoying in 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Happy New Year with health and prosperity to all!

Had people in last night so lots of finger food early on with so dinner so to speak. Had planned for anyone staying late (ish) though and roasted a small pork loin and served it in crispy rolls with coleslaw. It went down well and saved several heads no doubts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Are these the opposite of broad beans? ;)

They're peas with amazing slimming properties!

Last night before heading to the messiest NYE party ever, we enjoyed a baked ham, potato gratin (not alone with this I see) and some steamed veg to cut the richness. Dessert was leftover chocolates and a vat of Cava.

The happiest of new years to you all. I really, really enjoy this forum. It's the sweetest place on boards. Thanks everyone. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had chicken paprikash with rice last night, and there's a shin beef stew in the slow cooker for tonight.

A very happy New Year to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I actually managed to stay awake for midnight last night. Was up like a lark though & had another batch of giblet soup & tonight's curry made before breakfast. I'm a Domestic God! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

My new slow cooker had it's maiden voyage with venison casserole, had it with mashed spuds and Brussels sprouts. Was yum with a glass of cheap red from aldi :)
    Love this thread. Definitely going to try sparks pulled pork recipe in slow cooker very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I actually managed to stay awake for midnight last night. Was up like a lark though & had another batch of giblet soup & tonight's curry made before breakfast. I'm a Domestic God! :p

Managed to stay up too for the first time in year (auld an all that!). Party finished at around 11ish so cleaned up and watched the RTE do the countdown and then headed to the bed.

Getting a butterflied leg of lamb ready for tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Roast duck, roast carrots and parsnips, with finely sliced green cabbage sauteed in a little duck fat. I got the duck spot on for the first time ever :o lovely crisp skin and juicy meat with just the right amount of fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Bacon, cabbage and mash for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Last night I had a petrol station chicken salad sandwich in the car while rushing from work to a party. Then a shameful amount of curry chips at 3am. Tonight I'm having roast lamb with roast spuds, washed down with Dioralyte. Good times. Happy New Year to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Spiced beef, lumper potatoes, Brussels sprouts and an excellent white onion sauce for us tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Last night was spent in Independent Pizza Drumcondra, Where a large smokey joe pizza was consumed ! Total Meat Feast with BBQ sauce Yum. I had Mrs finix and 2 hungry teenagers in tow, and with starters and desserts beer and coffees thrown in, Under 90 euro ! I left there happy !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tonight we had slow cooked rabbit. My first time cooking a whole animal, which had to be jointed and de-offaled.

It turned out great but wasn't quite as tender as I expected, I took my eye off it for two minutes and let it boil briefly before I transferred it from hob to oven.

286850.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

finix wrote: »
    Last night was spent in Independent Pizza Drumcondra, Where a large smokey joe pizza was consumed ! Total Meat Feast with BBQ sauce Yum. I had Mrs finix and 2 hungry teenagers in tow, and with starters and desserts beer and coffees thrown in, Under 90 euro ! I left there happy !

Was anyone in Milano's over Christmas? They had a pulled pork with crackling pizza on their special Christmas menu that was one of the best pizzas I've ever tasted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

hardCopy wrote: »
    Tonight we had slow cooked rabbit. My first time cooking a whole animal, which had to be jointed and de-offaled.

It turned out great but wasn't quite as tender as I expected, I took my eye off it for two minutes and let it boil briefly before I transferred it from hob to oven.

<pic snip>
    Poor Coinin !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight we had a tapas-esque dinner - a lazy version though as it's been that kinda day. :)

The star of the show was the gambas pil pil (garlicky chilli oily prawns), with tomato salad with raspberry balsamic vinegar, hummus and goats cheese with honey, all eaten with warm ciabatta toasts.

Eaten on the sofa with a glass of Marlborough SB in front of an episode of Seinfeld. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Had family over for dinner today, so was racing around all day yesterday and all last night getting things prepared for today. Slept in late at the ex boyfriends today though so it was major panic stations all afternoon but thankfully all was under control by the time people got here.

To start, I stuck with homemade potato and leek soup. Simmered it last night, left it overnight, simmered it today before adding the cooking cream and blended it and it was amazing.

For main course, there was roast beef and a rack of lamb so everyone had a choice. Roast beef was a big hit, which was just an after thought as I was looking for a leg of lamb to get yesterday but there was none to be found. Am actually delighted that I went with two choices. Both were delicious. Roasted the beef with red wine and onion in the tray too and when I took it out and carved it, drizzled the jus over it.

There were Yorkshire puddings, Brussels sprouts, peas, carrots and cauliflower (carrots and cauliflower baked with white sauce and cheese) mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and a red wine gravy.

Dessert was a cheesecake from the cooking club. Baileys and malteasers, altered the recipe slightly just to suit our own taste, (used baileys cream instead of normal whipped cream as well as a shot of baileys). There was not a sachet of gelatine to be got anywhere in gown yesterday so I had to go without, but it was gorgeous anyway, so creamy and tasty, gelatine wasn't missed anyway. I decorated the top with lindor chocolates.

Also made a sherry trifle but that hasn't been tasted yet as the cheesecake was the star of the show.

Dinner was served with merlot and Chardonnay. I am currently panned out on the dogs couch not able to move myself into a more comfortable position.

Day was a major success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Went to the rellies last night and drove the family home after the party. Abed by 3am and feeling jaded today so we had sofa, films and homemade pizza while the wind and rain battered the house. Not the most thrilling New Years Day but special all the same as it just the 4 of us, warm and safe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement