Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

herisson wrote: »
    Yesterday it was cabbage parcels filled with rice, bacon, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms.

Hi,

How did you make that - sounds divine!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I made a "mexican lasagna". Cooked up two tins of chili kidney beans with a tin of chopped tomatoes and a packet of fajita seasoning, then layered it in a dish with tortillas and cheeeeeeeese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

Loire.

+ fifty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Rew wrote: »
    I cooked beef short rib for 72 hours Sous Vide. I was a bit meh about the meat on its own but used the juices left in the bag and reduced them a little in a pan with a little salt and pepper then took the meat off the bone and had it on top of mash with the reduced sauce and it was lovely. Not sure its worth 72 hours of waiting though.

What temperature did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

d8ba946d-e0a7-4f76-9e7a-36fd0d4476ce_zps35410c16.jpg

Fish pie.

Mixed bag of fish (hake, cod, salmon, little bit of smoked mackerel) poached in salted milk, made a bechamel using the milk and a heap of freshly ground nutmeg, topped with mashed made using butter and egg and passes through a fine sieve so it's super smooth. Little bit of red chedder and bung in the oven until golden and crisp. First fish pie, first of many of they all taste this nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Yesterday it was cabbage parcels filled with rice, bacon, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms.

T :o

These are so tasty-The boss makes them with pork mince and tomato sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I know I'm obsessed with sin dried tomatoes. :o

Sin dried? Ooh-er! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Minder wrote: »
    What temperature did you use?

62 degrees C

Wjf5NV5B.jpg Ysk5DoaR.jpg yqvEAqkx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Decided to try something different on the curry front tonight and made a beetroot and beef curry http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2872688/beef-and-beetroot-curry

It had a 5 star rating but was horrible. :(

Whoever decided to put treacle into a curry should be shot!

50pdmg.jpg

Quesadilla with home-made salsa and a dollop of sour cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

First time making a crust-less quiche. Very nice fridge roundup of slightly "soft" veg - spinach, tomatoes, shallots. A few rashers, half a log of not-very-nice Lidl goat's cheese, with eggs, milk, a spoon of mustard and loads of nutmeg and black pepper. Put it all in a non stick cake tin, 15 mins in oven, and wow, so good.
    Much nicer than my usual omelette/tortilla made in a frying pan.

2014-03-11203325.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Baked potatoes, broccoli, roast chicken breast and parmesan polenta parsnip chips which didn't turn out as crispy as I'd hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pork chops marinated in soy, honey & vinegar. Burnt in butter & oil on a hot griddle, sliced into corn with corn & peas with soy, lime, coriander, avocado & peanut butter

5bd4de15-60cf-4d17-ab99-9494902e409d_zpsea08520e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pork chops marinated in soy, honey & vinegar. Burnt in butter & oil on a hot griddle, sliced into corn with corn & peas with soy, lime, coriander, avocado & peanut butter

Do I spy a cheeky beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

One of my favourite and one of the cheapest meals you can make... Fried rice with pork belly. It also keeps quite well and is easy to use as lunch in work or a reheated dinner... It's even delicious cold in warm weather!

Boil about 2 big cereal bowls worth of rice (because as Mitch Hedberg said, rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something) in lightly salted water. Be very careful not to overcook. Drain, run under cold water and leave to drain again.

While you're doing that, grill 4 chicken fillets. Lob them in the food processor after until they are completely ground up. Put in some salt and a lot of black pepper and blend again. Then more salt and pepper and blend once more.

Mix 4 eggs in a bowl and put in a pan or work on high heat for 1 minute or so, stirring violently throughout with a fork (not a wooden spoon) so the back end is running along the pan to keep breaking up the egg. Remove when it's nearly full cooked but not quite... It should be a bit goopy still.

Run an onion through a cheese grater to get it Really fine, put in a wok or pan with some oil on med/high heat. Get a bag of mixed frozen veg (or fresh if money isn't an issue) and a pack of mushrooms (cut in half, then halved again into quarters) and Lob them in with the onion after a minute or two. Put in another glug or 2 of oil... don't worry about any excess liquids. Keep stirring and after 5-10 mins, remove. Frozen veg like carrots should be soft through and mushrooms should be fully cooked.

Turn the wok up full hest until there is smoke coming from the oil. Get a really sharp knife and cut a pork belly into 1-2cm cubes depending on how chunky you like your... Err... Never mind. Aaaanyway, once chopped, throw them on the pan/wok and keep tossing about until they are a little burned on the fatties parts. Put in a bowl, take them out by spoon so some of the fatty juice remains but no grease, use a generous amount of pepper, some salt and a good few squirts of lime juice, shake about a little and leave aside.

Turn the heat back down just a small bit to med/high. Add the rice back in with a good bit of oil and allow sizzle for a few minutes, then add a small dash of soy sauce... THIS IS ONE THING TO BE CAREFUL WITH! About 2tsp will turn your rice a nice darkish colour, anymore and it will look black and odd... It just keeps spreading and spreading more than you would imagine.

Next add in the ground chicken and site it in. Then the egg mix... plus 2 raw eggs, and stir until well combined. The precooked egg gives those lovely lumps, the raw eggs 'glue' the rice and chicken together. Add the veg back in and stir it all together for 5 mins until it's all a good heat and we'll mixed. Any excess juices fro. The veg earlier can go in too... The rice will soak it up and it gives more depth of flavour.

Finally, add the pork on top (the lime juice makes a huge difference) and again, any excess juices poor in too. Keep the pork in the oven at 100 degrees if you are worried about it going cold, but I haven't had a problem with this myself. The rice is roaring hot, so having the pork slightly cooler but still warm/hot offset each other nicely.

This will make enough to feed a small army, so feel free to use smaller measures! Keeps well though and hugely versatile.

End result...

20140311_220644.jpg

20140311_220704.jpg

20140311_220726.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Lemon & Garlic Roast chicken served with butter beans in a honey bbq sauce, kale & roast toms.

FDA239F6-2486-48B6-89AD-84CF3C6CA3E5_zpsuq9ffdpp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

Loire.
    + fifty

Sorry just getting back, first time near my laptop in days.

I got the recipe from here. Im actually terrible for following recipes so i didnt use syrup of any kind. I followed cooking instructions, everything else i kinda went on a tangent haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The other thread got me running to the butchers immediately for a good piece of shteak - strip loin medium rare, sauteed onion, fried egg and chips. I didn't have enough oil to fry the chips so I threw them in the oven after nuking them till soft inside. Not bad actually. Not the same, but certainly not bad.

8 for dinner and a movie (a classic - Jurassic Park!). Posh macaroni and cheese, with red onion and smoked pancetta, topped with golden breadcrumbs. Spinach, rocket and cucumber salad dressed with cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and wholegrain mustard, topped with crumbled cranberry stilton. Home-made ciabatta, spread with garlic butter and toasted in a warm oven. Gooey chocolate orange brownies and ice cream.

We replaced our hand blender recently so I've got that 'new gadget' thing going on where I find myself squinting at random ingredients every time I cook going "Could I.....blend it.... den den dennnnnnnn".

Normally grate onion to go into meatballs but today I blitzed an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic into liquid and mixed it with my mince. FAIL. Too much onion gloop, too little mince. I have created a meatball so soft you could spread it on toast and, because I was using too much onion in the first place to the amount of mince I had, it tasted Not Good. A baked onion puree with a little mince. I'm not a fan of food that's softer than it should be. The crispy cheese on top was nice though!

52d77ff6-a171-4bf4-98e1-108522a8fcb3_zps05845d88.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Wholemeal pasta carbonara. Tried it for the first time with just egg yolks, instead of whole eggs. Wasn't too impressed, so threw in the whites.
    For the first time ever, I put in "other stuff": a few leftover, destined-for-the-bin shallots, and it was actually quite nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Had some leftover roast chicken today, so I cooked some onions, garlic and loads of chestnut mushrooms in butter. Put them to one side and reduced down some chicken stock, added cream, added back the mushrooms etc and the cooked chicken and heated it all back up. Served with some very fancy-shaped pasta from Aldi's Specially Selected range. It was savage! I've started to really enjoy chestnut mushrooms recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks to the 'Steak' thread I went & got myself a 450g entrecôte this evening. I also picked up a few marrow bones for roasting as a starter. Then a crisis kicked off with work which involved a couple of extra-curricular meetings & several G&Ts. Dinner is now in the freezer for next week, it ended up as a potato & leek Cup a Soup & now time for bed. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thanks to the 'Steak' thread I went & got myself a 450g entrecôte this evening. I also picked up a few marrow bones for roasting as a starter. Then a crisis kicked off with work which involved a couple of extra-curricular meetings & several G&Ts. Dinner is now in the freezer for next week, it ended up as a potato & leek Cup a Soup & now time for bed. :(

I did something similar except not diversions.... :D 450g ribeye, celeriac mash, potato fondant and sautéed wild mushrooms

omAY3rmJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just look at all that lovely blood! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night I used up the remainder of the roast lemon & garlic chicken....I made a risotto with hickory bacon, red onion, garlic, tomatoes, peas, passata, thyme, S&P, worcestershire sauce, puree & leftover chicken stock.

E961772D-9EAE-465B-A47F-5994F6D6E9A1_zpsb8lktpp3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Staying with friends while I look for a new place (something something Dublin rental market rage) so in an attempt to keep them sweet I cooked last night.

Fried garlic-marinated pork chops (from Fresh in Smithfield) til they were nicely browned and tasty-lookin'. Threw in some red onion and a wee chilli, and a tin of chopped tomatoes and left it simmer away. Stir fried a heap of mushies, cherry toms and broccoli with plenty of seasoning. Served with slices of a delish tomato bread loaf.

It. Was. Unreal. They woulda thought I was weird if I had taken a pic but it looked as good as it tasted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

No problem :), although I did change it quite a bit.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2209/italianstyle-beef-stew

I took out the olives, added in red pepper, chickpeas, some hot sauce, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.

It wasn't overly spicy just had a little after kick to the flavour.
    I made this yesterday, it was lovely! :)

• Advertisement

(something something Dublin rental market rage)

I'm sorry for your troubles. House hunting in Dublin last year drove me to talking to myself in the streets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement