Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Kurumba wrote: »
    Long time lurker here and first pic. All the steak talk has made us all steak mad! 3 guesses what was on the menu tonight .. One of the two x €5.99 striploins from lidl. Nice bit of steak for the price.

Your dinner looks looks scrummy, can I ask what kind of peppercorn sauce you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

cofy wrote: »
    Your dinner looks looks scrummy, can I ask what kind of peppercorn sauce you used?

I was feeling lazy last night because i'm smothered with a cold so just used a packet sauce. It wasn't great to be honest but when i'm not being lazy i love this one by delia:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/meat/steak/entrecote-steak-with-creme-fraiche-and-cracked-pepper-sauce.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I'm sorry for your troubles. House hunting in Dublin last year drove me to talking to myself in the streets.

Bad sign when you start talking to yourself however at least you will always get the right answer!! My kids look at me a bit funny when I start taking photos of our dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I know I'm always banging on about and posting pics of them but I just love chicken thighs fried and grilled with wine or beer.

This time with lemon zest and thyme. Served with some of the warm bean salad from previous night and wilted spinach with lemon and nutmeg.

7AkFBm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know I'm always banging on about and posting pics of them but I just love chicken thighs fried and grilled with wine or beer.

This time with lemon zest and thyme. Served with some of the warm bean salad from previous night and wilted spinach with lemon and nutmeg.

You must go through tons of chicken...you eat so much of it!

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    You must go through tons of chicken...you eat so much of it!

JUst the cheap bits:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Have homemade cheeseburgers on.

The mince has garlic and paprika and little it of Parmesan mixed in. the middle of the pattys have a slice of cheese in the middle of it.

we have baps toasting, sweet potato fries in the oven, mushrooms and onions frying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Long time lurker here and first pic. All the steak talk has made us all steak mad! 3 guesses what was on the menu tonight .. One of the two x €5.99 striploins from lidl. Nice bit of steak for the price.

Yet more steak! Steak salad here with a lemony dressing reminiscent of béarnaise.

282qgd5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Frying pan of smoked streaky bacon, red onion, mushroom, garlic, potatoes topped with an egg, cheese and spring onion.

298763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Lovely rare striploin steak! With homemade brown bread and no veg, such laziness!

• Advertisement

I had oven chips, home-made chicken goujons and beans..A kids' meal really but we enjoyed it and it's nice not having to do much on a Saturday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

fiddlechic wrote: »

Today, I made steak, with easy bernaise]

Thanks to the 'Steak' thread I went & got myself a 450g entrecôte this evening.(
    Rew wrote: »
    I did something similar except not diversions.... :D 450g ribeye, celeriac mash, potato fondant and sautéed wild mushrooms
    what with all this talk of steak.....
    I had a pan fried flat iron steak from Lidl. Very tasty piece of meat and very cheap too. Just dressed lettuce and tomatoes with it.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    You'll never in a million billion years guess what I bought and am going to have for dinner today?

Steak.
    2 Striploin steaks in Lidl for €5.99! I know where i'm going after work :pac:
    misslt wrote: »
    I am absolutely having steak this weekend. himself is hoping for friday (:p) but we shall see.
    fiddlechic wrote: »
    Steak here too! ....
    3 steaks in 5 days.
    dee_mc wrote: »
    Lovely rare striploin steak! With homemade brown bread and no veg, such laziness!

Alright Bord Bia, we kept our end of the bargain, ye can make with the freebies now. I want a Mini with a fresian paint job, thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Tonight was Mc Cains skinny oven chips, 2 Mogerlys steak and kidney pies with a pan of slow fried onions SMOTHERED with BBQ sauce and vinegar. To say it was delicious is an understatement ! No room for the Batch ! The Forgotton mug of Tepid Coffee also hit the spot when I found it an hour later !:)

finix wrote: »
    Tonight was Mc Cains skinny oven chips, 2 Mogerlys steak and kidney pies with a pan of slow fried onions SMOTHERED with BBQ sauce and vinegar. To say it was delicious is an understatement ! No room for the Batch ! The Forgotton mug of Tepid Coffee also hit the spot when I found it an hour later !:)

Those pies are lovely aren't they? Love the pastry :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

fussyonion wrote: »
    Those pies are lovely aren't they? Love the pastry :)
    Indeed and only a euro each in Dunnes at the moment ! Today I went mad and got 10 steak and kidney, 5 minced beef and 5 chicken and mushroom and a packet of skins (Rizla) 20.55 please Sir ! I also am partial to the tinned pies also but they take too long :confused:

Alright Bord Bia, we kept our end of the bargain, ye can make with the freebies now. I want a Mini with a fresian paint job, thanks.

THere was more than that!!:D:D

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    The other thread got me running to the butchers immediately for a good piece of shteak - strip loin medium rare, sauteed onion, fried egg and chips. I didn't have enough oil to fry the chips so I threw them in the oven after nuking them till soft inside. Not bad actually. Not the same, but certainly not bad.

Well those flat iron steaks did come in a pack of two and Mrs Beer is away so.....
    Pan fried flat iron steak; a slice of McCarthy's white pudding; warm salad of baby broad beans, soya beans and peas (M&S frozen mix) with onion, tomato concasse and plenty of vinaigrette; a small bit of fried onion.
    Since everyone has been going steak crazy figured I'd join in :).

Sweet potato coated in cayenne pepper and smoked paprika with olive oil, Asparagus coated in garlic and chilli powder and a sirloin steak :).
    Minder wrote: »
    Had a vague compulsion that steak would be good tonight. Sirloin, sous vide at 50c, then flash fried across a searingly hot pan in the garden. Seasonings were japanese shichimi togarashi and loads of salt. Thinly sliced beef with salads and pickles in flat bread wraps.
    Yet more steak! Steak salad here with a lemony dressing reminiscent of béarnaise.

Mrs Beer is a lucky woman!! Does she know where the cooker is?.

gjc wrote: »
    Mrs Beer is a lucky woman!!Does she know where the cooker is?.

There's a lot of lucky partners associated with this thread;)

Mrs Beer does cook too but if I have the time, I like to do it and that suits her fine.
    And a fine cook she is too!

THere was more than that!!:D:D

D'oh! Yeah, we're definitely owed. I'll put together a spreadsheet and send it on now

I love this thread thank you boardsies for brightening up my days!! It's my daily fix!

• Advertisement

I had left over chicken thigh meat from the other night so I sliced it and fried it a bit, then added in what jus was left and reduced it to nothing to coat the chicken in sticky yummyness. I had some in a wholemeal Med wrap with mustard leaves and Frank's hotsauce and the rest in a wrap with some wilted spinach and some amazing chilli pickle that was leftover from my lunch in Iyer's that I got put in a little tub. The spinach and pickle one was really, really tasty.

6UBTh9.jpg

7BTnrq.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We have a few visitors for dinner today so I'm cooking a leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, and a stuffed chickenwith a lemon and garlic rub. with roast potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, and apple sauce (my daughters insist on it when there's stuffing!).
    I've made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble for dessert.
    I got fierce excited when I found lovely pink rhubarb in the supermarket yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Had a nearly identical to you lunch here with my parents, Dizzyblonde.
    Roast leg of lamb. Mint sauce and gravy. Gratin dauphinois (that I made with some out of date today philadelphia and creme fraiche and 5 cloves of garlic - yummy!). Roast peppers, squash, parsnips and celeriac. Green beans with chilli and garlic.

Dessert - the garden just about yielded enough rhubarb for a tart. And I just about made enough pastry to cover the pie dish. And we just about ate it all with homemade custard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lamb Kleftiko in the oven, it'll be ready in 1.5 hours and smells yum already! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

We have a few visitors for dinner today so I'm cooking a leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic, and a stuffed chickenwith a lemon and garlic rub. with roast potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and broccoli, and apple sauce (my daughters insist on it when there's stuffing!).
    I've made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble for dessert.
    I got fierce excited when I found lovely pink rhubarb in the supermarket yesterday :)

Anyone roasting a chicken please try this the lemon and garlic really gets into the meat it takes two seconds and improves the taste of the chicken outright i mean it will make even the cheapest chicken taste extraordinary,Also the juice will make the zingiest tastiest gravy you will ever eat.

Beer revolu - can you expand on mustard leaves what are they and where to you buy them are they a bog standard salad leaf.... I've never had them so excuse the ignorance .....god I'm drooling after seeing those pics!!!! I might have to give this sinful thread up for lent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

BBQ weather again, so this evening we had tandoori chicken thighs; grilled asparagus with ras al hanout; quinoa with toasted pumpkin & sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and a little dill; salad of spinach leaves, grilled figs and goats cheese, dressed with a little almond oil and some chestnut honey. Couple of Singha beers to wash it down.

gjc wrote: »
    Beer revolu - can you expand on mustard leaves what are they and where to you buy them are they a bog standard salad leaf.... I've never had them so excuse the ignorance .....god I'm drooling after seeing those pics!!!! I might have to give this sinful thread up for lent!!!

It's a spicy leaf we have in the garden. Not seen it for sale but it grows well most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had prawn laksa with lots of veg. Absolutely delicious but very very spicy!

IMAG1504_zpsa9853ffb.jpg

• Advertisement

It's a spicy leaf we have in the garden. Not seen it for sale but it grows well most of the year.

Scuse the silly question but is it the same stuff you'd grow beside your cress in your baby infants eggshell & cotton? If so I used to really enjoy eating that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement