Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight we'll be having my mum's glazed bacon and cabbage, with mash and parsley sauce. There'll be fights for the crispy bits of bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Lasagne side salad bish bash bosh no way of fancying up this one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

gjc wrote: »
    Lasagne side salad bish bash bosh no way of fancying up this one !

The candles and crystal do that for you nicely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Going Hungarian tonight with Paprikas Csirke, served with steamed rice.

IMG-1394994418095-V_zps7ftnacjq.jpg

I bought one of those sort of pre-cooked M&S joints. It was a brisket that claimed to have been slow-cooked already for 6 hours. All I had to do was pop it in the oven for 40 minutes and enjoy the benefits of a roast beef dinner without all the basting and waiting.

I prepped my roast potatoes and veg and awaited with hungry glee.

However the crumbly boot leather that I carved up 40 minutes later was drastically over-seasoned - serious amounts of both salt and pepper. Too much salt made it difficult to hold in the mouth at all, and the amount of pepper made it actually hot and spicy. It was rotten.

Lesson learned. No short cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Had Rick Stein's lemony sausages and potatoes.

298897.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

With my mam for a couple of days so for the weekend that's in it, ham, cabbage, pork, potatoes & carrots. Followed by raspberry ripple and apfel strudel

9BC99E80-DAB4-4C54-B1B0-AD1BF4CB3C15_zpsmwvacbjz.jpgB0D6DCB8-16D1-4942-8A8C-EBC377D69056_zpsbqleudfl.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mash, mixed veg, liver and Annascaul black pudding. And there's enough for tomorrow too. Iron overload.

B4922AB96C884328892B3CBE1C5442A9-0000324795-0003519107-00800L-F85FE626D48C4021AC192B24EA7ED708.jpg

Nice bowl Miss F!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Part 2 of dinner dessert sticky toffee pud ice cream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

It's a spicy leaf we have in the garden. Not seen it for sale but it grows well most of the year.

Looks very like a shiso or perilla herb. I'm sure they're not related, what's the flavour like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had Spaghetti Con Ricotta e Pinoli for dinner tonight. Veggy option but it was beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

beertons wrote: »
    Nice bowl Miss F!

Did you lift your plates from my Mam's kitchen? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Had chilli beef with noodles from the cooking club. Was gorgeous! I thought it would be too hot for me with two chillies as I tasted the marinade before adding the beef and it nearly burnt the mouth off me - but cooking it seemed to have brought down the heat and it was fab! I'm very glad there is leftovers to bring to work tomorrow :)

Did you lift your plates from my Mam's kitchen? :)

A gift from the mother in law. Got the side plates too. No bowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Going Hungarian tonight with Paprikas Csirke, served with steamed rice.

That looks tasty, recipe please if you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night we had a bit of an odd combo decided to do a boards cooking club night and went with two dishes that wouldn't really mix but said feck it. Both dishes were lovely we done the Bobotie and the Spinach & Riccota Gnochi.

SAM_0916_zps0edec256.jpg

Everytime I cook it makes me miss it more :o, hopefully soon enough we will find our own place house hunting is a right pain and be settled before the mini us arrives :).

That looks tasty, recipe please if you could?

Sure.

Paprikas Csirke (Chicken Paprikash)

4 chicken breasts on the bone, or legs
    Salt
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp oil
    3 large onion
    2 tbsp sweet paprika
    1 tbsp hot paprika
    Black pepper
    1-2 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup sour cream

Generously salt the chicken, set aside.
    Slice the onion finely.
    Heat a pan/casserole pot on medium high, melt butter and oil. Place chicken in skin side down, fry until golden for about 5 minutes. Flip and fry the other side for 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
    Add the onion into the same pan, sautee for about 7 minutes until soft and coloured.
    Add paprikas and black pepper, mix, then pour in chicken stock a bit at a time, deglazing the brown yummy bits off.
    Place the chicken on top of the sauce, turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 20-25 minutes with lid on.
    When chicken is cooked, remove from pan leaving the sauce, turn the heat off. Let it cool a little bit before stirring in the sour cream. Season to taste. Return the chicken to the pan and mix them with the sauce. Serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Scuse the silly question but is it the same stuff you'd grow beside your cress in your baby infants eggshell & cotton? If so I used to really enjoy eating that
    Minder wrote: »
    Looks very like a shiso or perilla herb. I'm sure they're not related, what's the flavour like?

I'm really not sure what they are:o
    WE've had them in the garden for years and they just keep growing and self seeding. I seem to remember them being an Asian leaf. THey are quite peppery but mustard/horseraddish hot rather than chilli/pepper hot. If I think of it, I'll take a pic of the plant later.

here it is:
    5i7pML.jpg

I think Dubl07 nailed it (in a pm)
    Looks like Japanese Giant Red Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We bought some pork loin in Lidl and himself cooked it in the slow cooker for about 18 hours in cider & bay leaves, then we shredded it. We split it between today's starter (below), a pork chilli and a pork & apple stew which will go into the freezer.

Starter for us today... homemade Vietnamese-style spring rolls with pork, spring onion, carrot, cucumber & spinach. Served with hoisin dipping sauce. Took me about an hour to make but was well worth it, we may have had some Kirs as well :)

Prepping the ingredients...

IMAG1505_zps40ceff31.jpg

And the finished product before it got devoured...

IMAG1508_zpsdcd4fdcf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I am going for dinner in a 5 star hotel today il post what I have later happy st patricks day peeps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm really not sure what they are:o
    WE've had them in the garden for years and they just keep growing and self seeding. I seem to remember them being an Asian leaf. THey are quite peppery but mustard/horseraddish hot rather than chilli/pepper hot. If I think of it, I'll take a pic of the plant later.

I think Dubl07 nailed it (in a pm)
    Looks like Japanese Giant Red Mustard

I googled the image and it looks like Ip Ssam Hong Chinese cabbage - what a great name!

http://palmraeurbanpotager.com/2012/11/10/fall-salads-from-your-backyard/ - 3rd photo down.

What with hankering for the homeland on this sunny Paddy's day, we settled on a traditional Irish meal for tonight's dinner.

jqhvlz.jpg

Gambas pil pil, loaded with chilli and garlic. Patatas bravas with home-made tomato sauce and home-made roast garlic aioli. Toasted ciabatta for mopping.

Just like my mammy used to make. :pac:

Tonight was slow cooked braised pulled beef and onion, with homemade coleslaw, in a bap. I had two. Might have another one later.

2014-03-17%2019.49.39_zps6wzkjkzw.jpg

Cooked this up earlier, when I was bored. Shepards pie, with a bisto sauce.

708EA35E4EC84A0797A5DD48BCA6AE6E-0000324795-0003520328-00800L-0639944EA6CF492793BCBEDAB3B950DE.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Goulash with spaetzle and a good dollop of sour cream. I've been meaning to make spaetzle for yonks. It was tasty, but given the effort involved, I probably won't bother again in a hurry.

goulash.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Interesting, oB. It's been on my 'to-make' list for ages now, but do you think it's not worth the effort?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Goulash with spaetzle and a good dollop of sour cream. I've been meaning to make spaetzle for yonks. It was tasty, but given the effort involved, I probably won't bother again in a hurry.

I was contemplating of making them when I had paprikas csirke last night; like you, it was something I've been meaning to make, but I settled for rice instead because I wasn't in a mood to grate fresh noodles.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Faith wrote: »
    Interesting, oB. It's been on my 'to-make' list for ages now, but do you think it's not worth the effort?
    No, I've no regrets. It's definitely worth trying. It's just a bit fiddly, is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made Baked Fettucine in a Meat Sauce for dinner tonight. Very tasty and loads left for dinner tomorrow. :)

Next time I make it I'll probably leave the meat sauce a tad wetter as the overall dish was just a bit dry.

299010.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Oh god maybe I should of ordered something fancier but hey I've seen better presented fish n chips done by me never mind " 5* " hotel like this was tasty but ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement