Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No offence, but that really doesn't look 5* at all! Even if they were trying to be ironic in some way, mushy peas and coleslaw is very pub grubbish at best! What did your dining partner have and was it of a similar standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Hey honestly was quite shocked myself himself had Guinness beef stew and it came in this massive bowl and there was nothing to it he was left hungry still what a disappointment and the money defo wasn't worth it he ordered a Guinness to drink also he said was terribly poured
    Merkin wrote: »
    No offence, but that really doesn't look 5* at all! Even if they were trying to be ironic in some way, mushy peas and coleslaw is very pub grubbish at best! What did your dining partner have and was it of a similar standard?

ellavin wrote: »
    Hey honestly was quite shocked myself himself had Guinness beef stew and it came in this massive bowl and there was nothing to it he was left hungry still what a disappointment and the money defo wasn't worth it he ordered a Guinness to drink also he said was terribly poured

Even the menu is very uninspired isn't it? Do you mind me asking where it was? If you'd prefer not to say, not to worry! It's just I love eating out and Im always left BEREFT if I get a disappointing meal!

I don't mind you asking atal it was lough eske castle in donegal I also love dining out and I was so excited but then disappointed because hes was so small and a lump of hard bread on side no vegetables. ....
    Even the menu is very uninspired isn't it? Do you mind me asking where it was? If you'd prefer not to say, not to worry! It's just I love eating out and Im always left BEREFT if I get a disappointing meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had fajitas last night!

( The wraps are in the tin-foil )
    2zpmesh.jpg

1zbrt47.jpg

• Advertisement

Solis Lough Eske? That's bad, especially considering how expensive it is. I had lunch there when it opened and it was fine but nothing special. I think if you pay a lot then the standard of food should be commensurate. Am disappointed for you!

Oh could you share recipe it looks amazing
    fussyonion wrote: »
    We had fajitas last night!

( The wraps are in the tin-foil )
    <pictures snipped>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh could you share recipe it looks amazing

Sure!

I used this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2048639/easy-chicken-fajitas

And added lettuce (butterhead lettuce but I realise I hate it and now will only buy iceberg), grated cheese, fresh tomatoes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A reminder not to quote pictures, thanks!

Yeah thats it .. and your paying quite a bit for standard fish n chips!! Not even tartar sauce ahh well stick to my gaslight for my fish n chips from now om ;)
    Solis Lough Eske? That's bad, especially considering how expensive it is. I had lunch there when it opened and it was fine but nothing special. I think if you pay a lot then the standard of food should be commensurate. Am disappointed for you!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that gonna try it tomorrow !
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Sure!

I used this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2048639/easy-chicken-fajitas

And added lettuce (butterhead lettuce but I realise I hate it and now will only buy iceberg), grated cheese, fresh tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Jaysus Ellavin - 5* hotel doesn't say 'coleslaw in a ramekin' to me, that must have been a really disappointing meal

Yeah it really was all round .. especially when the oh was looking forward to a "hearty Guinness beef stew and you'd think it was for a child with hard bread !! Terrible ..
    Jaysus Ellavin - 5* hotel doesn't say 'coleslaw in a ramekin' to me, that must have been a really disappointing meal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it really was all round .. especially when the oh was looking forward to a "hearty Guinness beef stew and you'd think it was for a child with hard bread !! Terrible ..

Just curious, but did you complain?

I didn't .. because I dunno what do I say? But I should a the portion himself got was terrible. .
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just curious, but did you complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I didn't .. because I dunno what do I say? But I should a the portion himself got was terrible. .

Well for starters (not actual starter) you said the bread was hard.

I'd like to think that I would've said something, but sure I'm Irish, and that means I would've just smiled and said 'that was lovely' when asked if everything was ok. Then I would've paid and left a tip and then spent the next 2 hours complaining to anybody that would listen to me. :o

Well for "starters ig was my oh who had had the bread problem he never even felt it until the quickly had finished his meal as hes was still hungry so personally if ut was me I would have but unfortunately he was a bit&$*#off as it was a surprise ..
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well for starters (not actual starter) you said the bread was hard.

I'd like to think that I would've said something, but sure I'm Irish, and that means I would've just smiled and said 'that was lovely' when asked if everything was ok. Then I would've paid and left a tip and then spent the next 2 hours complaining to anybody that would listen to me. :o

Also to add to that we are getting married and trying places out so the settings was amazing pity about experience. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 reachdev

Exactly what you have expressed here! Thank you for sharing the feedback.

So il follow with a dish of my own and I can promise itl be off 5* of that's what they call it lol my oh is looking forward to my dining experience tomorrow ha il post a picture
    reachdev wrote: »
    Exactly what you have expressed here! Thank you for sharing the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We had goulash aswell yesterday. For those who also read the Chat thread, well you know the story. :o

All methods suggested were used to save it...
    - potato was added
    - solids extracted & added to new sauce

Neither made any real difference I'm afraid. I would have had to individually wash every piece of beef, pepper & onion. :)

Anyway I served up & plates were cleared. Mrs B & I had a few dollops of yogurt to help with the heat. The Kids didn't bother, but used the spiciness as an excuse to ask for more 7up.

It wasn't half bad at the end of the day. Just really, really hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Focaccia with onions, garlic and rosemary.

facc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night I had grilled lamb chops w/ blackpudding served with a chesnut mushroom and leek tagliatelle in a creamy sauce.

Had it for lunch today at work so was able to get a snap.

DEC30829-502C-4439-A2F3-13DB983299BE_zpsctilbvqw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Overflow wrote: »
    Focaccia with onions, garlic and rosemary.[\quote]

Oh wow could you post the recipe please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

sillymoo wrote: »
    Oh wow could you post the recipe please?!

1kg Strong white flour
    12g dry yeast
    625ml warm water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 table spoons sea salt
    1/2 onion sliced
    1 teaspoon Rosemary
    4 cloves garlic
    Sea salt for topping

Add yeast, sugar, olive oil to luke warm water, let sit for a few minutes until its frothy at the top.

In a large bowl add your flour and 2 tables spoons of sea salt. Mix lightly. Make a well in the middle and add the yeast mixture into it.

Using a fork gradually mix in the flour until you have a lump of dough. Dont worry if its too sticky.

Flour a surface and empty the dough mixture onto it. Knead the dough for 5 mins, adding small amounts of flour (be careful not to add too much) until it does not stick to the counter anymore. The dough should feel fluffy and elastic.

Oil a large bowl and place the kneaded dough into it. Cover with a damp cloth and let sit for about 1 hour until it has doubled in size.

After its has doubled, empty the dough out onto a floured surface again. Gently press and stretch it down into a square shape that will fit a standard oven roasting tray. You dont want to flatten it too much, dont use a rolling pin !

Place a sheet of baking paper on the bottom of the tray and gently form the dough into it.

Use your fingers to make some indentations in the dough, then brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, onions, rosemary and roughly chopped garlic.

Bake on Gas mark 6/7 for 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Overflow wrote: »

Use your fingers to make some indentations in the dough, then brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, onions, rosemary and roughly chopped garlic.

Bake on Gas mark 6/7 for 20 mins.

It looks so beautiful. I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was sloppy feast of last night's braised pulled beef and onion, buffalo wings (me love you Frank's!), and refreshing celery sticks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,088 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I have gone to shepards pie heaven. How have I never mixed bisto in with the stock before. I could quite happily eat this every day. For now anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Oh god maybe I should of ordered something fancier but hey I've seen better presented fish n chips done by me never mind " 5* " hotel like this was tasty but ...
    That was only the Bar Menu, I always find the menu in the bar of a hotel just so so. I thought you ate in cedars grill, but you would pay double what the bar menu is, And That probably wouldn't be great either !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Last night we *finally* had steak :D

Two delicious fillet steaks, medium rare, homemade chunky chips (damn you deep fat fryer) and homemade pepper sauce, washed down with a fabulous rioja.

I was a very happy girly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement