Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

IMG-20140318-WA0021_zps707ff512.jpg

Chicken stuffed with goats cheese and basil, wrapped in parma ham, with fried potato cubes and mangetout, with tomato, mushroom and garlic sauce. Mother of God t'was delicious.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Forgot to take a pic, but I had a friend over who has never had spinach before (:eek:) so I made a sweet potato and spinach curry. Added in some chickpease and a handful of cherry tomatoes at the end. She absolutely loved it!! I boiled some baby potatoes too, then added them to the pan with some rapeseed oil, chilli powder, shallot and tomato purée. 'twas very, very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Went to vintage kitchen last night for first time, having wanted to go for ages.
    Great meal for 25euro: starter - duck leg, black pudding risotto. main - slow braised lamb shank, with root veg purée, and loads of roasted vegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Chicken stuffed with goats cheese and basil, wrapped in parma ham, with fried potato cubes and mangetout, with tomato, mushroom and garlic sauce. Mother of God t'was delicious.

Hi,

That looks really nice. How did you make the sauce?

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had the rest of last week's minced beef pie with chips and mushy peas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

"Fish & Chips" - Grilled Rainbow trout topped with balsamic beetroot and cream served with parsnip chips, roasted tomatoes and peas.

C1C3B5C4-D072-41A8-AAEE-58B0CB2480A4_zpsyvdgo2hs.jpg

Mango & Pineapple Pancakes - mango & pineapple cooked in a honey and cinnamon & lemon juice syrup/sauce served with cream

E12E358D-AEFC-4085-98D9-281CF05A711D_zpsuj7asnyd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Searingly hot chicken :eek:, wedges, rocket and mozzarella salad, all washed down with a good beer

IMAG0070_zps88gdnpzt.jpg

I coated the chicken in a combination of paprika, garlic salt, celery salt, black pepper and mixed herbs, oven for 40 minutes (ish), then a bath in ghost pepper hot sauce & butter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been feeling a bit under the weather so wanted something comforting.
    Chicken casserole with mash and green beans. Chicken, smoked bacon,onion, celery, leek, carrot, lots of garlic, thyme, bayleaf, flour, white wine, stock and a little spinach at the end.

5zzfW7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

That looks really nice. How did you make the sauce?

Thanks,
    Loire.

Honestly, it's not much of a sauce..
    I fried off two cloves of garlic, then dumped in a tin of chopped tomatoes. Added mushrooms because I'm obsessed with them (they go in everything), and left that to simmer while the rest cooked. Seasoned with a touch of paprika and some salt and pepper. Dumped it on the plate and voila!
    The whole meal was super simple and really tasty, I impressed myself with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Made this chicken korma the other night but turned away from the pan to clean a saucepan and the sauce turned way too thick in about 30 seconds - still tasted decent but would have been nice to have a bit more than a teaspoon of sauce.

Redid it again tonight and didn't turn away from pan but forgot to turn the rice off so slightly soggy rice.

I'll get it sometime.

299315.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

4q63uw.jpg

Corn fritters
    Garlicky tomato salad
    Salad leaves with stilton and cranberry
    Toasted ciabatta

I'm baffled as to why my photos flip sideways sometimes! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Healthy eating :/ ha smoked fish for me
    And the prawns for muscle man himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Making a slightly modified version of the Cooking Club chicken satay skewers.

NOM.

Also, its the first time I've used sesame oil. It smells amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

And the oh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Crispy salt and chili chicken on a bed of crunchy veg.

Honey chili beef with chips.

Banana fritters with ice cream.

coffee.

All for 12.90e love my local chinese.

DDFPGr0MkkAFwL4qIEKEKaXuvHhWSU2uj3kBapt11RIQgDJA4rU9zA2Kt-Xmhj6Kqm7yp7iCd1RRnJp5RGicvuZG=s300-c

I have a thing about throwing out food. I met a friend on the walk home from work. He was complaining about having to travel for work this evening, and as he knew my slightly obsession with using up food, he told me that he had to go throw out the fridge as he wouldn't back until Monday. I know this is kinda weird, and I have never done anything like this before, but we live close by, and went over and took some of his perishables - namely a litre of milk, a pack of cherry tomatoes and a sirloin from FX buckleys!
    So I had planned to make a chicken, goat cheese, parma ham wrap tonight inspired by Kablamo - but instead had said steak, medium (forgot to take off on second side, duh!) sweet potato fries, said cherry tomatoes roasted, with a fried melange of garlic, chilli, mushroom, shallots and spinach.

2014-03-19202040.jpg

I am definitely not having steak for at least a fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

deu0r6.jpg

Prosciutto, Pear, Grapes, Blue Cheese, Smoked Cheese, Camembert, Hommous and Olive Oil. Washed down with a Woody Nook Cab Sav

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sure!

I used this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2048639/easy-chicken-fajitas

And added lettuce (butterhead lettuce but I realise I hate it and now will only buy iceberg), grated cheese, fresh tomatoes.

Hi,

Thanks for this link, I made these last night and they went down a treat :)

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think i may have found my new favourite thread...

I did a spanish tapa's meal on saturday night for 5 people, everyone was well filled and happy with plenty of left overs

Cheeses and meats with Hummus and pitta's
    Tortilla espanola
    Guisado de chorizo y papas (Chorizo, potato and bean stew) flipping gorgeous
    Mediteranean salad and crusty bread
    Paella
    Creme Catalan
    Espresso..

Sorry folks didn't take any pictures unfortunately :o I will the next time i promise

• Advertisement

Prosciutto, Pear, Grapes, Blue Cheese, Smoked Cheese, Camembert, Hommous and Olive Oil. Washed down with a Woody Nook Cab Sav

Hi,

Nice touch with the hummus & olive oil :)

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fiddlechic wrote: »
    I have a thing about throwing out food. I met a friend on the walk home from work. He was complaining about having to travel for work this evening, and as he knew my slightly obsession with using up food, he told me that he had to go throw out the fridge as he wouldn't back until Monday. I know this is kinda weird, and I have never done anything like this before, but we live close by, and went over and took some of his perishables - namely a litre of milk, a pack of cherry tomatoes and a sirloin from FX buckleys!
    So I had planned to make a chicken, goat cheese, parma ham wrap tonight inspired by Kablamo - but instead had said steak, medium (forgot to take off on second side, duh!) sweet potato fries, said cherry tomatoes roasted, with a fried melange of garlic, chilli, mushroom, shallots and spinach.

I am definitely not having steak for at least a fortnight!
    I don't find that weird! We often go to the OH's parents for the weekend, I'd always bring anything from the fridge that wouldn't be ok by Monday! Hate hate hate wastage.

This is not weird at all. I have two sets of friends, and we all travel a fair bit, and we usually drive each other to the airport. Invariably we give a bag of perishables to the person who drives us to the airport to use up while we're away. It's usually bread, milk and vegetables of some kind - sometimes half a bottle of wine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Faith wrote: »
    Had some leftover roast chicken today, so I cooked some onions, garlic and loads of chestnut mushrooms in butter. Put them to one side and reduced down some chicken stock, added cream, added back the mushrooms etc and the cooked chicken and heated it all back up. Served with some very fancy-shaped pasta from Aldi's Specially Selected range. It was savage! I've started to really enjoy chestnut mushrooms recently.

Can you tell me the difference between Chestnut Mushrooms and Water chestnut mushrooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've never heard to Water chestnut mushrooms, tbh.
    Water chestnuts are a common ingredient in chinese cookery, however, they are a plant rather than a mushroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Feeling a bit meh today veggie soup as I can't stomach much else

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

I've never heard to Water chestnut mushrooms, tbh.
    Water chestnuts are a common ingredient in chinese cookery, however, they are a plant rather than a mushroom.

Think I made a silly mistake thinking water chestnuts were another type of mushroom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was Chilli con carne, with brown basmati.
    I've just taken this evening's dinner out of the oven - a hearty Irish stew with pearl barley, on a miserable day.

brinty wrote: »
    I did a spanish tapa's meal on saturday night for 5 people, everyone was well filled and happy with plenty of left overs

Guisado de chorizo y papas (Chorizo, potato and bean stew) flipping gorgeous

Have you a recipe for this? Sounds fab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Have you a recipe for this? Sounds fab.

Got it off the internet
    1kg spuds
    500g Chorizo
    Onion (Spanish or red)
    Garlic
    Tsp of paprika
    Bay leaf (optional)
    Tin of tomato's or jar of passata
    Tin of cannellini beans or similar (Drained)

Basically peel and cube spuds, par boil for 10 mins, drain and set aside
    Cut up chorizo and fry it off til golden remove and set aside
    Throw onion garlic paprika tomato and bay into the fat of chorizo bring to a gentle simmer..
    Add back the spuds and chorizo
    Add beans and simmer 10 - 15 minutes
    Serve with warm crusty bread if on its own

Hope that helps ;)

Seems a bit dry, so you might need some chicken stock too(can't remember if I used any!!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement