Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A Gueta! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Family Sunday roast time:
    Roast chicken and ham with stuffing. Roast potatoes. Roast veg: butternut squash, peppers, red onions, carrots and parsnips. Stir fried broccolli with chilli and garlic. Pourings of gravy.
    Dessert: Brenda Costigan's "Italian American" Chocolate cake - made with crushed amaretti biscuits and loadsa almonds. Served with Nigella's "no whip" salted caramel ice cream.
    Photos not taken as would be viewed as very, very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Really annoyed with dinner - had takeaway from the local Italian. Their pizzas are great but I felt like having pasta instead. So I ordered spaghetti with prawns and tomatoes. I've had them before last year and they were superb. Tonight's was like they scraped it off the bin. The 'fresh' tomato chunks in the sauce was so so off. I rang them immediately to complain, and they were very apologetic. Pity, we've been going there for years, and a bad tomato was enough for me to not return there again. I'm still gagging...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Was way too sunny for it but we had friends over from Switzerland with a fresh stash of raclette and continental style bacon (the really thin stuff) so we had raclette. And lots of white wine.

No photos because of the thing where people who don't see you that often think you're insane when you take photos of your plate.

Now I'm sitting on the couch eating a whole pack of Sbrinz (which is similar to parmesan) curls that I'm sure they meant to be shared out but I have annexed for myself

<don't quote pictures!>

I'm fairly certain I will die of cheese. I think we'd get on well.

Edit: apols for pic quote. Blame the gin!

• Administrators Posts: 53,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Simple roast today.
    Free range pork belly, roast garlic, baked golden wonders, tenderstem broccoli, mustard gravy. I feel the need to confess that just Mrs Beer and myself scoffed all the crackling while the meat was resting. Considering our sweetbreads lunch - a lot of rich food today:eek:

I love pork belly and that looks great! Got a recipe?

I've never tasted crackling. :(:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm fairly certain I will die of cheese. I think we'd get on well.

Cheese club!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Cheese club!
    How do I join such an association?!

My dinner was roasted broccoli, over which I poured leftover tomato and lentil goulash, and topped with jalapeno peppers and grated cheese which I then put under a hot grill to reheat. Simple and yummy!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tonight we had roast pork belly, tenderstem broccoli wrapped in smoked streaky bacon, spinach, potatoes.
    Simple roast today.
    Free range pork belly, roast garlic, baked golden wonders, tenderstem broccoli.

What's going on here?:confused:

What did you have for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Msflitworth, what noodles do you use??

awec wrote: »

Well what I did with that piece was this:
    I left it a few hours to come to room temp. I scored the skin carefully and rubbed sea salt into the cuts. I seasoned it underneath with salt and pepper and put it in a 200C oven for an hour and a half. The garlic cloves (hard ends sliced off) need about half an hour in the oven after being tossed with oil, salt and pepper). After an hour and 20 mins or so (I did baste the skin a couple of times) the skin was just beginning to show signs of bubbling up. I put the grill on, not too hot, for ten minutes and this got the crackling really bubbling. Very easy to burn it if you loose attention.

That's it really.
    Out of the oven. Carve off the crackling. Cover the pork with foil and a towel. Eat the crackling. Make the gravy. Carve pork. Boil/steam your greens. Serve (with spuds of choice).:D

This is not slow cooked pork which many people might be more used to from restaurants. It more of a sunday roast texture. The quality of the pork you use is really what can make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

What's going on here?:confused:

What did you have for lunch?
    Lunch was black and white pudding with streaky rashers in brown soda bread.

javagal wrote: »
    Msflitworth, what noodles do you use??

These ones were Sharwood's Medium Egg. They were nice

Lunch was black and white pudding with streaky rashers in brown soda bread.

The streaky bacon is common to our lunch (and a possible blood/offal connection with the sweetbreads and black budding).
    Hmmmmm:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This evening I had my spicy pork & noodle soup that had been lovingly prepared yesterday, but sadly forgotten. Damn Russians! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

awec wrote: »

You've never had crackling??? you are in for a treat
    Mrs Brinty never had it before she meet me, now we have to have rost belly of pork once a month
    a great little cut of meat.. inexpensive too
    If ye do like the crackling, i'd recommend a pork shoulder too, there's even more on it;)

I cook mine slighly different to Awec...
    Put on the oven as high as it goes and get a good heat in it 10 minutes at least
    Dry off any mositure on the skin with a paper towel, score the skin to about 1cm deep, laods of salt/sea salt and rub it right into the score marks..
    Pop it into the oven for 30 minutes, the skin should be bubbling and popping and then turn the heat down to gas mark 1 and let it go for 3 to 4 hours...
    You can give it a quick 5/10 minute heat blast at the end if it needs more crisping ;)
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Long time lurker (and drooler!) - but I just had to say this looks amazing! I've tried to do the mozzerella in the crust before and it just didn't work - most leaked out and under the base and over the edge - the rest just didn't really melt. Have tried it with solid chunks, slices and grated - could you pretty please share how you got this to work!! :D

I cut up cubes of fresh mozzarella for the crust and just ensured that they were spaced far enough apart so that when they did melt, there wouldn't be too much oozing!

I also ensured that there was enough pastry to fold over properly so that there weren't any gaps where it could leak out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Stir fried veg tonight nice and light .... The opposite of me at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

image.jpg

A wholesome veg and mixed bean curry with basmati rice. Just perfect for that rotten weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Potatoes, peas and lamb cutlets for us tonight. Washed down with a delicious Tumbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chicken wings and chips at Bel Cibo in Smithfield. Good but entirely forgettable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Beans on toast.

I'm not joking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Beef stir fry with Singapore noodles thanks to the lovely Mr. Merkin, I hoovered it down without actually coming up for air so no pictures! :o

Chili with little corn tortillas toasted on a frying pan. Didn't get any on new white top, it's the little victories

0d1eef01-32d2-45a5-ac91-a3dd11286719_zps3234c079.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

We had left over chicken from the sunday roast yesterday. Sooo..

chicken cheese rolls like from the chinese and chicken and prawn pad thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Goats cheese salad with rashers , walnuts, tomatoes, beetroot, red onion.
    Followed by mango, banana and lime salad with greek yogurt.
    Yummy and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Had lemon sole, mini baby potatoes and a salad of iceberg lettuce, rocket, cucumber, peppers, red onions, tomatoes and radishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Dinner in one of my favourite restaurants tonight: gambas Caeser salad, duck tacos and a chocolate fudge brownie. Comforting fare for the onset of what seems to be second winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Veggie eggy fried brown rice. Relatively healthy and tasty way to use up the veg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ordinary pasta dish for the main course last night but we went out looking for wild lettuce on Sunday, had a lovely green salad last night. Wonderful fresh taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Not actually last night but the night before I had the tasting menu in Neven Maguire's MacNean House, I may not need to eat for another week...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement