Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Minder wrote: »
    Went to the rellies last night and drove the family home after the party. Abed by 3am and feeling jaded today so we had sofa, films and homemade pizza while the wind and rain battered the house. Not the most thrilling New Years Day but special all the same as it just the 4 of us, warm and safe.

Sounds wonderful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wondered why the old thread had gone so quiet :(, just found this one.

For dinner we had mash with spring onion, spinach cooked with garlic and mixed with red and yellow peppers and venison marinaded in red wine.

dinner4_zps06ab01de.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was roast 5-spice chicken leg, sweet potato chips and slaw. Very yum yum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was as far as prepping my toppings for our pizza this evening when I realised I'd forgotten to get cheese :rolleyes:. So it was sausage sandwiches for dinner tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beef stew.

15recz9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had the spiced beef on NYE and the leftovers this evening. I'm not terribly keen on it. It's quite fatty and the taste is rather distinctive... I wouldn't say I didn't like it but I don't think I'd buy it again.

Himself made an experimental gravy using some of the spice-infused cooking liquid, beef stock and some red wine. It was like having thickened mulled wine over your dinner; kind of weird but sort of not bad!

Tonight we started with leek and potato soup, which was delicious, topped with some cream and chives and served with little ciabatta toasts. The main course was a dish consisting of a pound of clonakilty sausages, skinned, crumbled and fried with shredded brussells sprouts and mushrooms, with two sides of roasted rosemary potato cubes and roast maple-glazed carrots. Really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight we had jambalaya, sort of. Long grain rice, chorizo, chili, onions and peppers cooked in chopped tomatoes & stock and served with roast chicken thigh meat shredded off the bone. Tasty & inexpensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had the spiced beef on NYE and the leftovers this evening. I'm not terribly keen on it. It's quite fatty and the taste is rather distinctive... I wouldn't say I didn't like it but I don't think I'd buy it again.

Himself made an experimental gravy using some of the spice-infused cooking liquid, beef stock and some red wine. It was like having thickened mulled wine over your dinner; kind of weird but sort of not bad!

Yeah I agree about the spiced beef..for me it doesn't taste spicy, more cinnamony and not what I was expecting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Dinner in FX Buckleys tonight. I was a little disappointed. My flat iron steak although cooked medium rare as requested was quite sinewy and tough. No vegetables either which I didn't realise when I ordered. The spring onion mash was very yummy however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Slow cooker meatballs, veg-rich tomato sauce and broccoli. Turned out much tastier than expected if I'm honest!

IMAG1402-2_zps23f84597.jpg

Last night we had seabass in a Mediterranean marinade, miniature baby potatoes and salad.
    It was absolutely delicious.

98xaue.jpg

Tonight we had Spaghetti Bolognese. (Salad too but not pictured)

29av50x.jpg

As I said in another thread I had some 'beef medallions' that I didn't know what to do with.

In the end I rubbed them with sea salt, black pepper and olive oil, and seared them for 2 minutes a side in a little butter on a hot pan. (90 seconds a side would have been better.)

Then I sliced them and served them in baguettes with fried onions, lettuce, mayo, ketchup and wholegrain mustard.

ncglmf.jpg

A little tough, as I would have expected, but tasty nonetheless. Clean plates all roun.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

This evening had steak, chips, mushrooms and mushy peas. Getting hungry again though reading this thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Making Bang Bang Chicken tonight from my Ballymaloe book . I've everything ready to go and just waiting for the au pair to head out!! Mrs Loire put a bottle of Cremant de Loire in the fridge to make Bellinis...determined to beat the January blues I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

fussyonion wrote: »
    Last night we had seabass in a Mediterranean marinade, miniature baby potatoes and salad.
    It was absolutely delicious.

Hi Fussy! That Seabass looks amazing. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the marinade and also how you cooked the fish?

Thanks,
    Loire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had rack of lamb with spicy wedges. Washed down with a Sierra Nevada 2010 Celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Roasted a chicken tonight and had stuffing, mashed carrots and parsnips and wholegrain mustard mashed potatoes. All very tasty except my stuffing was over seasoned with parsley.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Fussy! That Seabass looks amazing. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the marinade and also how you cooked the fish?

Thanks,
    Loire

Sure, no problem!

MARINADE:

zest and juice of 1 lemon.
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 very finely sliced and diced red chilli (De-seeded! forgot to mention this)
    2 tablespoons of olive oil

1) Put all the ingredients in a medium bowl, add the fish, coat a few times and then leave to marinade in the fridge for a few hours.
    2) Get your grill rack, cover it in tinfoil (you don't want a smelly grillpan!) and heat the grill to medium.
    3) Place the fish on the foil covered grill-rack and grill for about five minutes on one side, five minutes on the other..or until the fish is opaque and fully cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A delish seafood platter although I had smoked salmon as have to skip on shellfish at the moment!!

• Advertisement

Used up some leftover bolognese sauce by sticking under macaroni (penne-roni) & cheese in the oven. We had it with green beans cos have to eat more vegetables.

c646dcf9-43ea-4091-8ac3-2817514ac8b5_zpsa34a3e88.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had a brandade and broccoli tart, very tasty. The brandade wasn't homemade but the broccoli was fresh and the pastry homemade.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Last night I made chicken legs cooked in lots of mustard and cider. I added barley for the last 25mins. I did roasted sprouts and squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Beef bourguinon from Neven Maguires new book, with crusty bread. Ate what was on our plates and then stood over the pot like savages gobbling more. Dying to try out more of his recipes now

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

Fillet of Pork steak with noodles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 212 ✭✭HobbyMan

I made 4 recipes from one cookbook in order to make a complete meal.

The result was delicious!

<Mod snip> - blog pimping isn't allowed in this thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Suffering from the January blues, I cooked a staple in our house: prawns in a creamy garlicky sauce with pasta. I don't know what went wrong but I couldn't get any flavour at all in the dish :(. It was like my onions and garlic weren't even there and no amount of seasoning could save it. It was really disappointing, because that's usually a dish that really does the job when you need comfort food.

Faith wrote: »
    Suffering from the January blues, I cooked a staple in our house: prawns in a creamy garlicky sauce with pasta. I don't know what went wrong but I couldn't get any flavour at all in the dish :(. It was like my onions and garlic weren't even there and no amount of seasoning could save it. It was really disappointing, because that's usually a dish that really does the job when you need comfort food.

Aw bugger. Hate that, when you cook medicinal food it needs to properly do its job!

Inception dinner in my house. Leftovers within leftovers within leftovers. Last night's leftover pasta, with more of last weeks leftover (and frozen) bolognese sauce with random chunks of leftover cheese from Christmas.

5a4ae57b-6291-4677-987d-90a45c98d9e7_zpsa84e95b8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Mussels in Thai red curry sauce, followed by baba ganoush with raw veggies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had lasagna with crusty bread :)

2dktna.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement