Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Looks and sounds gorgeous. Any chance of the recipes???

Will put it up tomorrow on the random thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I guess tonight's dinner was a very lazy jambalaya. Fried off some chorizo and threw it in a roasting bag with chicken, rice, peppers, onion, garlic, paprika and chilli powder. Poured it from the bag into a casserole dish for the last five minutes and let some peas steam on top.

Some of the rice is a tiny bit crunchy, but overall a really yummy dinner.

I really like the look of this.
    Did you use any stock or any liquid?
    How long did you cook it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

fussyonion wrote: »
    I really like the look of this.
    Did you use any stock or any liquid?
    How long did you cook it for?

I just added cold water. I think I had about 200g of rice and 450ml of water, but I only had wholegrain rice so after about 40 mins cooking in the bag it still wasn't fully cooked. I put it in the casserole dish, added a bit more water, covered it in tinfoil and cooked it for a further 5/10 minutes or so. Another 5 minutes wouldn't have gone amiss but it was late and I was starving :D I've done something similar before with white rice, and 35/40 minutes in the bag with about 400ml of water has been plenty.

I just added cold water. I think I had about 200g of rice and 450ml of water, but I only had wholegrain rice so after about 40 mins cooking in the bag it still wasn't fully cooked. I put it in the casserole dish, added a bit more water, covered it in tinfoil and cooked it for a further 5/10 minutes or so. Another 5 minutes wouldn't have gone amiss but it was late and I was starving :D I've done something similar before with white rice, and 35/40 minutes in the bag with about 400ml of water has been plenty.

And are they just the normal turkey bags you're using?
    Or can you get smaller ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken and chickpea casserole. Nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

fussyonion wrote: »
    And are they just the normal turkey bags you're using?
    Or can you get smaller ones?

You can get smaller ones, I got them in my butcher. They're the same size as the bags you get in the Knorr Season & Shake packs. I used to buy those a bit, but then realised it was cheaper to just buy the bags and use my own seasoning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night was Steak night having bought some lovely Rib Eye steaks which were crying out to be eaten.

Firstly I made a light starter of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella with S&P and balsamic vinegar.

For the main I made twice cooked chips, medium rare rib eye and a peppercorn sauce (shallot, black pepper, Sichuan pepper, butter, beef stock, cream).

6CBDFAF9-4E2D-4C98-B904-BCBC98DB2A4E_zpshoyyko9i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

tmc86 wrote: »
    Last night was Steak night having bought some lovely Rib Eye steaks which were crying out to be eaten.

Since I stopped eating meat regularly I must say I have gone off it somewhat. But that looks just beautiful. Your chips look perfect too. *drool*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

ibarelycare's jambalaya yesterday had me longing, and I'd never tasted it so tonight I made this one http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

It was delicious and I'll definitely make it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Thanks to advice received yonder on the chat thread, I baked some salmon in a little vermouth and a lime (couldn't find original plan of teriyaki sauce and honey!); and stir fried green veg (french beans, sugar snap peas, mange tout) with mushrooms, garlic, chilli and loads of ginger.
    Very excellent.
    Finished off with a rather fine Cornetto - choc n ball.

2014-04-04190328.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I made a salad type thing of lamb lettuce, gem lettuce, red onion, scallion, tomato, cucumber and pomegranate seeds and squeezed some balsamic glaze over the top and mixed it all up together.

We had it with a spoonful of mashed potatoes and lamb leg steaks from Tesco.

It was my first time trying pomegranate seeds and they were gorgeous, reckon they'd be nice mixed through some porridge or plain yoghurt maybe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

homemade cheese burger with home made hash browns.

The cheese was in the middle of the burger, then it had grilled mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes (i know, i know :o) on top then wrapped in lettuce leaves.

The burger had paprika, chilli powder and paprika in it.

Cant move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Kind-of-paella rice & chorizo calamari with a side salad of fried tomato pieces (skinned and seeded) with some deep fried jalapenos.

20140405_191828.jpg

20140405_191844.jpg

20140405_191903.jpg

20140405_191911.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonights dinner should be lovely (when it is finally finshed cooking!!!) It's slow roast loin of pork (complete with crackling!) apple sauce, steamed new potatoes carrots asparagus and purple sprouting broccoli followed by black forest gateaux :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Had goulash from the cooking club served with buttery mashed potato - OMG it's so bloody good! It's the second time I've made it and I'll be having the leftovers for dinner again today :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night we had sirloin, pepper sauce, baked potatoes and garden peas, washed down with some red wine.

Followed up by strawberries and cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lolita77

Had the mother in-law over for dinner so trying to impress: caramelised red onions with goat's cheese tartelettes for starter, followed by seafood chowder and soda bread finished with rolo brownies.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Amazing !! :)
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Kind-of-paella rice & chorizo calamari with a side salad of fried tomato pieces (skinned and seeded) with some deep fried jalapenos.

I've a stinking cold-can't taste a thing, but made some Minestrone Soup and I *could* taste that! I'm not really a soup person but it was delicious.

Made with onions, garlic, courgette, carrots, red and green peppers, red lentils, broken spaghetti, vegetable stock, herbs and salt and pepper.

I felt, with each mouthful, I was getting tons of goodness.

Really enjoyed it. Had it with a ham and cheese bagel but I couldn't taste that.

Colds suck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

By myself today, working furiously over weekend to try and clear some work - so a quick fish en papillote - salmon, lemon, cherry tomatoes, tarragon, green beans, vermouth, lemon. Unfortunately I had a much smaller piece of parchment paper than was needed so improvised with a pyrex casserole dish lid balanced precariously on one end. In anticipation if excess evaporation, I added more vermouth than usual, so it was deliciously boozy. No pictures, as it was kinda ugly!
    I then walked to the shop to assuage my conscience over having my new favourite thing a 3rd day in a row: Choc n Balls Cornetto for dessert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We spent the day outside yesterday, so I made a picnic, two pasta salads, one a greek style one with cucumber, feta and black olives, and the other a coronation chicken pasta salad. Both really lovely and summery.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amklo

Last night I breaded some chicken breasts and included some lemon, garlic and herbs in the breadcrumbs, fried it and finished off in the oven...had it with homemade potatoe and carrot wedges and some salad for goodness. Just the ticket after Saturday night's overindulgences!

O, and apple crumble and icecream for dessert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had a big thingy of milk that needed to be used up quickly, so I made paneer out of it, which will (hopefully) be firm enough by dinnertime to go into a pot of mutter paneer - aka cheesy pea curry.

Yum!

It worked!

I0fN7wE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    aka cheesy pea curry.
    Mmmmm, Cheesy peas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had never heard of paneer before so I Googled it. Well impressed that you would go and make your own! What's the flavour like? What type of curry does it work best with? So many questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

That curry looks amazing. Have you recipe handy

I had never heard of paneer before so I Googled it. Well impressed that you would go and make your own! What's the flavour like? What type of curry does it work best with? So many questions...

Hey thanks :) It's actually very easy to make, you just need to have the time to let it sit under a heavy weight for a few hours to get solid. It's a very mild, gentle flavour and I think it works best in mild curries as it would be overwhelmed in anything very spicy.
    maryk123 wrote: »
    That curry looks amazing. Have you recipe handy

The recipe is a bit awkward because I started with about a pint of curry addict's base sauce which I cooked down til it got nice and thick, then added in about a tablespoon of his curry masala mix, a squirt of tomato puree, a splash of cream and about 6 cashews mashed into a fine paste. Cooked that gently til it thickened up and then checked it for salt etc.
    I Then threw in about a cup of frozen petit pois, and finally the cubed paneer was nestled into the sauce to warm through without falling to bits like it normally does :)

VVV word of warning, you get a blob of cheese literally about the size of an apple out of about 2 litres of milk VVV

Edit 2: Paneer recipe: http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/05/24/how-to-make-paneer/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Cool, I prefer milder curries (or at least, I haven't built up a taste for very spicy ones!) and LOVE cheese so this is definitely going on the list. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

The remnants of my just unfrozen vindaloo with sausages as a filling. I'll try take a clearer picture tonight. Again thanks to Curry Addict for some unreal recipes even if I did deviate a little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement