Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tonight we had lasagna with crusty bread :)
    Oh wow that looks amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight made a massive pork shoulder roast with crackling. It was my first time to make successful crackling. I scored the pork and salted the fat and left it in the slow cooker all day on a bed of onion and whole garlic cloves, with just a splash of water for liquid.

The resulting cooking liquor was an incredibly rich pork stock which I used to make some really delicious gravy.

I put the pork in a very hot oven at the end for 40 minutes to crisp the crackling, which worked a treat.

The meat fell apart with a fork. We ate it with soft white rolls, home-made pork and apple stuffing and apple sauce and pots of gravy for dipping.

Lots of leftovers too.

dipdip wrote: »
    Tonight made a massive pork shoulder roast with crackling. It was my first time to make successful crackling. I scored the pork and salted the fat and left it in the slow cooker all day on a bed of onion and whole garlic cloves, with just a splash of water for liquid.

The resulting cooking liquor was an incredibly rich pork stock which I used to make some really delicious gravy.

I put the pork in a very hot oven at the end for 40 minutes to crisp the crackling, which worked a treat.

The meat fell apart with a fork. We ate it with soft white rolls, home-made pork and apple stuffing and apple sauce and pots of gravy for dipping.

Lots of leftovers too.

Yeah so what's your address?

fussyonion wrote: »
    Yeah so what's your address?

15 Yemen Road, Yemen. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Roast beef with baby potatoes, cauliflower cheese, peas and Yorkshire puds.

Half price beef joint from the Tesco discount corner.

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit blue heading back to work tomorrow so we went for some fish and chips. Really regret it - they were greasy and unpalatable. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I wanted Camile Thai but hello January, hello empy bank account, hello muffin tops, muffin sides & muffin fronts in all my clothes, hello a little brown rice with tuna, peppers and onion and (as it turned out, way too much) soy sauce.

dipdip wrote: »

Lots of leftovers too.

Is pork shoulder the one you buy if you want to do pulled pork?

I don't know if pork shoulder is the only cut suitable for pulled pork, but pork shoulder is definitely suitable for pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Busy coupla days!

Lunch in Yo Sushi yesterday, yum. Wish I lived near a sushi place. Then dinner was at Damson Diner, got the grilled halloumi salad. The cheese was yum but I wasn't mad about the salad. Got the calamari as a side, which was delish. One of my dining companions had the pulled pork hot dog, I had major food envy.

Horrendously hungover today, therefore chicken balls, curry, and egg fried rice happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner was moussaka, penne with spicy sausage and roast beetroot and goats cheese salad.

Also made about 2lbs of adobo sauce following this recipe from the Dean and DeLuca cookbook. That's chilli sorted for the rest of 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Busy coupla days!

Lunch in Yo Sushi yesterday, yum. Wish I lived near a sushi place. Then dinner was at Damson Diner, got the grilled halloumi salad. The cheese was yum but I wasn't mad about the salad. Got the calamari as a side, which was delish. One of my dining companions had the pulled pork hot dog, I had major food envy.

Horrendously hungover today, therefore chicken balls, curry, and egg fried rice happened.

Went to Damson Diner over the weekend, had heard great things but was hugely disappointed. Really not good food at all, we must have caught it on an off day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight for dinner we had a mix of things, all had to be used up.

We had mashed potatoes, smoked rashers, grilled tomatoes, garlic mushrooms and fried eggs.

Was lovely for a change but we are back to healthy eating tomorrow.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Went to Damson Diner over the weekend, had heard great things but was hugely disappointed. Really not good food at all, we must have caught it on an off day :)

Yeah... That was my second trip there, wasn't overly impressed either time. Don't think I'll be giving it a third chance anytime soon. Also their drinks prices are shocking! Especially relative to the fairly reasonable food prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Slow Cooker Sunday again...Beef & Guinness stew with beef shin. It was amazing! I cut the beef into large pieces (twice the size of steak pieces you normally get) and they were falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had lamb kleftiko from the Cooking Club. It was absolutely savage. Lamb was really tender and falling apart and there were such wonderful flavours. Should note it was also ridiculously easy to throw together. Loved it, already looking forward to the leftovers tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

We had lamb kleftiko from the Cooking Club. It was absolutely savage. Lamb was really tender and falling apart and there were such wonderful flavours. Should note it was also ridiculously easy to throw together. Loved it, already looking forward to the leftovers tonight!
    I only saw this yesterday on the cooking club, dying to try it!
    I made lasagne last night, absolutely yum.

I made lasagne last night, absolutely yum.

Ditto. We're having ours tonight. First time making it with lamb mince too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Ashamed to say that I didn't cook anything over the weekend! We had friends staying with us for the weekend and ended up eating out.

Saturday evening was a trip to the trusty Counter in Dundrum. I had a beef burger with Gruyere, grilled onions, black olives, jalapenos, avocado on a honey wheat bun and a side of sweet potato fries. Washed down with a bottle of Moosehead.

Sunday a.m we hit Herb Street for brunch and again without fail I ordered the eggs Benedict. Although there are many temptations on the menu, I can't seem to stray away from this dish!
    9C21AB5E-E93D-48CC-98BA-70A24D7AB0AE_zps1amz74t0.jpg

Sunday evening, my housemate and I were in town and popped into 777 (South George Street) for some casual Mexican. I've been meaning to visit for a while and it was well worth the wait. All dishes on a Sunday are €7.77 as are brunch dishes and some cocktails. We ordered a dish each and one to share. I went with sea bream on a bed of avocado and salsa and topped with an almond crust. He went for chicken and bacon on french toast with a maple agave & jalapeno syrup which was sublime! We split the dish below then.

3299849E-FE4D-4BF7-A559-32EE361D217A_zpsrlgahb6a.jpg

Whilst it was only 4 meals over the weekend and the food was top quality, out of guilt last night I made a 3 bean salad and green salad for work today!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried/oven roast duck breasts. Potato rosti. Kale fast fried with garlic. Braised sweetheart cabbage. Ginger and star anise kriek reduction.

6hAgmv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Travelling back to the UK last night after our joliers so had a Mickey D's en route. Had a quarter pounder and fries and it was absolutely delicious :D

There's a time and a place for the odd Mickey D's, and boy does it hit the spot then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

pampootie wrote: »
    Beef bourguinon from Neven Maguires new book, with crusty bread. Ate what was on our plates and then stood over the pot like savages gobbling more. Dying to try out more of his recipes now

We're on the same page -- I was going through his Nation's Favourite Food book on Sat and got stuck on the Beef Bourguignon page, so I went to the butcher straight away. The beef pieces they had were quite lean, so I went for shoulder lamb pieces instead with a bit of fat and flavour in them.
    A few hours a beautiful pot of Lamb Bourguignon came out of the oven. Served with mash.

159_zpsf71c7858.jpg

Pan fried/oven roast duck breasts. Potato rosti. Kale fast fried with garlic. Braised sweetheart cabbage. Ginger and star anise kriek reduction.

That rosti looks amazing! Would you mind posting how you made it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

I took the leftovers from our pork shoulder on Saturday night and shredded them. Then I prepped a home-made barbecue sauce, tossed it all together and heated.

313n3mc.jpg

2li9deb.jpg

Pulled pork sandwiches all round. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Still trying to get rid of Christmas leftovers and foodie presents - chocolates and biscuits are now gone! Tonight we managed to lose some smoked salmon....

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/m/recipes/smoked_salmon_pasta/

Last of the Christmas pud went for afters. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Heroin chicken, red cabbage and carrot coleslaw with speedy mayo, green things, tomatoes and cucumber. Yum!

IMG_0379.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Soy-and-egg fried rice (with peas, mushroom, diced bacon, and chicken that I put in the blender after cooking), and fried garlic/ginger/soy pork belly on top.

2014_01_04_18_10_20.jpg

2014_01_04_18_09_48.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Marinated a steak in liquid smoke last night, then I rubbed it mustard powder, paprika and pepper. Served it with a mustard sauce, carrot and apple slaw, and potatoes cooked with butter and onions wrapped in tinfoil in the oven.

287606.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This is a bit...em...well it looks a little unappetising is all I'll say. However it was lovely! Made a salad with brown rice, roast squash, grated apple & chunks of ham and topped it with a dressing of dijon & white balsamic.

ff0323d7-7f1e-4e22-b447-d12ca933092b_zps3c7f26ba.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement