Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Shouldn't that be posted in the 'Here's what we had for our second dinner last night' tread. :)

In the Hobbit forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭kinklee7

Went to Tesco with the best of Intentions and what do I spot ? Irish new potatoes(baby) then a so so fresh Batch Loaf. I then picked up one of those flat packs of cooked BBQ spare ribs which I stripped the meat off the minute I got home.
    My Dinner... Buttered baby spuds with hot ribs on freshly buttered bread with the melted butter dripping from the bread onto the plate of spuds.
    Bliss..... Cup of Tea and a Walnut Whip. I am so happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    In the Hobbit forum

That went way over my head, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Homemade Sheperd's Pie with some soy sauce added into the gravy for extra flavour. Very comforting, absolutely stuffed now :)

Tonight was Jamie Oliver's Jerk Chicken, steamed baby new potatoes, grilled corn on the cob and salad with cherry tomatoes.

2014-05-07%2019.38.21_zpsu4vyijza.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roast chicken with the works - roast potatoes, roast carrots, giant Yorkshire puds and gravy. I'm full as an egg! Have to get all the roasts in now in case we get another hot summer. I almost suffocated myself cooking a roast last July :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Faith wrote: »
    Roast chicken with the works - roast potatoes, roast carrots, giant Yorkshire puds and gravy. I'm full as an egg! Have to get all the roasts in now in case we get another hot summer. I almost suffocated myself cooking a roast last July :D

I work in a hotel doing food service and the number of people ordering roast dinners during the hottest days last summer was incredible. Couldn't do it myself but each to their own I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Chicken fajitas with pepper, onion and mushrooms. Salsa. Lettuce. Grated mature cheddar. Cherry tomatoes. Jalopeños. All wrapped up in 3 small tortilla wraps. I also made a couscous salad (feta, red pepper, basil, olive oil).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

How do ye make that porridge bread from Whoopsydaisy receipe?

I see you use 1 tub natural yogurt..is that the large tub (like Glenisk organic 500g tub) and then fill that tub twice with oats?? How do ye measure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

blondie29 wrote: »
    How do ye make that porridge bread from Whoopsydaisy receipe?

I see you use 1 tub natural yogurt..is that the large tub (like Glenisk organic 500g tub) and then fill that tub twice with oats?? How do ye measure it?

Yes that size tub.
    Empty the yogurt into a large bowl, then fill the empty tub up with porridge oats twice, add those to the bowl and also add 1 tsp of bread soda.
    Mix well and bake at 180c for 50 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight we had slow cooked beef madras with basmati and home made roti, which are effort, but so good. Topped with mango chutney and Greek yoghurt.

Hosting a surprise party tomorrow night with mounds of chicken wings, potato wedges, blue cheese dip and celery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made more potato & garlic soup this evening, but the spuds I used were too waxy. Ended up with potato & garlic flavoured wall-paper paste. Ended up binning it. First dish in years that I just couldn't eat. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Waxy spuds are my pet hate of LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

My third ever home cooked lasagne and my first ever homemade tomato Bruschetta. There were expletives uttered....
    Holy ****! That was ****ing amazing!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Haddock fillet dredged in a bit of flour that had been seasoned in salt, pepper, and some fennel seeds, served with potatoes and broccoli.
    Himself was raving about the fennel seeds, said I could open a restaurant! :p (I think the rosé we had with it went to his head! :rolleyes: )

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tonight is lamb tagine with lemon cous cous from the cooking club.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Calibos wrote: »
    My third ever home cooked lasagne and my first ever homemade tomato Bruschetta. There were expletives uttered....

:D

How did u make ur bruschetta as a matter of interest!

Grilled burger, sauteed onion, homemade chips, cornichons, and cherry tomatoes, forgotten to put the cheese under grill till ready to assemble. On wholemeal bap. Ah well.

2014-05-08%2018.33.36_zpsdo6onjf6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Tonights dinner was one of my kids favorites would you believe, it was chicken liver (for my 3 year old) and chicken gizzards (my 6 year old) cooked in lots of onions and garlic. Served with polenta and some peas on the side.

They were a little put out that there were no chicken hearts on their plates, which they both love, but mammy had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

A scone. :o This kinda thing has been happening a bit too much lately. Tomorrow I WILL make dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken Madras using Aldi Specially Selected Madras Sauce..made with red and green peppers and onions, served with boiled brown rice and half a Naan bread. Delicious as always :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Made a cheese souffle for dinner last night. Turns out piles of soft, creamy stuff are not my dinner of choice. Probably would have enjoyed it more spread on toast, or just with something to break up the texture, but for the moment souffle is on the ould 'no' list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Never had a souffle. It's always been on my list of things to cook but it just hasn't happened yet. :rolleyes:

It was my first souffle, not sure there'll be a second! Had been on my list of things I should cook for a really long time too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think I'd like the texture at all, even though I love the idea of soufflés. When I make a frittata I have to have it packed with ingredients, I couldn't be doing with big eggy parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I think souffles are better suited to pudding type dishes, or as a starter or small side. A whole dinner of cheese souffle seems a bit much!

Hairy Bikers do a smoked haddock one that sounds lovely with a big salad though.

A little pot of cheesey souffle with a high ratio of crisp:creamy sounds good. Definitely think the bucket of it I made was overdoing things. It's super rich, as I guess is obvious to normal people when they see the amount of eggs that go in, so we didn't finish it. Not like us at all. Reminded me of, what I would imagine, invalid food to have been like back in the days of getting a cup of calves jelly when you had a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef in our house last night, with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. I have been using my slow cooker for many years and I think this is my favourite recipe ever. I put it in the slow cooker 7am yesterday morning and it stewed away slowly for about 10 hours.
    The leftovers are calling me from the fridge right now but it is a little early for lunch!

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef.html

• Advertisement

^^^ looks delicious, wonder what shredded carrots will being to the dish after long slow cooking. Have this bookmarked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement