Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

jordata wrote: »
    Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef in our house last night, with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. I have been using my slow cooker for many years and I think this is my favourite recipe ever. I put it in the slow cooker 7am yesterday morning and it stewed away slowly for about 10 hours.
    The leftovers are calling me from the fridge right now but it is a little early for lunch!

Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef.html

Excellent! I'm on the hunt for slow cooker recipes. Just did the Pulled Pork and the Lamb Tagine from the cooking club in it so want more recipes. Will try this next week.

Whats a flank though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Neyite wrote: »
    Whats a flank though?

It's the meat from the abdomen. One that needs marinating etc for best taste so a slow cook is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Excellent! I'm on the hunt for slow cooker recipes. Just did the Pulled Pork and the Lamb Tagine from the cooking club in it so want more recipes. Will try this next week.

Whats a flank though?

They always have it in the Asia Market on Abbey St if you're in Dublin. Also, dirt cheap :D It's great on a barbecue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

emaleth wrote: »
    They always have it in the Asia Market on Abbey St if you're in Dublin. Also, dirt cheap :D It's great on a barbecue.

Ooh! At the butcher counter/roast duck bit or in the fridges?

Ooh! At the butcher counter/roast duck bit or in the fridges?

At the butcher counter! A fiver for 500g, and it's delicious. I marinade it in pineapple juice, soy sauce and sambal oelek overnight and then barbecue at very high heat. Can also be done on a griddle pan or under a grill if there isn't a barbecue, or, if for example, you were too busy guzzling wine to turn the barbecue on until well after dark and are now too drunk to operate giant flaming devices.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Too far away I'm afraid.

I just wondered what wording on the packaging I'd look for when buying flank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

, or, if for example, you were too busy guzzling wine to turn the barbecue on until well after dark and are now too drunk to operate giant flaming devices.

Made me actually lol. :pac:

Too far away I'm afraid.

I just wondered what wording on the packaging I'd look for when buying flank.

Just flank! It's a big piece of more or less triangular meat, about an inch thick, narrowing as the piece tapers, with a very visible, dense grain. The surface looks almost corrugated, if you know what I mean. It's very lean.

Not the same thing as onglet/bavette, which is very loose grained, though coarse, and has a big white sinew running down the middle of the piece. Onglet is also delicious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just an honest plate of Bolognese

2014-05-09%2018.05.45_zps8xo8aoum.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

A big plate of cholesterol-ridden goodness for the end of my exams.

And wine. Always wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Cameraphone is on the fritz so no photo's again but tonight we had Stir-fry following this recipe reasonably closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmSySkLzjJ4

Changed the chicken for thinly cut Sirloin marinated for half the day in Dry Sherry, Soy Sauce Chilli paste, Garlic paste and fresh grated ginger.
    Tried authentic Noodles before but consensus was the family preferred Sharwoods medium egg noodles. I pre-boil them, drain and rinse in cold water and marinated them in olive oil and soy till ready to finish cooking by frying in the pan. I made an effort this time to not over cook the veg as in the past I've been guilty of cooking them limp.

Some of the family aren't noodle fans and as a treat instead of giving them plain boiled long grain rice I made some egg fried rice from the same youtube channel. Pre-cooked the boiled rice this morning and refridgerated. This evening I fried the rice for about 8 minutes in oil then added some garden peas, poured in some soy sauce, scrambled the eggs on the side for a minute then mixed into the rice, and finally added the finely chopped green stalks of the spring onions. The rest of the Spring onion went into the stirfry just before serving.

There were expletives uttered.....
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph!! Best ****ing Stir-Fry you've ever made Calibos(INSERT REAL NAME)

:D

Unfortunately I only get the urge to make a real effort on a few days every 'other' week. Thats what happens when you are feeding 6 Adults and yourself 7 days a week 365 days a year excluding lazy takeaway days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Sort-of-but-not-really enchiladas. Wholemeal wraps stuffed with rice, chili, cheese and topped with more chili & cheese, baked until all was hot and bubbly. There's a lot to be said for always having chili in the freezer

35e6fc37-7957-4de3-bd09-75842c85c7c2_zpse8cde6f5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I made burgers, this time with mustard seeds, tiny bit of cumin, onion, garlic and a heap of paprika. Had it with peppercorn sauce, sauteed onions and mushrooms, steamed broccoli, wilted spinach and sweet potato fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Real bachelor meal last night as Mrs. Beer was away. Couldn't be arsed making a sauce or anything.
    Araignee steak, pan fried blue with cubed fried potatoes and frozen sweetcorn.

5QZPgj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Lamb Moussaka (healthier version) with greek salad.

zyakk1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Real bachelor meal last night as Mrs. Beer was away. Couldn't be arsed making a sauce or anything.
    Araignee steak, pan fried blue with cubed fried potatoes and frozen sweetcorn.

That's one ginormous spider, Beer. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Early dinner out this evening to our local sushi joint, with kids so photos were impossible. Pity cause it was a wonderful spread.
    Had a box of nigiri maki mix. Plus my favourite spider soft shell crab sushi, and ebi furai temaki.
    Also a big bowl of noodles as side which was really good.
    For dessert, red bean ice cream for kids and mochi for me. I love them I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Tonight was seafood (after a week of chilli!)

Haddock topped with olives, breadcrumbs and pesto.
    Monkfish seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon and pan seared
    Served with a salad.

14155002264_1c05303cc2_c.jpg20140510_214832 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we were in Fire restaurant in Dawson St. for what they call the pre-theatre menu. I had a really nice caesar salad to start and then an amazing ribeye steak. There was fresh fruit gateau birthday cake for dessert which was fabulous. Himself had the steak too but fish cakes to start and they were excellent too. There was a large group of us so no photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had mashed potatoes, spinach and striploin steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Chicken wings with Franks, Baked potato with sour cream and chive, and corn on the cob.

306496.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Grilled chicken thighs & salad of watercress, cherry tomatoes & scallions with a little French dressing.

Then settled down for watching the Eurovision with a few G&Ts (with my mate's home brewed tonic which is amazing!) & a Toblerone.

Grilled chicken thighs & salad of watercress, cherry tomatoes & scallions with a little French dressing.

Then settled down for watching the Eurovision with a few G&Ts (with my mate's home brewed tonic which is amazing!) & a Toblerone.

Home brewed tonic? that sounds interesting. How is it made?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boiling cinchona bark (which actually gives the tonic a red colour) is the main thing. Then other flavours are added such as sugar, lemongrass, ginger & pepper.

It is quite a heavily flavoured tonic right now - lovely as a drink on its own. They need to tone it down a bit so it doesn't overpower the alcohol so much. I just had it with bog-standard Gordon's so didn't care too much, but it would not work with the high-end gins so well.

The guys have been working on this for months & hope to move it to a commercial basis by supplying a select few bars in the area here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Chinese take away last night. Duck rolls. Breast of chicken curry. Egg fried rice. Fried noodles. Chilli and garlic chicken wings. 2 cans of coke :)

That's cool. There is nothing worse than having a drink ruined by a nasty mixer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Checked out the new wood-fired pizza takeaway on the Malahide Road - Vincenzo's. They haven't got their website up yet or delivered any menus but it was still busy.

Very tasty with excellent crusty dough. Beats the pants of the pizza franchises and nearly as good as my own. Good luck to them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

We had dinner in Spago in the Portlaois Heritage last and it was delicious. Mum and I shared an antipasto dish to start, with various cured meats, pesto, balsamic vinegar, marinated peppers, salad and focaccia.

Then for mains I had seafood risotto in tomato sauce with lots of lemon juice, black pepper and parmesan. It was gorgeous but the portion was massive. No dessert, just a really nice americano.

Still full today but I think I'll manage a roast chicken dinner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

A few lovely days with guests. Friday night we had beef and three bean chilli with the works - tortillas, sour cream, cheese, jalapeños, rice, nachos...followed by crème brulee.

Saturday night (pre Eurovision party) we had pulled pork with coleslaw and fresh rolls, potato wedges and lots of dips. Scrumptious.

Today at lunchtime we had really succulent roast chicken and a range of cold salads, followed by lemon tart and whipped cream. Tonight we had the pulled pork leftovers.

Just the one photo for you from the leftovers tonight. :)

2w6ezon.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having cottage pie :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement