Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had Aldi pork meatballs in a sauce made from roasted cherry tomatoes, garlic, black pepper and pesto. It was nice but what was even nicer was the baby potato, green bean & feta salad we had with it - delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Last night we had roast beef, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, carrots, peas, turnips and gravy.
    It was absolutely gorgeous. Been ages since I had roast beef.

2mxhp40.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had roast chicken legs that were coated in salt, pepper, olive oil, cayenne pepper, cumin and dried chilli flakes.

We had it with salad which was made up of Florette salad, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and red onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night we had lasagne using Lamb mince from (I know) the English Market. It was divine - the meat was excellent and not chewy like it can be from supermarkets. Made the bechamel sauce myself but I could have made a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Had my first go off our new kitchen last night so decided to do something a bit special (for a monday :P)

Venison cooked sous vide, finished off in the pan with thyme, juniper berries and butter.
    Red wine & blueberry jus
    Potatoes cooked in stock with onions and garlic
    Braised red cabbage

IMAG0436_zpsrk1tzu0r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,936 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    That rosti looks amazing! Would you mind posting how you made it?

Thanks,
    Loire.

That's an easy one;)

There are other ways of making rosti, here's how I make mine:

Peel and coarsely grate your spuds. (I find that I need more potatoes per person than you would with say mash)
    Put grated spuds in a clean, thin table cloth and squeeze the bejasus out of it over the sink. You want to get as much liquid out as possible (you'll be amazed at how much you get out)
    Season the now pretty dry potato with salt and pepper and toss about a bit.
    Heat up a decent frying pan with some oil and butter to medium hot and add your potato.
    Push it all down and spread it out evenly with a spatula or your hands, pressing quite firmly to form a nice flat cake shape. Give the pan a shake to prevent it sticking. Rotating the rosti will also help.
    You need to cook it for about 15 minute before turning it. You want it golden brown, a bit crispy and not burnt. You need to keep an eye on it but it can be a bit tricky as you can't see the underside of it.
    To turn, grease a plate, put it over the pan and invert. The rosti will easily slide off the greased plate back into the pan with more oil and butter. Cook the other side for about 15 minutes too and turn it out on the plate again to serve.

When you turn it you'll get an idea of how you did with the heat. If it's a bit pale you can cook that side again, if it's burnt - better luck next time.

Elbow wrote: »
    Had my first go off our new kitchen last night so decided to do something a bit special (for a monday :P)

Don't mind the food...show us pics of the kitchen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Loire wrote: »
    Don't mind the food...show us pics of the kitchen :D

Waiting for the last few bits to finish it completely but I will when they arrive :-D

Cooking in a kitchen designed with cooking in mind rather than just looking pretty is fantastic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I made a big salad last night, poached turkey steak (as if I didn't have enough over the festive period), brie, radish, spring onion, rocket, iceberg and chilli flakes.

Polishing off the remainder for lunch today as below!
    4D5ACFC4-15BC-434C-BB6A-AF1808B171A4_zpseexvqpuk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Pulled pork sandwiches with rocket, homemade coleslaw, and spicy paprika wedges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

`Tonight we had Spaghetti Bolognese. A mighty fine ragu I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had turkey dopiaza with cauliflower "rice". The turkey was from the freezer and the dopiaza came from one of the Aldi jars that came so highly recommended on this forum. Absolutely delicious! Would eat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We had turkey dopiaza with cauliflower "rice". The turkey was from the freezer and the dopiaza came from one of the Aldi jars that came so highly recommended on this forum. Absolutely delicious! Would eat again.

I like to gently fry a couple of shredded onions until they're brown first to sweeten the curry and then add the meat. Then after it's cooked I add a large bunch of coriander.

As an accompaniment, I've started baking onion bahjis using buckwheat (much healthier than deep frying).
    Recipe here http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.ie/2007/12/onion-bhaji-recipe.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I like to gently fry a couple of shredded onions until they're brown first to sweeten the curry and then add the meat. Then after it's cooked I add a large bunch of coriander.

As an accompaniment, I've started baking onion bahjis using buckwheat (much healthier than deep frying).
    Recipe here http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.ie/2007/12/onion-bhaji-recipe.html?m=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had Cumberland sausages, onion gravy, mashed potato and buttered cabbage.

8ximg4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Risotto.

2lazxnt.jpg

Made with arborio rice, white wine, stock, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chorizo and parmesan, and topped with a juicy chicken breast. Really good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We also had an Aldi curry but we had tikka masala as I'm trying to increase my tolerance for heat. There was no heat in it at all though! We have the dopiaza in the cupboard to try next.

Faith wrote: »
    We also had an Aldi curry but we had tikka masala as I'm trying to increase my tolerance for heat. There was no heat in it at all though! We have the dopiaza in the cupboard to try next.

And when you're feeling braver, try the Madras. It's divine.
    Are you trying the ones that come with the little pot of spice powder on top of the lid?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fussyonion wrote: »
    And when you're feeling braver, try the Madras. It's divine.
    Are you trying the ones that come with the little pot of spice powder on top of the lid?

Yeah, those ones, going on the recommendations from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Made Bul Dak - Korean Hot & Spicy Chicken. Also made a Thai Red Chicken curry, jasmine rice and prawn crackers.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, those ones, going on the recommendations from here!

Oh they're fab.

I really never rated jarred curry sauces before until I tried these ones.
    For me, they taste very like the curry I get from the very good Indian take-away near me, and trust me, I would never have compared jarred sauces to those from an Indian take-away.

They're so great and handy; I normally add sliced red and green peppers and a diced onion, with the chicken, to bulk it up, and serve with some lovely garlic and coriander naan bread from Aldi (which is 79c and really authentic because it's soft and not too thick), and also rice.

That's an easy one;)

There are other ways of making rosti, here's how I make mine:

Peel and coarsely grate your spuds. (I find that I need more potatoes per person than you would with say mash)
    Put grated spuds in a clean, thin table cloth and squeeze the bejasus out of it over the sink. You want to get as much liquid out as possible (you'll be amazed at how much you get out)
    Season the now pretty dry potato with salt and pepper and toss about a bit.
    Heat up a decent frying pan with some oil and butter to medium hot and add your potato.
    Push it all down and spread it out evenly with a spatula or your hands, pressing quite firmly to form a nice flat cake shape. Give the pan a shake to prevent it sticking. Rotating the rosti will also help.
    You need to cook it for about 15 minute before turning it. You want it golden brown, a bit crispy and not burnt. You need to keep an eye on it but it can be a bit tricky as you can't see the underside of it.
    To turn, grease a plate, put it over the pan and invert. The rosti will easily slide off the greased plate back into the pan with more oil and butter. Cook the other side for about 15 minutes too and turn it out on the plate again to serve.

When you turn it you'll get an idea of how you did with the heat. If it's a bit pale you can cook that side again, if it's burnt - better luck next time.

Only have a fine grater, but nonetheless she's on the frying pan as we speak!

Update: it tasted great but I cooked the 2nd side for too long and an angle-grinder would have been a good idea!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I don't often post here.

Tonight's dinner was a complete experiement. Quinoa and vegetable stirfry with grilled chilli salmon and a dollop of low fat creme fraiche.

It was actually delicious. First time cooking Quinoa. Love the texture compared to similar food like cous cous.

287769.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Musefan wrote: »
    First time cooking Quinoa again. Love the texture compared to similar food like cous cous.

Not that health is the be all and end all in the forum, but it's lucky that you like it as much as something like couscous because it's far healthier for you. Couscous is actually basically pasta whereas quinoa is a protein-rich grain.

I want to like it but it tastes of bland crumbles to me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My dinner was absolutely perfect tonight - roast pork loin, goose fat roasties, marrowfat peas, carrots, stuffing and gravy... Everything was cooked perfectly and just came together right. Followed by apple and plum strudel from Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Another takeaway for me this evening, such a hectic week. Got makhani chicken with boiled rice and a garlic naan. Very good. The naan was particularly good and the garlicky-ness was a great companion to the sweet sauce. Chicken was lovely and tender and flavourful.

No more bloody takeaways, though!

*loosens belt*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,770 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a few pals over this evening for the Coddle that I made on Sunday. It was quite a multi-culti affair - an Englishman, a Tobagan & two Russians.

Starters were smoked salmon on brown bread & also white pudding with finely sliced red apple.

I was a bit concerned that the rather grim-looking coddle would not go down so good. Plates were cleared & we had a great conversation about how each country has their own meat/veg/stock dishes yet despite the basic ingredients all our dishes are so unique.

My mate from Russia brought a garlicky smoked horse sausage that we had with some spicy vodka later in the evening when our appetites returned after the mains.

We had Kilkenny Red, Guinness Special Export & Black Bush from the Irish side & then a fine 2007 Tempranillo & a 2011 Chilean Cab Sav for an international flavour.

I shall be a bit late to the office in the morning... G'night... Hic!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

dipdip wrote: »
    Risotto.
    Made with arborio rice, white wine, stock, onion, garlic, mushrooms, chorizo and parmesan, and topped with a juicy chicken breast. Really good.

Looks great! I put chorizo in risotto a little while ago - it didn't work out great - I fried it off just after the onion, I waited until oil went a just reddish with its juices and then added the arborio. It was quite rubbery though.
    Do you add it at frying up stage, or later and give it a warm through few minutes before end?
    I keep meaning to try it at warm through stage but haven't had chorizo when making risotto since!

Tonight I had a fab salad of turkey and ham (left over from Christmas dinner version 3.0 from Sunday!) with goats cheese, roasted hazelnuts, beetroot, tomato and some baby spinach dressed with truffle oil and lemon. So good!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wouldn't normally have a lot of potatoes in my diet but after reading beer revolu recipe I had to give it a try. Slightly over cooked it and presentation skills or photography skills aren't a patch on his :o. Also added a lot of cayenne pepper and smoked paprika to the recipe to spice it up a bit it tasted delicious.

Along with that had shredded carrots and spinach cooked in garlic and two spicy chops.

dinner5_zps4fd41e5b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made Lamb Kleftiko from the Cooking Club, oh my god it was delicious! :)
    It's definitely a keeper, that recipe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement