Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I love pasta but rarely eat it these days but had a craving today for some and we had some lasagna. It was tasty :)

Was going to do it with leeks but nah done it with pasta will try it with leeks next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fillet steak with chunky sweet potato chips, pepper sauce and sliced mushrooms for the steak and a side salad or rocket, spinach, rated carrot, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta and asparagus spears cooked with lemon juice.

20140509_205834.jpg

20140509_205852.jpg

20140509_205822.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Cooked pasta in a lovely homemade tomato sauce with bacon and parmesan. Really simple and really tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Next day the second steak was still good, so I just did the same again without the salad (out of carrots, rocket/spinach and tomatoes) and made normal and sweet potato gratin instead, with a small bit of red and white cheddar, parmesan and feta grilled on top plus a sprinkling of parsley.

20140428_222454.jpg

20140428_222400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Pulled pork with slaw and lettuce.

Left overs will be made into a pulled pork fried rice tomorrow evening :)

13976412289_a5c80b08b5_c.jpg20140511_195108 by Oregato, on Flickr

14160324012_a37beff4ec_c.jpg20140511_195555 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Pretty sure I saw this suggested on here somewhere, because it's where I get most of my cooking ideas, but tonight I thawed out some leftover bolognese and put it in the bottom of a pyrex dish, and cooked mac and cheese on top. It was AMAZING. Mac and cheese usually makes me a little bit sick (probably due to zero self control and a heavy hand with the cheese grater) but this was lovely, crunchy and gooey and pasta-y, and not all one taste! Also the bolognese underneath made it less one block of cheese and pasta, and more of an acceptable balanced dinner with vegetables.

mlqhLM2l.jpg

And then I undid all the balancing with these:

pXytaWIl.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Cooked pasta in a lovely homemade tomato sauce with bacon and parmesan. Really simple and really tasty

What did you put in it? Have bacon, parmesan and pasta myself so thinking about what to do with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Olive8585 wrote: »
    What did you put in it? Have bacon, parmesan and pasta myself so thinking about what to do with it!

It was a bit thrown together, Sweated down onions, celery & garlic. Added tinned chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar (all to taste, I dont really do measurements).

Blended, then reduced for about 20 minutes then passed through a sieve. Fried lardons, added to the pasta and sauce then topped with parmesan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A big-ass ribeye with scallion & tomato gravy mopped up with the rest go my Krustenkranz.

I gave the steak a dry rub & wrapped it in cling film, then poached it gently for 30 mins while I fried the scallions & tomatoes. Flash fried the steak, then deglazed the pan for more juice for the gravy.

Now having a gin with the remainder of the homemade tonic & Toblerone from last night while watching Revenge of The Sith.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Pheasant casseroled in cider, apple, celery, onion, bacon, thyme and brandy. Served with mashed pototoes, cauliflower and green beans.
    Followed by rhubarb and orange tart, served with Tesco stem ginger ice cream. Really impressed with the ice cream, and the ginger was beautiful with the rhubarb.
    Then I made some pheasant bone stock - haven't done this before, and am agog to find out if it will taste different from chicken stock in risotto!
    I have gotten out of the habit of taking photos of food - must do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Pulled pork, sausage, fries and burnt end beans from Bison Bar. Followed by (more than) a few nice relaxed Sunday evening pints. Perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

fcuk it lads i'm going to have to try bison bar or pitt bros this week....

Had a lovely roast loin of pork today, mash, carrots broccoli and gravy... gorgeous crackling off it
    Ms Brinty then made a lovely coffee cake for dessert - it was nicer then the roast dinner. She's a great baker is Ms Brinty ;)

I think both Bison Bar and Pitt Bros are terrible to be honest .

Serving sizes aren't great and find the food rather bland.

For better value and nicer food I much prefer Aussie BBQ, love the meatbox in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think both Bison Bar and Pitt Bros are terrible to be honest .

Serving sizes aren't great and find the food rather bland.

For better value and nicer food I much prefer Aussie BBQ, love the meatbox in there.

Struth mate some of the reviews of it are awful
    think i'll give It a miss and try the others

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Left over pulled pork - egg fried rice with peppers, mushroom, ginger and garlic, served on pan seared courgette.

14170845795_154ed79c82_c.jpg20140512_182950 by Oregato, on Flickr

14170900684_7c37813b2d_c.jpg20140512_183628 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Jamie Oliver's lamb rogan josh with a tin of chickpeas in it.
    So good.

Some gross oversharing now:
    I missed my usual spinning class, so had my dinner, then 30 minutes later "enjoyed" it a second time while bent over the bike doing power sprints at the later class. *Burp*.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we had lamb stew, delicious on this wet and miserable evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

33e4ls2.jpg

Mexican chicken and mixed bean stew. With rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

dipdip wrote: »

Can I have the recipe? I was going to do something Mexicany tomorrow and this looks fab :)

dipdip wrote: »

Recipe here as well please looks right up my alley :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I made a quick and easy dinner yesterday to use up the last bits and bobs in my fridge before I did my shopping.
    Penne pasta with a homemade sauce (tin of tomatoes, garlic, onion, mushroom, red pepper) with plenty of Parmesan and basil on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

fussyonion wrote: »
    Can I have the recipe? I was going to do something Mexicany tomorrow and this looks fab :)
    Recipe here as well please looks right up my alley :)

Sure, no problem. It's really easy.

I actually used leftover roast chicken which I stripped from the carcass, and jellied stock from same. I also just bunged everything in the slow cooker for the day, except the chicken which I added an hour before eating (to avoid that weird dry stringiness).

However when I am not using roast leftovers this is what I do.

Mexican Chicken Stew

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts or 6 chicken thighs
    2 chicken stock jellies
    3 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 heaped tablespoon jalapeños, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    2 cans 3 bean salad, drained and rinsed (or 2 cans of any beans that you like)
    1 can sweetcorn, drained (or equivalent frozen corn)

To season to taste:

Cumin
    Paprika
    Salt and pepper
    Sugar
    Worcestershire sauce
    Tabasco or other hot sauce

To serve: Jalapenos, rice, sour cream, grated cheddar, corn chips

Directions:

Boil the kettle and fill a large saucepan with boiling water. Put on the heat and dissolve the stock jellies. Put the chicken breasts into the stock and poach lightly until just cooked. Retain the poaching stock.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, soften the onion, chilli and garlic in a little oil. After five minutes add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on a low heat. Season liberally with plenty of cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, to your taste. Add a pinch of sugar.

Shred the chicken with two forks and add to the vegetables and beans.

Allow to simmer and reduce. Add a few ladlefuls of the poaching stock to loosen the sauce if it is too thick.

Add some turmeric or saffron to the remaining poaching stock and use this to cook your rice.

Serve!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

we had Spag Bol last night. What made the meal so good was that Mrs. Loire was away all weekend at a course I was listening to the small pair asking every 10 minutes when Mammy would be back! We had a lovely weekend but it was great fun all 4 of us chomping away at the table last night. The Spag Bol itself was great - slow cooked for 5 hours..hhmm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oxtail (why is it that when you get the tail a cow/bull/heifer/bullock becomes an ox ?) stewed with tomatoes and red wine. Wet polenta. Green beans.

752v7i.jpg

Oxtail (why is it that when you get the tail a cow/bull/heifer/bullock becomes an ox ?) stewed with tomatoes and red wine. Wet polenta. Green beans

Hiya,

That looks really good. I've never cooked Ox tail - how did you cook it?

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Oxtail (why is it that when you get the tail a cow/bull/heifer/bullock becomes an ox ?)

Because "honey we are having heifer-tail stew for dinner tonight" just doesn't sound as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Animord wrote: »
    Because "honey we are having heifer-tail stew for dinner tonight" just doesn't sound as good.

Even funnier when the slang for an older cows here is a 'stripper' :p

Mmmm stripper tail soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Even funnier when the slang for an older cows here is a 'stripper' :p

Mmmm stripper tail soup.

:D

Or suckler-tail stew?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    Hiya,

That looks really good. I've never cooked Ox tail - how did you cook it?

Loire.

Very tempted to say "I stewed it with tomatoes and red wine" (oops, I did say it)

Just a basic stew.
    I fried onions, celery, carrots and lots of whole garlic cloves, without much colour in a casserole pot. Meanwhile in a frying pan, I browned the oxtail really well and added it to the veg. Then I deglazed the pan with a some red wine and added that to the casserole with two tins of good quality tinned tomatoes, topped up to almost covering the meat with more wine. Added some bayleaves, thyme and sage (all fresh) and some whole pepper corns, some sea salt, brought it up to the boil, covered it and put in a 140 deg oven for 3 hours. Left it for two days in the fridge. Heated it up. Eated it.

Very nice.

Oh and sucking the bones clean of all meat and jelly is a must when eating. Picky people need not apply!

• Advertisement

Very tempted to say "I stewed it with tomatoes and red wine" (oops, I did say it)

Just a basic stew.
    I fried onions, celery, carrots and lots of whole garlic cloves, without much colour in a casserole pot. Meanwhile in a frying pan, I browned the oxtail really well and added it to the veg. Then I deglazed the pan with a some red wine and added that to the casserole with two tins of good quality tinned tomatoes, topped up to almost covering the meat with more wine. Added some bayleaves, thyme and sage (all fresh) and some whole pepper corns, some sea salt, brought it up to the boil, covered it and put in a 140 deg oven for 3 hours. Left it for two days in the fridge. Heated it up. Eated it.

Very nice.

Serious "Drool at the desk" episode just there :D

Thanks,
    Loire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement